Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

diagnosing alternator or wiring
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanJustRyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

1976 Bay window bus - moved 2.0 type 4 (79 engine) / trans /external regulator over from donor car. No idea if alternator was working in previous vehicle unfortunately.

Found the rat well advice - I'm new to using my multimeter but I think the idea is I stick the red in the prong and black to ground and report the readings.

Ignition off
Lamp off
D+ 0
Df 0
D- 0

Ignition on
Lamp on
D+ 4.3
Df 0
D- 0

Running
Lamp on
D+ 4.5
Df 0
D- 0

Fast idle doesn’t change anything

I see some harness hacks ... wondering if this is a wiring problem or an alternator problem ... should that black wire be merged there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RyanJustRyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

and I got a text back from previous owner he said the alternator and regulator worked fine before.

So I'm assuming something wiring related at this point.

If anyone has guidance I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

TEST
----
- make up a short (6") jumper wire with a male blade terminal on either end.
- unplug regulator.
- plug jumper wire into regulator plug between D+ (red, blue wire) and Df (green wire).
- connect a voltmeter across battery.
- start engine. DO NOT REV!!!
- slowly increase speed while watching voltmeter. Do not let it exceed 14.4 volts.
- if voltage increases with engine speed, then the alternator and harness are good, regulator questionable. If not, remove alternator and check harness wires for continuity and shorts. If nothing found, suspect failed alternator.

What we are doing here is taking the regulator out of the charging circuit and running the alternator WIDE OPEN (unregulated). In this mode, voltage is only controlled by engine speed and, if allowed, can increase to damaging levels, so be careful!!!
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RyanJustRyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

Thank you telford dorr. Unregulated - getting 15.3 at idle. I didn't rev it up due to concerns that it seems high already.

I'm concerned that since you said don't let it exceed 14.4 - is the alternator generating too much voltage? Or does this suggest failed regulator?

thank you.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

Some regulators need the case grounded to work rather than using the wiring from the alternator to provide a ground.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

Failed regulator (or ground, above).
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
RyanJustRyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Some regulators need the case grounded to work rather than using the wiring from the alternator to provide a ground.

Logical - in all my tests the regulator was screwed to the firewall so that would be grounded I think if I'm following what you're saying.
RyanJustRyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: diagnosing alternator or wiring Reply with quote

thanks for the assist, the new regulator resolved the charging issue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: