Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
There is a thread about upgrading clutches under something like VR6 clutch.

I think this is the thread you're referring to:
MTDI VR6 Clutch Upgrade

old_man wrote:
Maybe I will hold off on the clutch upgrade then. Current one has less than an oil change on it.

Here's a link to the TDI input shaft that allows you to bolt on the 228mm clutch and pressure plate (VR6/TDI Mk3 Golf, Jetta).
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/input-shaft-t3-tdi.html

Mark_Ward is right that you can get by with the 1.6d clutch if you're gentle with it, but eventually it'll start slipping. When that happened on mine, it meant renting another vehicle to continue the road trip and then nursing the van home a few hundred miles (AHU TDI).

Even if you don't plan to upgrade to the 228mm clutch now, you might consider grabbing that input shaft while it's still readily available.

I'm not familiar with the ABH, but this link lists the gear ratios:
http://www.rjes.com/html/gearbox_types.html
And you can use this link to calculate:
https://weddleindustries.com/gear-calculator

For whatever it's worth, Mike at Rancho recommended 3000RPM @ 65MPH for a (my) TDI vanagon. Looks like with the stock ABH you're going to be screaming on the freeway, and anything over 3300 in the TDI isn't exactly the most comfortable experience.

If I were doing it again, I'd really consider building up a later transmission, but it means swapping the entire shift linkage. Lack of garage space made that impossible for me, but it sounds like it could be an option for you.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

erste,

Thanks for the input and the link to the calculator. I've been looking for a good one and that is certainly a good one. It seems if I change my 4th from .78 to .70 it would put me in a decent spot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

Good luck! You went from 0 to 100 in a post or two. Cool

AndyBees posted about his gearing and peak torque in this thread on tdiclub. Might be helpful:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=279543&page=18

This series on youtube is worth a watch as you're looking into the swap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmqdYNkykXE

There's a more recent thread in here that I'm looking for about driving-style with the TDI. I'll post back when I find it because the discussion was interesting.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

I read thru most of this thread up to this point........quite interesting..

OP, I rebuilt the 091 (from a 1980 air-cool) that I installed in an 84 Vanagon for my ALH TDI build project (rolled out of my little garage, August, 2012). It is the DK code with 4.57 Ring & Pinion. It now has over 82k miles on it. As some of you may know, I've pulled a popup camper to Alaska and back twice with no tranny issues.

I've rebuilt several 002 transmissions (1968-1975 Transporters). The 091 is quite similar (1976-1983). Both, require the use of a jig to set the gear shifting forks. As I understand, the 002 and 091s are more difficult to assemble than the 091/1 and 094 (Syncro). It is my understanding that the 091/1 doesn't require the use of a jig......... not been there yet.

When I rebuilt the 091 for the TDI project, I had never opened a VW manual trans previously...... had no specialty tools either. Anyway, I replaced all syncros, all bearings except the pinion, upgraded the 3rd & 4th hub/slider and gears as well as replaced shifting forks and reverse gear. After the rebuild, the tranny has always had a whine in 3rd and 4th when letting up on the accelerator (coasting in gear). I just assume that the whine is from those thick cut aftermarket gears..

I'm waiting on the availability of a new 4.13 Ring & Pinion from Weddle. I plan to rebuild another DK to include the 4.13 with the same upgrades for 3rd and 4th gears. If my calculations are correct, the 4:13 R&P should result in a substantial drop in RPMs. The 4.57 R&P in my current DK air-cool tranny with .77 4th and 215/75/15 tires result in about 3050 RPMs at 70 mph.

As for clutches......... well, unlike Mark, the OE clutch/pressure plate for the Diesel tranny would slip in my set-up and this was before a Stage 1 Malone Tune. So, I installed a SMF and later installed the input shaft to accept the TDI clutch disc. I ran this for about 20k to 30k miles. Then, I installed a SACH Dual Mass Flywheel/Clutch assembly.......... never happier! It is extremely quiet and smooth. Yes, the inside of the bell housing required clearancing in two or three spots....... no big deal. The OE Vanagon clutch disc can be used in place of the disc that comes with a DMF package (thus, no need for the upgraded TDI style input shaft).

I got all of my parts from Weddle. Their web site is easy to use.

Following this interesting Thread...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

There already is a noticeable gap between 3 and 4 in the ABH, so think about making the third longer too.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
There already is a noticeable gap between 3 and 4 in the ABH, so think about making the third longer too.

Ya, I was looking at that last night. That would be two gear sets I need.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

This rebuilding CD is a good investment

http://www.longenterprises.com/Rebuilders_course_photo_gallery/index.htm
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
This rebuilding CD is a good investment

http://www.longenterprises.com/Rebuilders_course_photo_gallery/index.htm

I've emailed them twice. No luck. I'm hesitant to ask someone to burn me a copy as it's stealing from long enterprises but if they have closed up shop and are no longer selling.....

Also, I think that CD is for a 091 not a 091/1
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:

I've been playing with the gear calculator. If I do a 0.70 4th and a 1.14 3rd that puts me at 63mph and 38 mph at 3000rpm respectively. Does that make sense? Does that create too much of a gap between 2 and 3?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

In my setup, the ring and pinion makes all the gears taller. This allowed me to run a slightly taller 4th. .77 You don't even notice the rpm drop between the stock 3rd and 4th. The stock 3rd gets used all the time when not on the highway. It seems perfect for mountains as well. Your results may vary.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

I would not exclude the possibility of swapping the R+P. Having very short 1st and 2nd when taller 3rd and 4th are desired seems counterproductive. Consider 4.57 or 4.14 with the gears as they currently are.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I would not exclude the possibility of swapping the R+P. Having very short 1st and 2nd when taller 3rd and 4th are desired seems counterproductive. Consider 4.57 or 4.14 with the gears as they currently are.

I've honestly thought about it. It would work. There would be difficulties fitting it as I cant measure pinion depth but I suppose I could over come this by trial and error and gear paint. The bigger problem is that they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Edit: 4.83 seems to be available. I think that could work. 64mph at 3000
Edit 2: I found a 4.14. elsewhere.

Last edited by old_man on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

Have you looked here:

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/pinion-crown-gear-for-vw-t3-bus

FWIW, the shaft of the 5-speed R+P can be shortened and used as a 4-speed. Even after shipping they are likely less expensive than the North American big hitters. If you register for a free account and log in all the prices go down by ~15%. That's also a good place to get the Vanagon TDI input shaft so you can run a complete TDI clutch kit.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

Thanks Waldo, I just found them.

Edit: I found some at brickwerks that are even cheaper. So say I can cut a 5 into a 4? That is nice. What would you say the difficulty of installing a new one in would be without a way to measure depth is? I don't know if 4.57 or 4.14 is better. 4.57 is cheaper.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

From my experience the 4.57 (stock 1st and 2nd DK gearing) was acceptable, but you'd be shifting out of first before crossing the intersection. With the 4.14 first gear is more usable, shift point seems more like a 'normal' vehicle.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

OP, this graph pretty much mirrors the real world with the 4.57 R&P in my DK tranny with 1.14 3rd and .77 4th. The representation is with 215/75/15 tires.

The bottom plot is for 1st gear and on up is 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.

Notice there is about a 1500 RPM drop from 1st to 2nd...... a 1400 RPM drop from 2nd to 3rd, and then a 1100 RPM drop from 3rd to 4th. This has worked just fine. However, I did this graph before I put the vehicle on the road. So, my real world shift points are very near 3000 RPMs and I cruise at 3050 RPMs in 4th which is 70 MPH. And, running the RPMs up higher in each gear puts the TDI engine close to peak torque (about 1900 RPM) when shifted to the next gear.

The necessary early shift from 1st to 2nd is not a problem. Sooner or later you have to shift is how I see it.

A 4.14 R&P will look about the same on the graph. Of course, I suspect the most noticeable difference would be when pulling out in 1st and then the lower RPMs necessary to maintain a certain speed in 4th gear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

AndyBees,

I would have slightly smaller tires than you coming in at around 27. Currently I have 1.23 3rd and a .78 4th. Maybe the 4.57 is right for me then and leave all else the same. I think it would look very similar to your set up except 3rd.

Curious, did you swap out the pinion yourself?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
AndyBees,

I would have slightly smaller tires than you coming in at around 27. Currently I have 1.23 3rd and a .78 4th. Maybe the 4.57 is right for me then and leave all else the same. I think it would look very similar to your set up except 3rd.

Curious, did you swap out the pinion yourself?

Yeah, I doubt if there would be a very noticeable difference in the 1.14 and 1.23 3rd gear ratios. On my county road (about 5 miles), I never shift into 4th gear. 3rd gear handles it really well.

My tranny was from a 1980 Van with everything buggered about 3rd and 4th gears, including the shifting fork as well as a highly questionable reverse gear. I removed all gears and bearings off the Pinion Shaft except the pinion bearing. In fact, the pinion bearing is the only one I did not replace. It "felt" good, so I did not replace it. And, of course, I did the same for the main shaft. The info in the Bentley is more than adequate enough to do the work.

Point of interest, for break-in, I did several oil changes the first 5k miles with the first one at a little over 500 miles. I started off with "used" settled dino oil. Then I replaced it with new dino oil ......... did that change several times. For the last 10k miles, I've been using Pennzoil Synchromesh synthetic.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

Seems like I'm getting a growing consensus that going to a 4.57 would be the best solution. If anyone in the future reads this please note that I have a bit of an unusual stock transmission compared to other North American models.

I'm currently building a shopping cart at Brickwerks, much like Waldo said Euro prices seem to be cheaper that Weddle. Sometimes considerably. I'm hoping it's not a quality issue. Seeing as I am going to have to exchange currency and pay outrageous UPS fees either way, I might as well go with the cheaper option. I think some stuff I still need from Weddle. Back to the reason I started this thread, I'm still trying to figure out all the bearings I am going to need. Perhaps it would be wisest if I tear into my transmission tomorrow.
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission 091/1 rebuild parts kit vendors/ Rebuild planning Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
T3messie wrote:

I've been playing with the gear calculator. If I do a 0.70 4th and a 1.14 3rd that puts me at 63mph and 38 mph at 3000rpm respectively. Does that make sense? Does that create too much of a gap between 2 and 3?

Yes, and the gap between 3 and 4 is big again.
If your wallet is able to change R and P, that way is the right one.
Andybees setup sounds just right, you already have the "long" fourth, a change of the third to 1,14 is possible, but not necessary. The TDI-torque should overwhelm that gap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: