Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type e motorsports disc brake review
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

My pedal moves about an inch before the fronts start to grab. You can check this if the front is off the ground, spin a wheel by hand and press down on the pedal. You most likely still have air, a loose mc pushrod, or rear brakes out of adjustment. Are you sure the hard lines are plumbed correctly?
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Pull the e-brake and hit the pedal again. Is it higher? If so your rear brakes need to be adjusted.
If you pump the pedal does the point of engagement raise higher? Then you still have air.

My pedal is slightly lower than it was with freshly adjusted drums. I’ve gotten used to it and I can confirm that in a legit panic stop(happened a few weeks ago), I know it’s far superior to stock.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Anyone running “Big Meat” tires on stock rims with this kit?
I am about to pull the trigger on this kit for my bus,
I have 215/75/15 BFG tires on stock rims, stock height.
I am wondering with the 3/8 increase each side, will my tires rub?
I get no rubbing anywhere currently at full lock each way.
Any one running this combo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
Anyone running “Big Meat” tires on stock rims with this kit?
I am about to pull the trigger on this kit for my bus,
I have 215/75/15 BFG tires on stock rims, stock height.
I am wondering with the 3/8 increase each side, will my tires rub?
I get no rubbing anywhere currently at full lock each way.
Any one running this combo?

I used to have literally that exact setup. I had BFG all terrain 215/75r15 with stock bus 15" wheels. Zero rubbing whatsoever and I drove it offroad with aggression often.

If I wanted to, I could lock up the front tires easily.

and when I say used to, I mean because I lowered the bus mildly and am still using the disc brakes.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Just as a note, I am all in for an early beam version. Would like to keep my link pin early spindles.
Vanell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

I have fitted up 4 sets of Brian’s brakes and now I don’t use the 10mm outer spacer, I use Crowsfoot wheels on his kit, they just require a very small amount of grinding to fit, and they are the best brakes you could ever put on a Splitty, the pedal feel is amazing. Ian
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

I think I tried that setup, but the stick out on studs interfered with the hubcap.

Typically the corners of the wheel cutouts will rub first, at least on 15" wheels, but are easily knocked down with a grinder. Im doing a set on a friends 14" wheeled pickup now.

Edit - So others arent confused, the kit requires NO grinding, modifying anything to install. Its completely ready to go out of the box

Last edited by chrisflstf on Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

sled wrote:

I used to have literally that exact setup. I had BFG all terrain 215/75r15 with stock bus 15" wheels. Zero rubbing whatsoever and I drove it offroad with aggression often.
If I wanted to, I could lock up the front tires easily.
and when I say used to, I mean because I lowered the bus mildly and am still using the disc brakes.

Perfect.
Thanks Sled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Just as a note, I am all in for an early beam version. Would like to keep my link pin early spindles.

I've been checking in with Brian of Type e regularly and the early spindle kit is almost ready for market. I'm hopeful to have my 58 single upgraded this spring. I've always been a bit of a purist, but if you drive your bus, I highly recommend this disc brake kit. Much safer braking... especially if you need a sudden stop.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

That's awesome, I will send him a message.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

When I had questions about my kit and when I was having issues (which as you see a page or two back had nothing to do with the kit) Brian was extremely helpful via email. He definitely seems like someone who wants his product to work and the customer to be satisfied.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the GM caliper on the Type E kit. The nickel is the size of the existing drum brake wheel cylinder. Look at the monster on the GM caliper, haha. Its about 8x as large

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

keep in mind you have to account for both front wheel cylinders when comparing bore size...but yeah the disc caliper piston is much larger, and can apply much more force to the rotor with less pedal effort

that being said, it is difficult to compare drum to disc piston bores as the two different brake systems apply their braking forces differently.

the reason the pedal can travel farther and have a softer feel, is because more fluid movement is required to push a larger piston (surface area and therefore volume) but less pedal force will be required due to this leverage relationship.

and very important, you must leave the residual pressure valve in place on the REAR circuit, while removing it from the front.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

I just did another install of this kit on my friends 66 Single cab, 14” wheels. He just blew out a front wheel cylinder and barely made it home. I told him –“ time to upgrade to the Type E kits

He did all the removal of the old stuff and both front metal hard lines. It took me only about an hour to get the kit installed. I cleaned out the holes on the spindle to mount the brackets, torqued everything, packed the bearings, installed seal and rotors went on , no problemo.

We used Durago rotors, Raybestos calipers and Bosch semi – metallic pads. About $220 total for all

Yesterday, bled the lines, readjusted the MC pushrod. Had to fix a loose nut on the brake pedal assy. Went around 2x for bleeding. No leak, firm pedal and fronts grab as soon as the pedal moves about an inch. He just called to tell me it’s the best brakes he has ever, ever had. Nice thing about these rotors is they come with bearing races preinstalled.

I almost wish I knew someone else to convince about these as they truly are the bomb. I will never use front drums again.

burnabystew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Any update on the earlier bus solution? I have a '60 bus and I would like to use this kit. It makes a lot of sense and a lot of people saying good things about it.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

I am sure any progress is probably hampered by parts availability. No doubt Brian will update when an early kit is available.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

I’m planning on putting an early, ball joint beam in a 60 panel. Since the drums are the same from 64-70, will this kit work on early BJ spindles?
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
I’m planning on putting an early, ball joint beam in a 60 panel. Since the drums are the same from 64-70, will this kit work on early BJ spindles?

He has a kit for early bays. It is mostly the same as split, with a different grease seal.

https://type-emotorsports.com/products/type-e-ez-stop-baywindow-bus-disk-brake-kit-1968-1970
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Thanks! For some reason I didn’t see that on the site.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: