Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ID Number SPLIT BUS
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klamann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey Guys,

i need your help for my VW BUS 1961. Tricky story.

My split bus was built on January 11th 1961 and was sent as CKD to Panama.

It is having his original matching number besides the Motor engine. So far so good.

Additionally on that it is having on the rear axel a special engraving which i can not fully decode. Really weired.

I was looking really all over but i did not find out nothing

Can you help me. Attached a small presentation

Regards Johannes
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

I have never heard of Panama having CKD cars. Where did you get this information?

I have never seen numbers stamped in that location on a bus. This is very interesting.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klamann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

Hey Lind..

i got it from my VW- certificate.

From the VW Company in Wolfsburg. I bought this car down in Mexico Smile

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

Like Lind, I have never heard of CKD for Panama delivered buses. I have done a lot of research into them as I also own one.

I went to the Mcode section on this site and 442 was also seen on a '59 panel from Panama. You learn something new everyday.

Edit: correction; 11/59 (60 model)

Last edited by von_hansel on Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

I don't have any help but what model is it?
I would like to add it as another "Seen on" to the M-code page under 442
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klamann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

Hello EverettB
Hello von_Hansel
Haello Linda,

really apreciate your feedback and your help.

It is a Combi Panel.
i attache

- certificate
- atcual picture

she (the lady) is almost ready to get painted but as the certificate is not telling me nothing i am wondering what this numbers are for.

Apreciate in advance your help and feedback

Regards

J. Klamann

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

Interesting that both Panama delivered buses with M-code 442 are panels.

Take a look at this May '61 Panama delivered Standard. No CKD m-code but it does have a Turkis dash Very Happy

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

Is there an M-code plate, or screw holes where one once was? If so, could we see a picture of it.

I crawled under my fully German produced May, 1961 bus and cleaned that area of the torsion bar tube to see if there were any numbers stamped, and there were none. Of course if this was a normal thing for any period of time, we would have seen or heard of it. I am really surprised to see these numbers. A CKD bus would have the body fully built in Germany, and there would be some level of nuts and bolts assembly done in the country of destination. This was done with split buses in at least Australia, New Zealand, and Rhodesia. There were CKD beetles in all of those countries, as well as Ireland, South Africa, Belgium, Costa Rica, Indonesia,Yugoslavia, Mexico, Malaysia, Nigeria, The Philippines, Portugal, Singapore, Thailand, Uruguay, Venezuela, Peru, and even Germany. My sources that I have checked so far don't list any CKD production in Panama. I will continue to search through some other books to see if there is any mention of it.

VW reused M-codes, so it is possible that the M-code referred to CKD for some other model at some other time. The 400 series M-codes usually refer to USA specs, but not at that time. There are other 400 series M-codes which do refer to CKD production.

Does anyone out there have or know of a CKD split bus? It would be nice to see if these numbers are on another bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klamann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

Hello, no unfortunatly there is no M -code plate. That would be an easy one
Any possible idea what this number could be. Maybee a local customs entry number..

Thank for the hint of the color

Have an good weekend

Johannes
Klamann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ID Number SPLIT BUS Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Interesting that both Panama delivered buses with M-code 442 are panels.

Take a look at this May '61 Panama delivered Standard. No CKD m-code but it does have a Turkis dash Very Happy

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: