Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission stuck in 3rd
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coco50448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

Hi, I’ve got a 2002 beetle with the 1.9tdi and the 01m transmission. And as of now it is stuck in 3rd gear, (can shift it manually up to 3rd) but I can clear the code it has with a snap-on scanner and it will shift perfectly normal. Soon as I shut it off and restart it, the code comes back and it’s stuck in 3rd again, which I understand is limp mode. The code it throws is “65535 checksum error - ecu defective unknown subcode.” Anyways I tore the dash apart to check the tcm and ecu and found I had a really bad mouse problem. While inspecting wires I found on the back of the tcm plug there was 2 little white wires the looked cut but they didn’t have a place they went into the plug itself. So I’m not sure if they are suppose to be cut or if they are suppose to be connected to something. Hoping someone knows. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

The white wires don't really look "nibbled on" (I assume that's what you meant by "mouse problem") but cut. Do you see what they would have connected to?

Also...this forum does say "'68 and up" but it primarily focuses on the "Classic Beetle" and not the new beetle...which is probably why there is a lack of replies. The classic beetle doesn't have any computer stuff so that's kinda outside the knowledge of what this forum normally addresses...but that doesn't mean we can't try to help! Let me know the answers to the questions above and let's see where we can get you.

Also...are you able to clean the contacts of all of those wires? That could cause a connection issue where it thinks I can't figure out what's going on (I would think...I do not know).
Coco50448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:
The white wires don't really look "nibbled on" (I assume that's what you meant by "mouse problem") but cut. Do you see what they would have connected to?

Also...this forum does say "'68 and up" but it primarily focuses on the "Classic Beetle" and not the new beetle...which is probably why there is a lack of replies. The classic beetle doesn't have any computer stuff so that's kinda outside the knowledge of what this forum normally addresses...but that doesn't mean we can't try to help! Let me know the answers to the questions above and let's see where we can get you.

Also...are you able to clean the contacts of all of those wires? That could cause a connection issue where it thinks I can't figure out what's going on (I would think...I do not know).

Any other forums you’d recommend then? Also I agree the wires do
Not look nibbled on and the plug has no matching wires or empty holes for that matter. I just did know if they were connect together or not. And I sprayed some maf cleaner in all the plugs and such to clean them. Still no help. Cleared all the grounds in the dash, no help. Kinda at a lost here.
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

I personally am not aware of any New Beetle forums but there is a "Water Cooled" section here on thesamba: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
Hopefully they can give some help.

If I were you I'd try to find a junkyard ECU and swap it out to see if that makes a difference...trusting the reader findings of "defective" and see where that takes you. Sorry I can't be of more help.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

Moved to Water-Cooled section
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

A good wiring diagram would help you locate the purpose of those wires.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

Coco50448 wrote:
Any other forums you’d recommend then?

newbeetle.org

Very nice forum. Cool
NY thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

I've seen a hose inside the 1.9TDI ECU that connects to the MAP sensor dry rot and crack, giving the defective ECU code. It throws the computer into limp mode. Might be worth it to pull out the ECU, open it up and check.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 3rd Reply with quote

The best way is to Google the fault code, here is some of what I got with
https://www.bing.com/search?q=65535+error+code+vw&...dd2100139a
I think you need to look at this one because it's transmission related
https://automotivetechinfo.com/2018/09/vw-01m-transmission-65535-error/
But You'll need to log in to view
Quote:
"Please log in below to view content.
Don't have a log in? Click here to register for free access."

or here:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/vag-com-error-code-65535.261804/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: