Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Shout out to Chickensoup!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

I think we need to recognize those who have helped us? I saw no other place to post this, if I crossed a boundary, sorry.

As one may recall, Chickensoup asked for practice using his lathe. The socket size needed to remove subframe bolts on a classic Mercedes would not fit in the well, so asked, and he turned down the socket to fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Worked very well, glad to have it and get what is left of junk metal out of the garden (keeping the subframe).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Again, thank you Aiden for the help, much appreciated! Very Happy
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member


Joined: November 13, 2016
Posts: 7262
Location: Canada
oprn is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Cool!
_________________
I never finish anything, I have a black belt in partial arts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member


Joined: November 30, 2003
Posts: 2013
Location: Seekonk,Massachusetts USA
APPLEGREENVW is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

What model classic Mercedes was that? W123?
_________________
Parts for sale https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=APPLEGREENVW

02/76 Beetle sedan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
What model classic Mercedes was that? W123?


Sadly, yes, was a 1979 TD. The previous owner(s) did her in. The one I bought it from, he was an alcoholic and when the breathalyzer was installed they really made a mess of the wiring. His "mechanic" where the vehicle was stored, shouldn't have been anywhere near even a lawnmower. The worst was they ran the engine without an air filter then wondered why soon the engine had low compression. Rolling Eyes Plus, ran it on unfiltered used vegetable oil out of a plastic can sitting in the back with a fuel line run along the rocker and through the firewall, of course with no grommet. When I started looking hard there was a lot of rust, most wasn't visible. If it had been a well cared for example in great nick, then as a home project be worth fixing the rust.
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member


Joined: November 30, 2003
Posts: 2013
Location: Seekonk,Massachusetts USA
APPLEGREENVW is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
What model classic Mercedes was that? W123?


Sadly, yes, was a 1979 TD. The previous owner(s) did her in. The one I bought it from, he was an alcoholic and when the breathalyzer was installed they really made a mess of the wiring. His "mechanic" where the vehicle was stored, shouldn't have been anywhere near even a lawnmower. The worst was they ran the engine without an air filter then wondered why soon the engine had low compression. Rolling Eyes Plus, ran it on unfiltered used vegetable oil out of a plastic can sitting in the back with a fuel line run along the rocker and through the firewall, of course with no grommet. When I started looking hard there was a lot of rust, most wasn't visible. If it had been a well cared for example in great nick, then as a home project be worth fixing the rust.


Where was the rust,that wasn't visible?
_________________
Parts for sale https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=APPLEGREENVW

02/76 Beetle sedan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
What model classic Mercedes was that? W123?


Sadly, yes, was a 1979 TD. The previous owner(s) did her in. The one I bought it from, he was an alcoholic and when the breathalyzer was installed they really made a mess of the wiring. His "mechanic" where the vehicle was stored, shouldn't have been anywhere near even a lawnmower. The worst was they ran the engine without an air filter then wondered why soon the engine had low compression. Rolling Eyes Plus, ran it on unfiltered used vegetable oil out of a plastic can sitting in the back with a fuel line run along the rocker and through the firewall, of course with no grommet. When I started looking hard there was a lot of rust, most wasn't visible. If it had been a well cared for example in great nick, then as a home project be worth fixing the rust.


Where was the rust,that wasn't visible?


The bottom of the scuttle, the inside of the rockers especially under the B pillars, where the floor turns up to form the seat, and under the window rubbers, especially the D windows which also had it under the horizontal trim.

Then add about $5,000 to $7,500 for a replacement engine, far exceeds market value. Insurance companies will only give about $3,000 for a W123 wagen. For example, to replace the 300TD-T shortened about half a meter by an older lady not paying attention, I acquired a W123 280TE, basic trim (including manual climate control), with ABS, interior cargo tie down loops, electric front windows, roller shade and net, and heated leather seats, for $1,000 plus $2,000 in Mercedes parts (as I didn't know Dad pass away so soon). There really is no market and little value to W123s, I been trying for years to sell parts and no interest.

Even the Mid Century Modern market went cold, I had some very nice pieces of original large oils and at auction about three five years ago, went for about $25 each. Back when it was hot, the Mid Century Modern ceramic figure by a particular artist were regularly selling for $300, now not one bite at any price.

See, Brother said if I got rid of the 300TD-T and the 300TD, he pay for grass and gravel in the back. Then I send back stuff he left here to Texas and now he told me I must suffer everyday to be reminded what a bad thing I did, so not going to help with the house despite no kitchen, no functioning bathroom sink or shower (the valve leaks so several inches of water under the tub, was mold in the wall, and the studs are rotting), there are two roof leaks, and the back door header improperly installed by a previous owner is sagging and binding the door. Then add to it, turns out for eight months ran the Special Needs Trust deep into the red. I been living on stimulus money, the dogs cost $237 a month, so end of September there will be no more money. First most of Society wants those with conditions to suffer (why I am not allowed to work or volunteer) and now my Brother. And yes he strait up told me he was being vindictive and why I deserved it. Suffice to say, I have no energy to be the only one to maintain a supposed relationship (he never reciprocated and that's exhausting).

By the way, I am so appreciative of this Community which is unlike Society, most accept everyone and are very generous. They make it possible to restore Ruby, which brought me out of a severe depression. Look how a huge burden was lifted being able to get the last of the parts off the body, few more and can toss the body into the trailer so one day can go to the recycler. Now here you are having a chat and this is a help too.
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2018
Posts: 4210
Location: Dirty South, Ga
Chickensoup is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Shocked dang the title of the thread scared me when I first glanced at it lol. Anyways, I'm flattered. I just try to pass it on whenever I can.
_________________
#your_feelings_dont_really_matter
.................................................................................................
'65 Tourist Delivery Beetle
Click to view image
'05 passat TDI wagon, egr delete, tuned, second balance shaft
Click to view image
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Shocked dang the title of the thread scared me when I first glanced at it lol. Anyways, I'm flattered. I just try to pass it on whenever I can.


How did the title scare you?

Your welcome.
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2018
Posts: 4210
Location: Dirty South, Ga
Chickensoup is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Thought I was in trouble. I only saw my name first
_________________
#your_feelings_dont_really_matter
.................................................................................................
'65 Tourist Delivery Beetle
Click to view image
'05 passat TDI wagon, egr delete, tuned, second balance shaft
Click to view image
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member


Joined: April 08, 2009
Posts: 23322
Location: SHALIMAR ,FLORIDA
mark tucker is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

so..were yellen at chicken soup? or...yellen fer chicken soup?? noodles or not?? Ive turned down many sockets over the years for different things. thus the reason when I see something thats cheep even tough i may have one I do some quick thinking is there a possibility I need that size to weld to somethen or turn down or...whatever. Im tired of buying junk high priced tools like mac tools. I have more wore out mac tools sockets than any others. as of yet only the super cheep china stuff compares to mac tools sockets. Ive split may crapsnmans sockets. but they dont wear out like the mac tools.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Thought I was in trouble. I only saw my name first


Appreciate letting me know it was not something I need to improve on.

By the way, if there was anything negative, I would contact you privately.
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so..were yellen at chicken soup? or...yellen fer chicken soup?? noodles or not?? Ive turned down many sockets over the years for different things. thus the reason when I see something thats cheep even tough i may have one I do some quick thinking is there a possibility I need that size to weld to somethen or turn down or...whatever. Im tired of buying junk high priced tools like mac tools. I have more wore out mac tools sockets than any others. as of yet only the super cheep china stuff compares to mac tools sockets. Ive split may crapsnmans sockets. but they dont wear out like the mac tools.


Mark, somehow missed your reply.

Yes, there was some humor involved with the title. I learned "shout out" from my Sister who was in theater.

My first set of sockets, which I bought when about 14, are Craftsman, 1/2 inch drive, and have not had any issues, except the ratchet stripped. I stopped in on the way, said be right back, waited 15 20 despite told them had somewhere to be at a certain time, told me could not leave until repaired, then I came up with the idea to ask for the repair kit. She was shocked someone could do the repair themselves. Well, if you do mechanic work, wouldn't it be obvious they could? Packed it full unlike when made and now smoother. Got me a used 12 inch Wright Tools breaker bar once Sears folded, no sense breaking something which now has no warranty.

My good 3/8 inch drive set is SK Tools, no complaints. After fantastic customer service with Wright Tools for a warranty replacement (tore a 10mm hex socket and no proof asked) I now only buy Wright Tools. Plus, the last family owned tool company manufacturing in the USA.

My benchtop toolbox is Mac Tools, bought used. Certainly better than the used vintage Craftsman, the latter slides are rubbish, lost one drawer and no way to put it back. Any experience with Mac Tools tool chests?
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 46675
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Ha ha ha, you desert guys crack me up with your perception of rust, I'd give my left nut for a car older than 5 years around here having any subframe fastener come off that shiny and clean. Razz
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2018
Posts: 4210
Location: Dirty South, Ga
Chickensoup is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ha ha ha, you desert guys crack me up with your perception of rust, I'd give my left nut for a car older than 5 years around here having any subframe fastener come off that shiny and clean. Razz


Yes I know how bad your cars are. One of them made it's way into my hands Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744699&highlight=

You can do you but ain't no one taking none of my nuts Wink
_________________
#your_feelings_dont_really_matter
.................................................................................................
'65 Tourist Delivery Beetle
Click to view image
'05 passat TDI wagon, egr delete, tuned, second balance shaft
Click to view image
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2018
Posts: 4210
Location: Dirty South, Ga
Chickensoup is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Thought I was in trouble. I only saw my name first


Appreciate letting me know it was not something I need to improve on.

By the way, if there was anything negative, I would contact you privately.


Nah you all good. It's just every day you see your name as a thread title Wink I appreciate it.
_________________
#your_feelings_dont_really_matter
.................................................................................................
'65 Tourist Delivery Beetle
Click to view image
'05 passat TDI wagon, egr delete, tuned, second balance shaft
Click to view image
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: January 08, 2014
Posts: 5291

Xevin is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Shocked dang the title of the thread scared me when I first glanced at it lol. Anyways, I'm flattered. I just try to pass it on whenever I can.


How did the title scare you?

Your welcome.


Probably thought it was the step mom stalking him Wink Laughing
_________________
Keep on Busin'
67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
I dont hate anyone on the Samba - except for Xevin - who brought me cold coffee in the morning.

[email protected] wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2018
Posts: 4210
Location: Dirty South, Ga
Chickensoup is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Shocked dang the title of the thread scared me when I first glanced at it lol. Anyways, I'm flattered. I just try to pass it on whenever I can.


How did the title scare you?

Your welcome.


Probably thought it was the step mom stalking him Wink Laughing


actually, i did think that after the fact Smile
_________________
#your_feelings_dont_really_matter
.................................................................................................
'65 Tourist Delivery Beetle
Click to view image
'05 passat TDI wagon, egr delete, tuned, second balance shaft
Click to view image
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ha ha ha, you desert guys crack me up with your perception of rust, I'd give my left nut for a car older than 5 years around here having any subframe fastener come off that shiny and clean. Razz


Actually, the 1979 spent most of her life in the Midwest. All the other bolts were rusty, oft requiring SiliKroil and sometimes heat too. Is it possible to see there is rust on the bolt, seized it to the mount which is why rubber stuck there? The other end is rusty, so I was expecting at least a loud snap if not no movement. I was surprised at how easy it came out, once the rubber was torn no breaker bar needed, shocked once a clean bolt came out.

The most rusty part are the hydraulic lines, especially where thread into a fitting, like the leveling valve.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I have flare spanners, yet absolute chore to get out, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I have yet to work on a clean, rust free vehicle, not one. Every one has had rust through somewhere in the body.
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2006
Posts: 3873
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Adriel Rowley is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Ha ha ha, you desert guys crack me up with your perception of rust, I'd give my left nut for a car older than 5 years around here having any subframe fastener come off that shiny and clean. Razz


Yes I know how bad your cars are. One of them made it's way into my hands Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744699&highlight=


Yikes! Shocked That whack to the rear looks like a really hard hit.


Chickensoup wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Thought I was in trouble. I only saw my name first


Appreciate letting me know it was not something I need to improve on.

By the way, if there was anything negative, I would contact you privately.


Nah you all good. It's just every day you see your name as a thread title Wink I appreciate it.


I got that, just letting you know I appreciate the social help, the only way to improve. Wink Very Happy

I am made glad knowing you appreciate the the shout out.
_________________
Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 17142
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Shout out to Chickensoup! Reply with quote

It scared me, and Iím vegetable soup.
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB