Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 with antenna and radio delete
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

I have been curious to an answer for this. When I got my '61 it was all original right down to the radio delete plate, but it had an antenna. I understand that the dealers installed the antennas, but WHY install one if there is no radio to begin with? It seems like a waste of time and money for the dealer and customer to have an antenna installed. I suppose if someone wanted one added after the fact it would be ready. I restored my '61 bug back to stock with the radio delete plate and didn't even install an antenna back on the car. Any insight will cure my curiosity.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

I own two model year 1961 sedans and in both cases, a radio and antenna have been installed and in both cases (!) the original delete plates heve been kept with the car!
In your case, perhaps a previous owner did not want a radio (like me) and reused also the original delete plate. For the antenna, he probably had no idea how to remove it without leaving the hole in the body.
One of my cars, I deleted the antenna and welded the hole, as it was at a very eye catching place over the wind shields top. The other car, I have already installed the delete cover plate but kept the hole of the antenna, still has to be welded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am still curious though as I have traced back the car to the owner after it was new and he said there was never a radio in it, just the delete plate.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

Overzealous dealer tech... drilled the antenna hole in the wrong car.....

Easier to add an antenna and possibly upsell the radio rather than repair the hole.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

One possible explanation...

If he bought it off the lot, but didn't want a radio, it may have been removed by the dealer before he took delivery.

Back in the day, the radio was worth money but the antenna may not have been worth the trouble of closing/plugging the hole, at dealer rates.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

Some great input. I guess your guess is as good as mine. Just found it odd as I was thinking about it. Like putting bluetooth in without a source to run it these days.

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
I own two model year 1961 sedans and in both cases, a radio and antenna have been installed and in both cases (!) the original delete plates heve been kept with the car!

Same thing on my 58, dealer installed radio, with the original block off plate still in the glovebox. A nice little piece to have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

I like these guesses because I've had 2 VWs that had antennas but no evidence of any radio ever and I always thought that was weird.

Radio antenna installed but original block offs still in place.

One of them even had speakers cut into the door panels but no evidence of any wiring to the doors.
I think a previous owner did that one and then gave up when he either didn't want to or couldn't figure out how to run the wiring.
I should probably Rolling Eyes that but at least they didn't hack anything further, it was easy to fix the door panels.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

Ok. Sounds like Everett had the same thing. I am 99% sure the plate had never been removed just by looking at the patina on the dashboard when I got it. I am assuming that it was part of the dealer prep list when the car arrived at the dealership...no radio...oh well. Install the antenna anyway since it is part of our list.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

If the delete plate was never removed there should be grey putty over the retaining tabs.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 with antenna and radio delete Reply with quote

same here, radio delete plate and antenna on my 67 Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: