Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

To me the safety relay would cut out if heater does not start whithin 230sec.
Pic out of factory service manual for the BA4

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:

/Lars S

The situation I had scared me a bit in retrospect. I was on a drive with the heater turned on. I could hear the heater fuel pump ticking the whole 20 minute drive, so I was thinking the heater was heating. It was not because combustion had never taken place and not mucn heat in the car. Sooo… can this be a situation where the heater is filling with raw gas? Could this be a possible explosion. I don’t understand how the heater system could allow this. Ever heard of this causing an explosion or fire?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Lars S wrote:

/Lars S

The situation I had scared me a bit in retrospect. I was on a drive with the heater turned on. I could hear the heater fuel pump ticking the whole 20 minute drive, so I was thinking the heater was heating. It was not because combustion had never taken place and not mucn heat in the car. Sooo… can this be a situation where the heater is filling with raw gas? Could this be a possible explosion. I don’t understand how the heater system could allow this. Ever heard of this causing an explosion or fire?

Bill

Lars is correct, when there is no flame/ignition within X amount of time, the flame detector (that rod/probe assembly)....shuts off the ignition and fuel. I think it shuts them both off but for sure it shuts off fuel. I will have to go back and read.

So, unless there is something else not right it should not be clicking the fuel pump for "20 minutes' typically I thinks its around 5 minutes.

What can very commonly cause this is that heater units that have sat unused for a very long time, all of the fuel upstream of the fuel metering pump will evaporate out and vent from the chamber through the exhaust.

Its very common that the system runs with the fuel pump clicking for 5-8 minutes. During this time its simply filling up the empty line and the heater control times out before the fuel reaches the inlet tube and mantle at the top.

Usually the first firing of the heater in the winter does this. You have to turn it off and reset it and let it go through the clicking and shutdown cycle a couple of times until the fuel line is full and it can quickly fire up before it times out.

The only things I have see that can cause a fire in these units are a leaking fuel hose ...leaking right where it connects to the inlet elbow on the heater near the glow plug. ...where some of the fuel is going into the unit...enough to cause combustion so it does not shutdown... but a portion is leaking out on top of the hot heater unit and can catch fire.

So....thats worth looking at with your symptom...because if teh fuel pump is clicking for 20 minutes but you seem to be getting no appreciable extra heat out of the unit....it can be leaking some of its fuel dosage either up near the top or really anywhere North of the fuel metering pump. You get enough fuel to keep the temperature probe hot to sustain running...but not a full charge of fuel to get maximum heat out of it.

The other things that can cause a fire....are if someone twiddled with the wiring...to bypass a high temp limit switch that keeps popping the 25 amp fuse. It usually does this when the pump is poorly adjusted and too much fuel is getting in...or if something is blocking the air flow through the unit.

I have seen it a couple of times where the safety circuit fuse is wired around to keep it running. I have also seen wires moved around in an odd configuration where once it starts heating, the thermostat does not work and it does not shut off.
This usually happens when one of the double relays is bad or has a bad wire and the owner cannot get power to the heater...so they jumper off of a local 12 volt source. Sure...it runs but you cannot turn it off once its started.

I had a gold four door 412 that I bought that the owner said could not get the heater working. He tweaked a lot of things....most of it not good. I did not notice the jumper and finally got the fuel pump working and the heater came on. Great heat!....and it got hotter and hotter....I turned off the green knob but two minutes later its still cranking.

I pulled over in traffic and there was smoke rolling out of the heater vents. It was burning the plastic covered bellow off the output side. I pulled the plugs from the relays inside the engine compartment. It shut down. I was lucky.

Check your fuel hose. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Laughing You have no idea how happy I am this afternoon and I also have my late Dad to thank! He had the foresight back in the '80s to scrounge around for a gas heater at the Old Volks Home down by Boeing field here in Seattle. He has saved the day!

My heater diagnosis led me to a glow plug that was heating but was not firing the spark. I had a spare glow plug but it exhibited the same problem. I followed the procedures in my little BA 4 trouble shooting manual. Well, it led me to checking out the heater coil and it tested bad with the ohm meter at the terminals. Coil wire tested good. What do you know, I have a spare coil from the complete heater my Dad found years ago. I could not get it installed fast enough and BINGO, the glow plug had both heat and a sparking that was so beautiful. Put it all together and it all works so nice now... just like new. I will test drive more tonite just to be sure. Should be perfect.

Bill

Here's the culprit.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Cool!

I have done so much troubleshooting over the years that I could not even remember if the system would keep pumping fuel when it had no spark. The spark and glow plug section get power and ground from the same place.

But keep an eye out. If its not "BURNING"...it :SHOULD" quit pumping fuel. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Cool!

I have done so much troubleshooting over the years that I could not even remember if the system would keep pumping fuel when it had no spark. The spark and glow plug section get power and ground from the same place.

But keep an eye out. If its not "BURNING"...it :SHOULD" quit pumping fuel. Ray

Yeah, that fuel pump running is a bad situation. Will for sure keep my eye on that. Last thing I want to do is burn this beauty up.

Just got back from a 15 mile test drive and the report is flawless! The heat this heater produces is so nice. AND, the engine is running so nice. This restoration has turned out so fine. Ray, too bad you don't live close by. You would enjoy riding in and driving this 412. Very Happy

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

As long as we are still talking about the gas heater, I want to understand more about fuel delivery with the engine off. Say using the timer on the dash, how is a constant supply of fuel delivered? I am not aware that the main fuel pump up front runs when in this mode. Won't the fuel supply eventually run out? Never have fully understood this...

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
As long as we are still talking about the gas heater, I want to understand more about fuel delivery with the engine off. Say using the timer on the dash, how is a constant supply of fuel delivered? I am not aware that the main fuel pump up front runs when in this mode. Won't the fuel supply eventually run out? Never have fully understood this...

Bill

It's not designed to run for long periods with the engine off....both for battery power and fuel supply.

The fuel supply to the metering pump is gravity fed. That little plastic bubble on the return line is its reservoir along with any fuel in the maybe 2 feet of fuel line coming from above to feed the metering pump.

I think the longest I was able to run with engine off at moderate heat.....meaning the pump only pumps maybe 30 seconds out of 1 minute......is about 15-20 minutes before it runs out of fuel.

Now.....if battery power is not an issue....let's say you have twin batteries.....you can easily install a simple inline fuel filter on the downstream side of the plastic bubble reservoir that will probably give you an easy 4-5X run time.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Hey thanks Ray. Now I know everything about this BA 4 system Wink

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Another problem I had to deal with was repairing the passenger side outside rear view mirror. I think the repair I did will work.

Using JB weld I practiced on a spare bolt that I ground the threads off of. After 24 hours of letting the weld set I cut new threads with a die. Tightened a nut and added pressure and it held.

So I did the same to the mirror I am using and after attaching to the door, it held with some torque. I am hopeful this will hold over the long run. Nothing like using the stock mirror

Bill
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Wow------what a beautifull Type 412. Love the color. I'm greatfull for all the information ypu an Ray presented in your discussion. Ill be reinstalling my heater soon. Ive had it out for sometime now. The only thing left that needs to be tested is the blower moter. Sitting the points and testing the condensers is beyond my capibilities so i will need help on that. Bob
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Wow------what a beautifull Type 412. Love the color. I'm greatfull for all the information ypu an Ray presented in your discussion. Ill be reinstalling my heater soon. Ive had it out for sometime now. The only thing left that needs to be tested is the blower moter. Sitting the points and testing the condensers is beyond my capibilities so i will need help on that. Bob

Thanks Bob,
I tried to post as many repairs as possible so other members could learn from it. Going through the gas heater is not that difficult. A car battery, volt/ohm meter, feeler gages. Ray and ClassicCamper certainly helped alot! Please ask any of us for help if needed. I believe I kept all my notes. You do want to make sure it is functioning correctly before installation because it is a bitch to deal with in the car.

Bill
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

On another subject----just wondering if during your work on your car if you ever had to replace the seals on the fixed side windows?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

I did not remove or replace any seals or windows. I know the seals are original and old but the car had been garaged for most of it’s life so I left them alone. I wanted to keep all the bright work. Getting new seals with the bright work channels was impossible so the decision was made to leave well enough alone. My body and paint shop used a trick where they rolled the edges of the seals back during prep and painting. I was lucky in that I had no corrosion or rust in any of the window areas. I did remove the inside and outside front window scraper trims. That was easy. I will keep treating the rubber with a protectant/rejuvenator from time to time. I am very happy with my decision.

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Problems keep rearing their ugly heads but not really bad ones… they just become smaller.

The heating system now. Driving around in colder weather the wagon was getting somewhat warm but not like I remembered from years ago. The gas heater is working flawlessly but the volume of heat was not. Hmmm…. With the gas heater switched off virtually no heat was flowing into the cabin. Ok, seems like a restriction somewhere.

I had a suspicion about the 2 heater control flapper boxes. The ones that are attached to the lever control cables. The cables were fastened and adjusted like they should be. I then found with the heater turned on and engine running a large amount of hot air exiting thru the bypass. This was even with the regulators in the fully on position. I disconnected the cables on both of them and no matter how I regulated them by hand there was still a huge amount of hot air bypass to the ground! There’s the problem!

Apparently the internal flapper valves are not working as designed… both of them equally so. Now I am wondering if they can be repaired or am I having to find NOS ones? Anybody ever run across this. The type 4 boxes are unique to these cars is what it looks like.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Problems keep rearing their ugly heads but not really bad ones… they just become smaller.

The heating system now. Driving around in colder weather the wagon was getting somewhat warm but not like I remembered from years ago. The gas heater is working flawlessly but the volume of heat was not. Hmmm…. With the gas heater switched off virtually no heat was flowing into the cabin. Ok, seems like a restriction somewhere.

I had a suspicion about the 2 heater control flapper boxes. The ones that are attached to the lever control cables. The cables were fastened and adjusted like they should be. I then found with the heater turned on and engine running a large amount of hot air exiting thru the bypass. This was even with the regulators in the fully on position. I disconnected the cables on both of them and no matter how I regulated them by hand there was still a huge amount of hot air bypass to the ground! There’s the problem!

Apparently the internal flapper valves are not working as designed… both of them equally so. Now I am wondering if they can be repaired or am I having to find NOS ones? Anybody ever run across this. The type 4 boxes are unique to these cars is what it looks like.

Bill

From memory...if the flap hinges are not rusted or bent....meaning that they move properly.....inside there was a seal ring or a sealing disc on the flap that rots away.

This is "essentially" same problem that happens in the front vent box where you can no longer close the vents tight enough to keep frigid air from seeping through the dash vents.

You should be able to make a disc of ~3/16" to 1/4" thick high temp silicone foam sheet and adhere it to the disc/flap in the boxes to block venting the hot air to the outside. I will have to look at mine to refresh my memory of the issue.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Ray,

I think you are exactly right. The regulator box hinges and levers are not rusted and move freely. So looks like whatever seal or gasket was in there is gone. Hopefully the fix you have presented is doable.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

I have a how to somewhere about doing the flaps under the dash. It should be very similar.

The problem I found with resealing a flap that hinges from one side is that it is not as simple as putting a layer of sealing material across the whole flap. That causes a pinch point in the back near the flap hinge and does not allow the flap to fully close.

The solution...for the under dash flaps...was to cut a small disc of sealing foam the exact diameter of the tube. Then close the flap all the way. Put glue on the disc and drop it into the tube exactly centered and adhere it to the flap.

This creates a sealing "plug"

In this way the flap is known to close all the way but any air that tries to blow past the crack gets stopped by the plug. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I have a how to somewhere about doing the flaps under the dash. It should be very similar.

The problem I found with resealing a flap that hinges from one side is that it is not as simple as putting a layer of sealing material across the whole flap. That causes a pinch point in the back near the flap hinge and does not allow the flap to fully close.

The solution...for the under dash flaps...was to cut a small disc of sealing foam the exact diameter of the tube. Then close the flap all the way. Put glue on the disc and drop it into the tube exactly centered and adhere it to the flap.

This creates a sealing "plug"

In this way the flap is known to close all the way but any air that tries to blow past the crack gets stopped by the plug. Ray

I have yet to pull my flapper boxes back off the car. Never have had one of these apart. Is there just 1 flapper or 2 flappers in the box? Trying to understand how that missing seal was fitted originally from the factory. Have seen some photos of NOS valves and it appears as if the rubber sealing ring is fitting around the perimeter of the flapper. If so, this was done before the valve box was assembled I assume?

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

I want proper heat! I coaxed myself into the cold garage today to tackle the problem…

AH HA! Found and fixed the problem and turns out I was the Villian. In the process learned all about these flapper valves.

First of all there is a seal on the face of the flappers. Looks to me it is an asbestos seal bonded to the face. Makes perfect sense because of the heat involved here. Both my boxes were just fine. See 2 photos below.

This photo shows the pass side box removed. Notice the connecting tube still in place. This is where the problem was. I had assembled that tube too deep into the flapper box and thus jammed the flapper from fully moving Embarassed. I did it to both boxes. So, it was jammed towards the closed bypass position with just a little heat making it to the cabin.

So, now how this box really functions…. The box has 2 flappers and in between them is a pressure relief spring system. I think it is designed this way to allow less pressure on the hand lever cables when you pull hard to the full open or on position. The middle spring feature saves the cables over the long run because the flapper valves are “cushioned”. The next 2 photos show the 2 flappers.

I reassembled the driver’s side and took care not to push the box too far onto the connecting tube. Connected and adjusted the cable. Works like the factory intended it to. This was a very satisfying “solve the problem” afternoon.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: