Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

chain works great. I could not see it in the photos and that is why I asked. Smile
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

SG Kent, I supported the trans via a jack and jack stands prior to pulling the motor, you just can't see it in the picture. It is stable and has not moved from that position, I heard about the need to do so prior to removing the motor. Very Happy

Take Care!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

To answer the seal trimming question, I have yet to perfect a method, the way it is there should work fine once the tins are pressed up against it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Vwmerckx & Bus Daddy thanks for the input and especially the picture. Looks like I'm good to go without trimming the rear seal.
Take Care!

Now for the fun part completing the rebuild and firing it up Very Happy
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The motor is back together, everything back in place and looking good.

Purist will be happy I sourced the correct tail pipe to complete the package. Very Happy

Exhaust system needed a little convincing on the left side to align the "clam shells" to heater box but nothing too much out of the ordinary. No matter what they are never perfect, if you think about it, it is a pretty complicated part to have align properly within that space to both the heater box and out the sheet metal above.

Anyone know where you can purchase the damper pipe exhaust clamp/ gasket set only, found it on the samba at an exotic price or as part of a kit which I don't need from one supplier. I cut down the donut and metal ring of a typical exhaust gasket to fit along with liberally using the Permatex Copper Exhaust gasket material Bus Daddy recommended, it looks like I made a good seal but will need to run it for a while to see how it holds up. Wink

Came across the High-Performance timing disc some years back, always use it for setting valves and timing on an engine build. Can't tell you the number of stock pulleys I have run across that are marked incorrectly, just as this one was, once everything is set it comes off.

Now only two things remain, new heater hoses and a major thing having my son come over and help me take it off the stand. Very Happy Then it's on to test run and reinstall.

Take Care!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Looks great! Cool

Are you sure you want to put that fuel filter there?, it's so much better in the line between the tank and firewall hard line over the transmission, even better if it's an all metal one. Where it is it'll pull on the carb inlet fitting till it falls out, or split, either scenario ends really badly. Remember they are all made in China now, what you got away with long ago doesn't always apply today.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

looks great. I must have missed why the mirrors were changed. I am also still puzzled why a bus with only 32,000 miles on it needs so much restoration but the work being done is impeccable. It should end up in a museum when it is done.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Bus Daddy, I'm not a fan of the fuel filter being inside the engine compartment either. Does have some risks and looks out of place imop.

Like it there for test run and tune time, you can see the fuel is flowing and know the fuel pump is in good working order or has failed.

On a number of stock engines, I've built/run I didn't use clamps on the fuel lines and never had a leak or issue either, but it seems everyone does it now, so I started doing it too so as not to be considered crazy. Very Happy

The fuel filter goes behind the firewall when I install the motor now that I have a working fuel gauge as well!! Very Happy

Thanks for all the input, take care!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

stay away from screw on hose clamps if you can unless they are the multiple piece ones that have the inner protector with beveled edges.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

That tail pipe was the first thing I looked at, Wink second was the fuel filter. I also like using a degree wheel over a stock one. Looks like you have a good handle on everything. Looks great!
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"

Last edited by 71whitewesty on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:
The fuel filter goes behind the firewall when I install the motor now that I have a working fuel gauge as well!! :D

I don't know why folks with stock VW engines feel the need for an additional filter. There's one at the tank outlet, and one in the fuel pump,
that was plenty according to VW. Nothing that can get past the 2 stock filters is going to compromise the stock pump or carb.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

It was an add on sale at the parts counter, and it became a legend.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

The fuel injection hose clamps available at O’Reilly’s are made without the worm gear serrations and have a little bit tiny curved-outward shoulder. They are good quality and hold their tension when used with Gates Barricade fuel line.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Test and tune went off without a hitch this morning.

Have to admit there is a funny anxiety / joy / confidence thing that goes on no matter how many times you do this.
Did you cover all your bases? Is everything in working order, the anticipation of waiting for it to fire up...., then the joy / confidence kicks in.

I think I got hooked on this for a while Laughing .

Each time I do this I get to use my oldest VW tool, my static timing light in the picture, I made this tool 46 years ago to keep my 66 bug tuned up and running right Very Happy still comes in handy before you get the timing light on the running motor, a reminder of good times.

My second favorite tool is the torque buddy just wish someone would make and adapter that works on the Bus axle nuts Smile.

Drained the "break in oil" will recheck the valves, install the clutch and pressure plate.

If all goes as planned there should be a Sunday morning drive coming up Very Happy Very Happy !

Take Care
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I use an assemble lube too. That said, do not put anything but GL4 SAE 80-90 in the transmission.

There is a different tool for the axle nuts. Just make sure you get the correct size. The breaker bar loads the nut and sledge on the tool is the rap that sets it free.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Just remember to reset your bearing preload after you bash in your bearings
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

That's the beauty of the "Torque Buddy" it exerts / reduces roughly by 10x the pressure to achieve the desired results, no need for breaker bars, sledgehammers, or air tools.

Surprised that it is not produced for the 46MM Bus axle nut. If I'm not mistaken it would cover from Buses from 1964 on and through the Vanagon years to 1991.

Seems like there is a $ opportunity. Very Happy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

well, I broke a 1" well made breaker bar taking one side off my 1977. I had a 3' extension on it and was bouncing on it while hanging on the gutter rail. I weighed 290 at the time so about 4.5' x 290 is 1305 lbs and I was bouncing so maybe 1800 lbs which snapped the HD Craftsman American made forged breaker bar ... I ended up dremeling the nut off. It was not rusted on either, just some gorilla put it on.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
well, I broke a 1" well made breaker bar taking one side off my 1977. I had a 3' extension on it and was bouncing on it while hanging on the gutter rail. I weighed 290 at the time so about 4.5' x 290 is 1305 lbs and I was bouncing so maybe 1800 lbs which snapped the HD Craftsman American made forged breaker bar ... I ended up dremeling the nut off. It was not rusted on either, just some gorilla put it on.
. Shocked Shocked Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Refresh nearing completion, motor looking sweet and clean installed and running nice.

The Gas Gauge is working halleluiah and real accurate showing half a tank of gas / 8 gallons, which in 1971 would have been 36 cents per gallon / $2.88 and Nixon was the President. 2022 it is now $6.44 per gallon / $51.52. Shocked Shocked

On to tiding up little areas on the paint, nicks, chips, ..., will be taking the Bus to Hot August Nights here in Reno, if any of you are planning to be in town for that event let me know, first beers on me!! Very Happy

Take Care!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: