Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early ‘56 front seat backrest issue?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Early ‘56 front seat backrest issue? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I’ve been building a November ‘55 for 4 years. The bug came with the correct front seats according to my past research. Are the driver and passenger backrest universal or left/right specific? I’m only 5’10, bottom seat is slid as far back as it will go on track, backrest adjusted to farthest setting. Feels like I can barely fit in this thing! Still need another 1-2” to extend my legs comfortably. While trying to drive it, the stock steering wheel rubs my legs constantly, almost impossible to clutch and brake like this. Is this normal for early cars? None of my ‘58-67 bugs were ever this bad.

I have Sewfine seat covers with Wolfsburg west pads underneath...it was a very tight fit and they are almost over padded to me. The seat bottoms may have been altered at some point...hard to say. This is my first oval and I’m not sure what’s considered “normal” as far as how far back the front seat bottoms typically go on a ‘56.
Thank you all for any guidance!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Early ‘56 front seat backrest issue? Reply with quote

Take a picture of the track and location. May have been moved.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early ‘56 front seat backrest issue? Reply with quote

Hey smitty24!

I took numerous measurements when I removed the original seat rails from the original pans a few years ago! If you look on here;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=600

About half way down the page, I go through reinstalling them.

I am sure I took pictures of removal earlier on, so refer back to that time in the thread as well, for the information you are seeking.

Hope it helps you out!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Early ‘56 front seat backrest issue? Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the link Jim, just checked out your photos and measurements. Do you know if the driver and passenger backrests are side specific? This is an early ‘56. **Great thread by the way! I’ve scrolled through bits of it the past few days and enjoyed it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: