Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did I break my selector forks?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Did I break my selector forks? Reply with quote

While attempting to put the shifter in the cab ( didn’t go well), I had an issue I wanted to explore and pulled out the front shifter rod; this pulled the middle rod forward with it a few inches. I now can neither push the middle rod backwards nor move it from side to side - did I manage to pull apart or jam the selector forks and/or hockey stick? Any way to fix from outside? If the solution requires taking out the transmission and removing nose cone, will any damage be done to trans or gears by rolling the car before dropping trans?
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Did I break my selector forks? Reply with quote

Hard to say from here. Probably best to pull the transaxle just enough to get to remove the nose cone and see what is what in there.

If you have to move the bus the transaxle might be stuck in two gears and that could damage parts in there.
You can get those "car tire dollies" from Harbor Freight if need be.
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I break my selector forks? Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm trying to imagine what happened; I don't see how the hocket stick could come loose from the selector shafts. I didn't shove anything hard enough to break anything (I assume!). I suppose the trans could have been in gear, and the shifter rod pulling forward may have placed the hockey stick in a different gear at same time. There was a post mentioning that if this was the case, opening the fill port and moving the slider back into neutral.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674868

I'll try that this weekend. Tire dollies work with tires on! Also, there's a steep slope right off my garage, so if I want to take truck to a shop to fix this, I definitely don't want it on tire dollies... ebrakes are only brakes working right now.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I break my selector forks? Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
...pulled out the front shifter rod; this pulled the middle rod forward with it a few inches. I now can neither push the middle rod backwards nor move it from side to side -

Have you undone the rear coupler and tried the hockey stick motion?
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I break my selector forks? Reply with quote

Hi BarryL; I needed to post an update so thanks for the prodding!

I read a bunch and talked to my local shop, and verrry carefully rocked the wheels and they moved, so the trans didn't appear to be jammed or stuck in any way. I then unbolted the long shifter rod from the hockey stick - getting it out was a pain, as of course the stick was pulled out and left almost no room to pull the coupler off the end. I was finally able to do so by removing the bellows on the shifter rod side, and lots of swearing (and not caring if I ripped th boot). Once it was separated, I carefully wiggled the stick clockwise and counter and got perhaps 1/8" play between 'clicks' where it hit something and stopped. With the shifter rod off, I was able to get some leverage on the hockey stick end and so gently but firmly pushed it backwards... it slid back and clicked into place! I was then able to rotarte it properly, and could feel it contacting the three shifter shafts in turn inside the nose cone as I rotated it (I pulled it out a smidge to feel it contact them). The divot for the setscrew is facing down and lines up with the coupler setscrew hole, so I assume it is in neutral . Turning the output shaft I feel no resistance, but there is a slight scraping sound for about 1/4 a revolution; not sure if it is something inside nosecone or the gearbox, or if it is a bad sound or what.

So it appears that it had gotten stuck almost but not quite in a gear, that it is hopefully back in neutral, and that hopefully nothing was damaged. That doesn't solve the shifter issues but at least I'm back to square one. I'll be hijacking the '65 shifting issue' thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=788582 for that one...
-Robert Williams
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I break my selector forks? Reply with quote

Just normally selecting reverse has the hockey-stick move quite far forward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: