Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWoA service Kombis 1956, the Schulwagen
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: VWoA service Kombis 1956, the Schulwagen Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found this picture in some German VW literature from 1956. It looks like the kombis have logos on the side, as well as the cool signage up top.

Does anyone know of any other pictures of these kombis? Any good views of the logos?

I plugged the text into google's translator, and this is what it spit out:

For more than six months, the 14 foremen were trained in general practice and special courses at the Volkswagen factory and then at a number of our wholesalers as operations managers and customer service advisors before we sent them to the six existing over there together with seven new operations engineers in the USA, where they now go to their service school Volkswagen for the technical training of all vw sales travel around, not without at the same time providing immediate good customer service as "trouble-shooters", like the Americans, as a flying fire brigade against difficult repair cases, as we would say. the convoy of 14 cars is here in front of the "Volkswagen of America inc." in Englewood Cliffs in the state of New Jersey, mr van de Kamp's new residence, drove up for a group photo.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Awesome photo.

Are "difficult repair cases" akin to bummed out customers or does it mean something entirely different.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Awesome photo.

Are "difficult repair cases" akin to bummed out customers or does it mean something entirely different.
I'm guessing it was for major mechanical repairs. in 1956, There were very few VWs in the country that were more than 3 years old. Most of the service personnel probably had little or no experience rebuilding an engine or transmission.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Who is hoarding those mobile signs?

Certainly at least one survived

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Very cool. I wonder if they had Matra tool chests in the back?
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

I would love to see more/one of those signs Very Happy
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Better yet, who's gonna step up and start making a few of 'em for sale to the VW Bus nut who thought he had everything?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Better yet, who's gonna step up and start making a few of 'em for sale to the VW Bus nut who thought he had everything?

Bill
I am planning on making one for my '57 kombi, unless someone else wants to make some, and I would be happy to buy one from them. I have a feeling it is not going to be cheap or easy. I would really like to know what logos to paint on the side of the bus.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

These were Germans sent over by the factory to drive around and train American service departments. Many of these
Germans ended up staying in the U.S., and going to work for the distributors and dealers they helped train.

Heinz Nordhoff
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

These were Germans sent over by the factory to drive around and train American service departments. Many of these
Germans ended up staying in the U.S., and going to work for the distributors and dealers they helped train.

Thanks. I knew there was a different view. Unfortunately, still not a good shot of the logos on the side of the bus. Hopefully another picture will turn up.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Some pics of one sent from Volkswagen Germany to NZ. From memory the pics are from 57. Note; the plate on the bus coming off the ship, its the same bus but with alt logo on the cargo door side. Euro rhd with semaphores, safaris and no light on top but the logo seems to match the one in your first pic...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kyle Mock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

I wonder how long vwoa ran this program. I have a 60 kombi with a export code of UQ (USA VWOA personnel) I had kinda thought that maybe it was an employee incentive program for purchasing vehicles but maybe it had been intended for this
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Some pics of one sent from Volkswagen Germany to NZ. From memory the pics are from 57. Note; the plate on the bus coming off the ship, its the same bus but with alt logo on the cargo door side. Euro rhd with semaphores, safaris and no light on top but the logo seems to match the one in your first pic...

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

If you look carefully at

I am pretty sure I make out a VW313

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/tools/313_front.jpg

mounted in the cargo area
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
If you look carefully at

I am pretty sure I make out a VW313

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/tools/313_front.jpg

mounted in the cargo area

Nice eye.
I'm assuming they pulled that out to use it because putting an engine into the Bus and then mounting it on the VW313 inside the Bus would be a PITA!
If the engine even fit without hitting the ceiling
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

from another topic:
CaLiBus wrote:

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Would you run into trouble making that logo, from VW?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Would you run into trouble making that logo, from VW?
On BAT, people sell fantasy buses with Porsche logos with seeming impunity. UPS absolutely freaked out on a bus owner who had an old UPS bus which UPS had sold in the '60s or '70s. I would guess that VW falls somewhere in between. Selling or commercially using something with trademarked logos is usually a terrible idea.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

^^ I like the oh so practical white Elvis-ish jumpsuit the technician is wearing. All it needs is some screaming eagle sequins on the back!
RalphMH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA service Kombis 1956 Reply with quote

Lind recently asked me if I might have something in my literature collection about these vehicles. And yes, I do indeed have something, namely a brochure from 1954 about the "Kundendienst-Schulwagen". These vehicles, based on a Kombi Type 23, were equipped with display models of the engine, front axle and rear axle with transmission. Plus a certain selection of special tools, customer service literature, instruction boards, etc. These vehicles were used for on-site training of workshop personnel. The exterior design varied from country to country.

Velvet Green and Everett have seen correctly, it is a VW 313 on an assembly stand. And Everett guessed correctly, the tools were only stored in the Kombi for transport, and brought to an appropriate classroom on site for training.
Do you see the 310 and 311 as well? Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: