Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 pearl white original paint
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

Hello,

here I want to share my new project with you. Already I started a thread in another forum from my 1950 split, but unfortunatly still have no time to continue it as there happend too much until now and is very complicated to describe though it is a very exciting story.
This story here is much more simple. I once possesed an original paint 1961 deluxe with sunroof, original paint and completely rustless, and did the mistake to sell it in need of money for the restoration of the split. The split is pretty now and in daily use, but of course not as comfortable as a 61. So as I still had some money and no chance to get my ragtop back, I decided to search a new one. On a 60 beetle I really love pearl white, so that was the only thing to search. And now I found this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine is still matching, although I recognized wrong parts at least the carb, dizzy and aircleaner with its aluminium air hose. What I love on that car is, that it is a 1960, with small rear lights, transparent turning lights and the sandstone and silverbeige interior. What I absolutely hate is the hole in the roof for an antenna, and also the switch and holes orgy that took place at the dashboard. Otherwise, They even kept the original two coverplates for the radio and also the fuel watch. This is, where I want to go. But I think welding these holes but keeping as much og paint as possible will be a challenge...
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

That is to find under the dress

but solid:

The heater channel on the passanger side is very solid

the other one has some crispy spots:

what would you suggest?

Both a-pillars have some trouble

what do you think?
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

That is a beautiful looking 1960. looks like it has been taken very good care of.
Great pic's also, Thanks.
You are so lucky. Wink

Do people in Europe still use the small tag's like on the rear of your bug [D] to tell what country they are from ? I see a lot of them around here, esp. on bugs.

Last edited by lboos on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

Engine matching? That's not a 1960 model year engine. I think you may mean a 1960 calendar year engine, since cars made after August 1960 would have been 1961 model year and would have the, as-depicted, 34bhp (40HP SAE) engine instead of the previous 1960 30bhp (36HP SAE) unit.

Also, the car has the grab handle on the dashboard, another feature that became standard for model year 1961. I also see a windshield washer nozzle, another addition for 61, and the dash knob doesn't have a pneumatic button on it, so it must have the pump bulb attached to it. Looks like a 61 hood though, where the emblem area is still flat.

However, I see an empty hole on the dashboard, where the 1960 and older manual choke cable would have been mounted. I also see a fuel gauge, which wasn't made standard until model year 62. Must have been upgraded? (Tail lights are also 62, but "home market" (German) cars got this change a few months ahead of the rest of the world during model year 61, and I know a lot of European cars got upgraded on their tail lights in subsequent years. Oh, and an emergency flasher upgrade as well? )

I've owned 5 Beetles in my life, all with 1961 or 1962 bodies on them. So I'm pretty up with those years Deluxe models.

Now, I do know that the Standard model kept the 30bhp engine for many years after 1961, but this car has too much chrome trim on it to be one of those.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Engine matching? That's not a 1960 model year engine. I think you may mean a 1960 calendar year engine, since cars made after August 1960 would have been 1961 model year and would have the, as-depicted, 34bhp (40HP SAE) engine instead of the previous 1960 30bhp (36HP SAE) unit.

Also, the car has the grab handle on the dashboard, another feature that became standard for model year 1961. I also see a windshield washer nozzle, another addition for 61, and the dash knob doesn't have a pneumatic button on it, so it must have the pump bulb attached to it. Looks like a 61 hood though, where the emblem area is still flat.

However, I see an empty hole on the dashboard, where the 1960 and older manual choke cable would have been mounted. I also see a fuel gauge, which wasn't made standard until model year 62. Must have been upgraded? (Tail lights are also 62, but "home market" (German) cars got this change a few months ahead of the rest of the world during model year 61, and I know a lot of European cars got upgraded on their tail lights in subsequent years. Oh, and an emergency flasher upgrade as well? )

Yes you are right, it is model year 1961 but built in 1960. These first 40hp cars are very rare here, I observed the ads about many years. Pearl white cars built from 1960 to 1963 are also rarely advertised.
Under the magnets are also holes... the taillights have been upgraded, also the yellow turning lights, the car was built with white ones. Emergency flasher was also added due to new laws. Some more holes:

I want to bring it back to stock condition and already have a iginiton key cylinder with matching door key cylinder. So I have to weld the big holes also to get the little hole for the screw that holds the ignition.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
That is a beautiful looking 1960. looks like it has been taken very good care of.
Great pic's also, Thanks.
You are so lucky. Wink

Do people in Europe still use the small tag's like on the rear of your bug [D] to tell what country they are from ? I see a lot of them around here, esp. on bugs.

Since we have euro-number plates (since 1994), it is not necesseary any longer to use a "D" tag or sticker.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

I wondered about the VW embleme with 4 clips, as my 61 had 3 clips:

Otherwise the hood is depreciated, because of a load of bondo and blown from a hammer

Good news are a solid spare wheel compartment

but the VIN tag is missing. I have contacted a french guy, who reproduces these tags but have no answer by now.

Other solid areas from the inside

and outside

my biggest concern are the heater channel and a-pillars. I think of first ice blasting the undercoat...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

Cool, it's a 61. Cool

Another detail I see wrong for an early 61 is that the oil filler has a vent hose coming off of it going to the air cleaner. That wasn't added until mid April 61.

Early 61s would have been like this:

And late 61s like this:

The hood emblem changed during 1961. What I've dubbed the "1962 hood" started during 1961. I call it that because it was the only hood used for model year 62, but it started a few months before that and lasted a couple of months after. Jan 2nd 1961 is when they changed from 4 tabs to three pins. And October 62 is when the emblem got slightly larger and the mounting area on the hood was "punched up"

I also notice the metal "loop" pipe going from distributor to carburetor. That wasn't changed until during model year 62.

Oh, wait, do I see a Garbe Lahmeyer distributor? Cool, dude!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

Thank you for this hint, as it will take some time to find that air cleaner and also the oil filler, I will let it as is for a while. But it's on the searchlist now. Is the oilfiller the same as for 36hp?
The vacuum pipe will be replaced by a hose.
Minutes ago, I ordered rear lights in a very good condition.

Last edited by pastellgreen on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm quite the '40HP guru' that some have called me, but I do know more than most about them. I've always had a 40hp engine (albeit, big-bored) in my own 62. So when I point out things, I'm just trying to give information, not being critical, because the changes over the years are often upgrades and I can understand why someone would go and retrofit them. I've had to decide between functionality vs. originality myself on many occasions.

Tail lights, oof, that's a can of worms!

The wiring between 61 and 62 style turn signals and brake lights were entirely different. If the car has been changed to 62 style, you won't just be able to retrotfit to 61/older unless you rewire along with changing the turn signal switch. Well, actually it depends on how they managed the change to 62 style turn signals. You can adapt the 61 switch to that style of operation, however you can't adapt the 62 switch to the 61 style.

There is a reason they changed the tail lights, better visibility, and while I love the classic look of the 61/older tail lights, functionally I think the 62-67 style is MUCH better.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

The Garbe Lahmeyer is frozen. I have noticed some marks, been hit from hammer and screw driver, obviously someone tried it aome time ago without success. The engine is running strong, although timing is wrong (late), I will replace the distributor by a correct Bosch but keep the Lahmeyer for showing. As I want to drive very much, I need a reliable distributor where you get spare parts for all the time. With Bosch, I only had good experiences, there might be a reason, why Garbe Lahmeyer was only a second vendor.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

All you can do is to cut out the rot, replace it & then have one of those spot paint guys that the dealers use to match & blend the new sections.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
The Garbe Lahmeyer is frozen. I have noticed some marks, been hit from hammer and screw driver, obviously someone tried it aome time ago without success. The engine is running strong, although timing is wrong (late), I will replace the distributor by a correct Bosch but keep the Lahmeyer for showing. As I want to drive very much, I need a reliable distributor where you get spare parts for all the time. With Bosch, I only had good experiences, there might be a reason, why Garbe Lahmeyer was only a second vendor.

Well, just because GL was 2nd, doesn't mean they sucked! Their distributors do a have a distinct look to them, but only hardcore VW fans would be able to spot it. Now, Bosch was the main supplier and that's all I've ever run on my 40HPs.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I don't know if I'm quite the '40HP guru' that some have called me, but I do know more than most about them. I've always had a 40hp engine (albeit, big-bored) in my own 62. So when I point out things, I'm just trying to give information, not being critical, because the changes over the years are often upgrades and I can understand why someone would go and retrofit them. I've had to decide between functionality vs. originality myself on many occasions.

Tail lights, oof, that's a can of worms!

The wiring between 61 and 62 style turn signals and brake lights were entirely different. If the car has been changed to 62 style, you won't just be able to retrotfit to 61/older unless you rewire along with changing the turn signal switch. Well, actually it depends on how they managed the change to 62 style turn signals. You can adapt the 61 switch to that style of operation, however you can't adapt the 62 switch to the 61 style.

There is a reason they changed the tail lights, better visibility, and while I love the classic look of the 61/older tail lights, functionally I think the 62-67 style is MUCH better.

Yes, I once had a 63 and two 61 and know this case. Here, the original turn signal switch is gone and on my searchinglist. I already have contacted someone, who might have a switch with 6 ports. BUT: Here in Germany, we have to add warning lights due to law. So I will use the same relay, I have on my split. It is special and can deal with this case easily. You simply connect the turn signal switch (whatever model), the wiring for the turn and brake lights and the warning switch, thats all.
I have to give the steering wheel to a company for making a spectral analysis anyway, so the turn signal switch can be painted correctly.
I always drive very much with beetles, as I have never had any other sort of car. When I have to change dircetion, overtaking someone, I always drive secure, watching and driving, as if no one would ever see my intend. So I never had a real problem due to the little tail lights.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
All you can do is to cut out the rot, replace it & then have one of those spot paint guys that the dealers use to match & blend the new sections.

Thank you, yes that is what I want to do. But in this case, we touch a special theme, as the car is painted in a single stage resin enamel paint. These paints are frobidden in Germany, due to healthy and enviromental reasons. But you can still get them, some painter have licences to spray these. I will only (!) use this kind of paint, so there is a good liaison with the original paint. In Germany, we say: Stay within one (paint) system!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
In Germany, we say: Stay within one (paint) system!

Yeah, pretty sure you just made that shit up. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:

I have to give the steering wheel to a company for making a spectral analysis anyway, so the turn signal switch can be painted correctly.

It's not the just the turn switch that is in that colour, the steering column tube and its mounting bracket, shift lever, and hand brake lever as well.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

Its all original paint in that car, so there is only left the switch and the mounting bracket (that has to be replaced when swapping the steering lock) to spray.
Is it yours?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:
In Germany, we say: Stay within one (paint) system!

Yeah, pretty sure you just made that shit up. Laughing

This really is a common phrase in industrial and mechanical art.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 pearl white original paint Reply with quote

Also the tie rod ends are original and greaseable... and all the other hard to find parts are all there: The upholstery (additionally I still keep a batch of fabric for it), the side panels, the rubber mats including the kick panels at the rear,...

But still have to fetch the car, perhaps second weekend of January.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: