Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank You ! 😀
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I also need to figure out which bows to use. Wouldn’t all the bugs use the same length ?
The old bows are longer and curved at one end. They are also more spindly.
I may have taken the shorter heavier ones out of the 70 but I don’t remember. I guess I also need to paint whichever ones I use ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Well, let’s try another question.
Anyone know the part number or correct name for this piece that ties the wiper motor to the wiper blades ? It the little barrel with the teeth and a set screw. I can’t find the info anywhere

Also, I can’t find the rubber plugs that cover the brake adjustment holes for a 60. The only one I can find are fot 67 or so up. Will these fit ?
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

After looking at the parts diagram for a 60 and not seeing the wiper piece I was asking about I’m starting to wonder if I even need one as I didn’t see one in the parts diagram . Was this for aftermarket type wipers ? I’m also wondering which blades I should order. The ones for the earlier bugs don’t look as though they will fit on my assembly.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
After looking at the parts diagram for a 60 and not seeing the wiper piece I was asking about I’m starting to wonder if I even need one as I didn’t see one in the parts diagram . Was this for aftermarket type wipers ? I’m also wondering which blades I should order. The ones for the earlier bugs don’t look as though they will fit on my assembly.

That is for some aftermarket wiper. It's not to hard to find stock wipers for a '59-'64 Bug. They have a small bolt inside that pinches them directly on the wiper shaft, you can just see the edge of the bolt head hiding behind the wiper arm body in the lower picture. There are replacement wiper arms that pinch around the shaft. They are a little bulkier but less likely to slip on the wiper shaft. They use same wiper blades as the original style arms.

Picture of the replacement style from chink13:

Picture of an original '60 arm from flyboy161:

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank you.
Do you think I’d be better off with some later style wipers ?
Some of the posts I read talked of poor rubber quality or an inability to actually wipe the window completely with the older style.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Started on the vinyl headliner today.
Couple thoughts
Never, ever, again !
Foam padding sucks !
Whole operation sucks !
😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I almost have the headliner done. There was nothing about what I’ve already done that was so appealing that I would ever do it again. Part of the issue is just not knowing what to expect. I watched all the videos . Also, in the beginning ( first piece ) I had adhesive that failed. I’m not all that happy with the way it’s turning out either but ? Anyway, It might look like shite but at least it’s my shite 😀 ( and no upholstery guys around here would even touch it. Not even the vw guys 😬🙄 )
A heads up on consumables. Never buy anything that says instant tack. Stay clear of the pre cut foam kit. Cut yer own . Whatever it looks like before putting vinyl on it is the way it will look afterwards. Duh !! And, if you buy a pack of these tools make sure you sand the top edge where the molds left a very slight rough line . I didn’t notice it till damage was done.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Working on back and rear side windows.
I can’t seem to get the rubber to stay on the rear glass . I can get it on but the groove is shallow and it won’t stay on. I’ve tried everything. I also tried putting the trim in , taping it , then putting it on . Nothing works. Maddening !
Maybe I need to order another , from another dealer ?

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I got the rubber back on for the second time. Took an hour. I’m scared to even try putting the trim on. It sure would be nice to put the window in then put the trim on but everyone says it’s not possible. 😩
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Bought new trim
Came bent all to hell !

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Thank you.
Do you think I’d be better off with some later style wipers ?
Some of the posts I read talked of poor rubber quality or an inability to actually wipe the window completely with the older style.

The original style flat wiper blades work very well on flat glass. The problem is mostly the wiper arm slipping on the shaft. The SWF replacement style fixes that problem, if you can find them. Later wiper motors don’t just bolt in place on pre- ‘65 Bugs so going to the late bolt on style arm would involve some fabrication, then you would have to find late type blades short enough for your tiny flat windshield.

Sucks on that trim!
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

These are the wipers I have coming.
I had two originals but they were really rusty so I just got these. What is SWF ?

The company is sending me new trim. I hope fedex is kind to this order.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

After trying again to install rubber trim on rear window I gave up and ordered another rubber.
I had bought this one a few years ago. No matter what I did I could not get the trim on without failure. I tried everything including tape and clamps. It’s almost as if the grove for the glass itself is too shallow.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

SWF is/was a major German automotive supplier. Stands for Spezial Werkzeugfabrik Feuerbach (special tool factory Feuerbach, a district of Stuttgart).
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks
I learn something new every day playing with these cars
I just looked them up. Looks like they make a lot of parts for vw’s
I imagine the wipers I ordered aren’t SWF. Probably Chinese ! 😀
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Very few aftermarket parts seem to fit without modification !
Latest is trim for hood and VW emblem
The molding is made different . The lip underneath doesn’t go down far enough to catch the clip on the new part. I suppose I’ll JB weld in the clip unless someone has a better fix.
The VW emblem is too wide and it doesn’t seat properly. Did I get the wrong item ?

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I did manage to install new visors without any issues.
brass gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Very few aftermarket parts seem to fit without modification !
Latest is trim for hood and VW emblem
The molding is made different . The lip underneath doesn’t go down far enough to catch the clip on the new part. I suppose I’ll JB weld in the clip unless someone has a better fix.
The VW emblem is too wide and it doesn’t seat properly. Did I get the wrong item ?

They suck. You’re right. The new moulding isn’t formed properly to hold the clips in. I had this issue when I was replacing mine. I think my solution was to mark with tape where the clips were and carefully bend down the inner lip so they’d grab it and sit down better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: