Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DRLA 45 backfiring out of carb and exhaust (SOLVED)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build backfiring out both carbs and exhaust. HELP! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
bent throttel shafts? needs to adjust the air bypass screws and close the throttell plates, check the carb plugs & gaskets &body for leeks.(air /vacuum leaks) check jet stack for crack,burr,defect.or get another carb. choke plate&thingys in there? idle jet holder? pluged orifices...boosters not sealing,( I add gaskets to mine much better running& responce)

I was able to get a good even reading across all 4 on the snail gauge vaccum carb sync tool. I did some twisting of the shafts, etc. I had to back out one bypass screw out a little to get number #3 up, but thats on the good carb. #1 is still dead at idle...

I'm going to keep looking at it today and then send it to Mcdragracer the carb guy. I figure he can either fix what I can't or worse case tell me the carb body is no good for some reason. I did check all the exterior lead plugs for leaks. Checked body for cracks or any weird stuff like that. I've sprayed carb cleaner all over the actual carb body/ progression plugs while running

The jet stack appears good but I can take a second look very closely.

Atleast I've figured out what is wrong. Compression/leakdown is good, valves have never tightened up at all on me and move freely when cranking. Problem moves with carbs when I switch side to side. The other 3 carb throats/mixture screws act perfectly normal. #1 idle circuit is the problem. I'm not getting fuel (or barely any) at idle to the point where it's not even firing at all until I bring it to about 1500, that's when the backfiring starts and get worse till around 3000 rpms.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build backfiring out both carbs and exhaust. HELP! Reply with quote

Evan, when you say you pulled the jet stack. Did you mean the idle jet stack?
I get that this stack removal helped the engine idle better. So no need to rehash that.

If it was just the idle jet stack. Have you tried swapping the stack from #2 to #1 to see if this cleans up the idle issue?

another question. Have you completed the cam/lifter break in? It's generally recommended to get this step complete no matter how shitty the engine is running. Then get after the tune.

I'm gonna stuff my 2180 in my car this weekend, I imagine that come Monday/Tuesday, I'll be as soar as all hell! Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build backfiring out both carbs and exhaust. HELP! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Evan, when you say you pulled the jet stack. Did you mean the idle jet stack?
I get that this stack removal helped the engine idle better. So no need to rehash that.

If it was just the idle jet stack. Have you tried swapping the stack from #2 to #1 to see if this cleans up the idle issue?

another question. Have you completed the cam/lifter break in? It's generally recommended to get this step complete no matter how shitty the engine is running. Then get after the tune.

I'm gonna stuff my 2180 in my car this weekend, I imagine that come Monday/Tuesday, I'll be as soar as all hell! Shocked

Yes I'm almost positive I switched the jet stacks around at some point and that didn't change it but I can try that again as a last ditch effort.

I just verified the idle circuit is working as it should i was able to stick a wire everywhere even all the way through the tiny passage that runs from the middle of the main jet well to idle jet well. I pretty familiar with the idle circuit at this point.

And yes I did follow through with the break-in right from start even though it didn't sound great.

Hopefully I can get this engine in my car soon too!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build backfiring out both carbs and exhaust. HELP! Reply with quote

I found out I'm pretty close to Mcdragracer actually so I'm going to drive over there later today and hand them off to him. I would like to know for sure the carb is bad or find whatever is wrong before I buy a replacement.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build backfiring out both carbs and exhaust. HELP! Reply with quote

You can’t go wrong with mcdragracer

You open the dictionary to Good Customer Service and Open Communication and his picture shows up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build backfiring out both carbs and exhaust. HELP! Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

You open the dictionary to Good Customer Service and Open Communication and his picture shows up.

Very true. He's been extremely helpful over the phone and helped me figure out my jetting and what parts I needed to do the rebuild myself. I highly reccomend contacting him if you need any service or parts for your Dellorto, Weber, or even some other two barrel carbs.

Unfortunately even with his help I cannot intensify anything wrong. On the bench all the circuits seem to be working perfectly but it just won't run right.

He might need just to have them in his hands...

And I also need to know I'm not going crazy

Perhaps my swap meet find wasn't such a good deal after all...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build backfiring out both carbs and exhaust. HELP! Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
txoval wrote:

Very true. He's been extremely helpful over the phone and helped me figure out my jetting and what parts I needed to do the rebuild myself. I highly reccomend contacting him if you need any service or parts for your Dellorto, Weber, or even some other two barrel carbs.

Unfortunately even with his help I cannot intensify anything wrong. On the bench all the circuits seem to be working perfectly but it just won't run right.

He might need just to have them in his hands...

And I also need to know I'm not going crazy

Perhaps my swap meet find wasn't such a good deal after all...

Well, Dell doesn't make new 45's anymore to my knowledge. So it's always a crap shoot when you buy a used set.
The guy I bought mine from doesn't have a good rep here. But, they worked, after cleaning them up and jetting correctly.

I think you lost your mind awhile back. Lol!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

Not many others will text you at each step including the weekends.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

My lord. And people try to tell me EFI is complex Shocked Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
txoval wrote:

My lord. And people try to tell me EFI is complex Shocked Laughing

Have you ever taken a fuel injector apart! Not too terribly complex but TINY!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Have you ever taken a fuel injector apart! not too terribly complex but TINY!

No not yet. I will be when i rebuild the injectors on my TDI but hear all the LS guys talk about it.

Most people buy injectors already working or new as you already know Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

Rick does good work so hopefully he finds the problem. A second set of eyes is sometimes a good thing.

I am pretty sure it is not an ignition problem since you swaped carbs side to side but what kind of distributor clamp are you using. The aluminum colored aftermarket ones can sometimes create a grounding issue.

In the future do not use 150 psi or air to blow threw the carb. That can create issues with all of the lead plugs. As you know the idle jet circuit is pretty simple in those carbs. From the top there are fixed idle air inlets (are they all the same and is the hole clear from the top into the idle jet holder thread area). Then there are the idle jets and holders (are the jets the same as well as the holders (check the holes) and the rubber o-rings). From the top view down it goes into the bowl but towards the top near the threaded area there is a hole where the gas goes down to the progression ports to the mixture screws. You can put a car cleaner tube in there and spray some fluid down there. You can remove the progression port plug (big phillips screw head on the side of the carb above the mixture screw) and see if the carb cleaner comes through. Then there is the mixture screws (check the o rings on these and the seating area. Finally there is the air bypass (how are the o rings on these and is it not leaking air.

When I clean a Dellorto carb idle jet circuit I will remove the jet from the holder and use carb cleaner and air to blow it out. I will also remove the progression port plug and put the carb cleaner straw in the downward port and spray and make sure carb cleaner is going through that. Then I will replace the progression port plug and remove the mixture screw and again spray carb cleaner down the circuit passage and make sure it flows down. I will also spray through the mixture screw passage into the carb barrel. Finally I will spray air upwards from the mixture screw through the open idle jet holder area. Then replace the mixture screw and idle jet holder.

Again, I am sure Rick will hook you up.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

This thread is becoming a how to diagnose Dell issues thread.
And it has some great content.

After reading the last two pages. I feel like I have a better understanding of the inner workings of Dell DRLA carbs. I've had mine for 3-4 years.

Thanks to Modok and Evan. Props to Ohio Tom and 74 thing too.

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

Cool
Well, Rick has my carbs now. He couldn't find anything on the bench majorly wrong with them and is going to test run them on an engine he has by mid next week.

So I guess we will see what's up

He was able to tell me I've been setting my float level like a dipshit Laughing
And he found one idle fuel delivery hole to be a hair smaller or with a tiny burr or something but it was insignificant enough neither of us are convinced that was the issue
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

well until you get your carbs back just slap a stock intake and carb on there. maybe it will make you appreciate the power increase once you install the dells afterwards Shocked Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

Here are the guys at Blackline (formerly Art Thraen's shop) showing how to set floats on IDF's-the process is similar to Dells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uPwTZ3DJw

Also since your carbs and manifolds are off look down the ports to see if your valve guides have walked any. Brian E suggested earlier to pay attention to the seats as well so may as well check the intake guides visually for movement and a possible intake leak.

Last edited by 74 Thing on Fri May 21, 2021 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Here are the guys at Blackline (formerly Art Thraen's shop) showing how to set floats on IDF's-the process is similar to Dells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uPwTZ3DJw

Also since your carbs and manifolds are off look down the ports to see if your valve guides have walked any. Brian E suggested earlier to pay attention to the seats as well so may as well check the intake guides for movement and a possible intake leak.

I did go buy a leakdown tester to test valves and they check out. Also it did swap sides with carb. But I will take another look down the manifold
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

I talked to Rick today. He fixed my float height and reamed/cleaned up/evened out in size the idle circuit fuel delivery holes (the ones that the mixture screw go into) on one carb so far. He then ran them on his test engine. He said he immediately new it sounded lean and was popping like I said and that it was the worst on number one. He said it sounded like it wanted bigger idle jets. Like way bigger! I had 63's in their which he sold and initally recomended to me but after running it on his test engine he said it sounds good with three 76 idles and one sized 80 in the cylinder number one.

He also said that it seems like the throttle bearing on the #1 cylinder seems to be acting like it has a slight vaccum leak even tho that is apparently very rare. But he also said that he wouldn't worry about. It still kinda bugs me tho...

He sent me a video and they sound good on his test engine. I'm still kinda frustrated with this particular set of carbs tho. Why do they want huge idle jets? Won't my gas mileage be shit?

Anyway, in the mext couple days he is going to check the idle fuel delivery hole size on the other carb and try a few other things and fine adjustments so we will see how it goes.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

Your killing me with all the suspense. Confused
There must be a reason
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA 45 backfiring out carb and exhaust. Only 1 throat acts lean Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Your killing me with all the suspense. Confused
There must be a reason

Not really. That's it I guess. They just want bigger idle jets then most normally do for some reason. Somehow one of my new throttle bearings might be slightly leaking but I know the shaft and hole in carb body were both a tight fit so maybe I messed up the seal in the bearing somehow when I installed it? Somehow I don't even think that's really part of the problem?

I don't know what to think anymore... fuck these carbs I want a different pair lol

I'm glad someone else has been caught in the suspense as well lol

We'll see how my final jetting ends up. Still not sure why three of the cylinders were dying and one was speeding up (w/ shot of cleaner) if all of them were running lean? Wouldn't they all speed up? I guess not
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: