Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AHU fuel injector pump wires disconnected. Easy fix?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W87HTCANADA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: AHU fuel injector pump wires disconnected. Easy fix? Reply with quote

Hello, first post! I'm sorry to be asking for help right away without adding much value back into the community yet. I recently purchased an 87 Westy. There have been several small issues that I've managed to resolve, but now I'm stumped and had to have my van towed.

I was idling at a light and the van died. It would not restart. I had been fidling with some of the coolant lines earlier after an overheating issue and I'm wondering if I did some damage.

There's a connector with wires going into the fuel injector pump. Two of them are completely disconnected (see photo). Could this be the issue? If so, how would I go about re-connecting these? Is that possible?

Side note, perhaps related (?) I replaced all four of my fuel injector lines after 2 of them snapped last week. I just screwed the new ones in place. Was there more to it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: AHU fuel injector pump wires disconnected. Easy fix? Reply with quote

I'm not sure what these wires are doing but you would need a tool to extract the pins, crimp new ones and re-clip them into the housing. Inspect the wires are not hardened/caked or it will happen again.
Doesn't seem like a fun location to do so, and you'll need tools you don't have.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AHU fuel injector pump wires disconnected. Easy fix? Reply with quote

Do you have Ross Tech VCDS software running on a laptop and their ODB dongle? If wires have broken away from the engine harness and the engine is not running, it should be throwing codes.

Generally brown wires are ground connections. Yellow with a red tracer triggers a sensor wire memory.

Maybe edit you picture or point to which connector they have broken away from. In a pinch, you can remove the old terminal and resolder to the wire end. If length is an issue you can solder in a section of wire. Then solder the terminal.

Another option would be a junk yard and cut a section of that harness or go with a weather pak connector. I am using a T6 connector in my engine harness. Good luck sorting it out. Maybe PM member Waldo. He has a lot of diesel specific knowledge.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: AHU fuel injector pump wires disconnected. Easy fix? Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

I run a Canadian AHU as well - unfortunately my van, engine and spare wiring harness are 2000km away from me right now, along with my MK3 Bentley manuals.

Do you have a MK3 Bentley, with the red cover? Virtually all of the online pdf versions are missing the diesel wiring diagrams from page 97-124 (or so) onwards, so I think you'll need a physical copy. That will go a LONG way to solving the wiring mysteries in short order. If I *can* find an online pdf of those diagrams (no luck so far) I'll pm you with the relevant diagram.

Even if your AHU came out of a donor Canadian MKIV, the MKIV manual only has ALH diagrams and you have to revert to the earlier Bentley.

If it was running after your fuel injector lines were replaced, I doubt that's the issue. Any broken wire in the harness is not good news, going to be really hard to troubleshoot without that fixed first, regardless. Were the wires already broken before you had the sudden dying issue?

You may still be able to find a smashed AHU at Kenny U-Pull in Quebec, I've only been to the La Prairie one but they have a vast inventory province-wide. It would be easiest (as MarkWard says) to cut the full plug off an engine (blasphemy, I know, but you'll freeze to death in Quebec in winter trying to pull a whole harness) with as much spare wire as you can, and splice it into yours.

Edit - I see La Prairie Kenny's has a blue '01 and green '02 TDI, and Montreal has a red '02 TDI. Might be a good starting point IF you're near Montreal or the south shore. Not sure when the ALH switchover happened in Canada, something to watch for.

Edit 2 - you DO have a new-ish timing belt on, right? And it sounds 'normal' turning over? Never discount a slipped/stripped timing belt on those engines if you don't KNOW 100% that it's been changed. I'd pull the upper timing cover and inspect while you're in there anyway.

It's always REALLY tempting to just assume that the last thing you fiddled with is causing problems, which can lead to troubleshooting tunnel vision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: