Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Sunroof Parts
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

that is good someone is finally making them. The fellow in MI is also selling the center part made from aviation plastic. EIS makes many of the parts but they do not show the center piece on their website. Maybe ISP had them made. A lot of people out there need them.
Redwall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

I'm looking for the left and right rear guides and one adjustment screw. Somebody stole them off my 71 bus years ago. I'm talking about the metal brackets that attach to the sunroof and slide through the track. Does anyone know where I can find them? Coming up with nothing on the web. Thanks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

there is the cable that has the lifting blocks on it that slides thru the tracks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

I think they are talking about 27 or 28, the arm/bracket that carries the roof when it's sliding in the track.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
To each their own, I look at a functional sunroof as a badge of honor, or perseverance, or maybe just not being smart enough to leave things alone. It gives me something to fiddle with when all the other issues on the bus are fixed too. They do work well when set up and maintained properly, but don't go rolling it back and forth 100 times to show off at a Saturday meet, consider it a limited cycle part and use it sparingly.

I agree, Mark! I suppose I was lucky when I owned my 1979 sunroof Bus 20 years ago. It worked flawlessly. One disadvantage I noticed when I used to own a 1966 21 window was that I'd have to get out of the driver's seat to operate the sunroof, but with the '79, it was convenient to operate it from the driver's seat.

About my Sun Bug, when I got it, the sunroof worked ok, but after the upholstery shop restored the interior, the sunroof was stuck in the closed position and it took TWO YEARS to find someone to fix it. It was really bringing me down, but as you said, it was a badge of honor to have a perfectly functioning sunroof and I was determined to have it repaired. I watched my upholstery buddy do most of the work on the sunroof, so I could learn. Now that it works as new, it was all worth it.

If there's anything I've learned about owning ACVWs over the past 30+ years, it is to not let NLA parts discourage me. It seems sooner or later, someone will reproduce parts. Especially now that Bay Windows are getting the recognition they've always deserved, I expect more parts will become available for them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1969b...Manual.pdf

https://www.jbugs.com/product/241877300.html?utm_c...I4EALw_wcB

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/c-1183256-vw-late-bus-1970-vw-bus-exterior-sunroof-seals-parts.html
Redwall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Busdaddy is right, I'm talking about #27,#28 (rear) in that diagram. They ride along the track. I can't find the left or right ones anywhere. I was considering forging them myself, but I don't have a sample. Oh where oh where can one be found? Any clues out there?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Redwall wrote:
Busdaddy is right, I'm talking about #27,#28 (rear) in that diagram. They ride along the track. I can't find the left or right ones anywhere. I was considering forging them myself, but I don't have a sample. Oh where oh where can one be found? Any clues out there?
Ask Ken Madson at TheBusco or Avery's air cooled. You don't want to try to make one, The also have nylon feet on them.
Redwall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Ken Madson at TheBusco sent me this helpful diagram. Thank you. I'm looking for two of #18 and one of #11. Does anybody know where I can find these parts?
[/img]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

I take it neither Ken nor Avery's had the part?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

Some of those parts are shared with Beetle and type 3, I can't suggest where to start looking, but don't go thinking everything is "bus only".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

If Ken at TheBusco, or Avery's Air Cooled does not have those parts, try Joe at Busted Bus or Chris Morrice in Oakland. He is always parting buses out. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19586

Reproductions can be found because BusOk makes them. Part number 241-877-541. You need 2. https://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-bay-rear-sliding-roof-bracket-867-7-79-OEM-partnr-241877541 Bus-Ok also makes the front ones.
Bugster78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Sunroof Parts Reply with quote

I am rebuilding a sunroof to as functioning as I can get. The PO had stripped all of the cables and the guides. I sourced a new gear, the plastic covers and the cable guid the gear inserts in, but could not find the front cable guides that route the cables from the gear cog around the front corners to the rails….so I made my own out of 1/4 inch brake line, bent around a 4 inch diameter bending form. The replacement cables do fit inside. Not functional yet, but figured I’d share in case others had alternative solutions.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: