Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update Part 2... the problems Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Hey everyone,

Will add things from time to time about problems that come up.

Just a beautiful fall day yesterday to take Goldie out for some exercise. Mid 30s outside so its a cold weather drive.

She starts right up and turn on the gas heater for warmth. Goes through it’s idle warmup smoothly for a few minutes with no problem, just like it should. I am backing out of the garage and stalls out in the driveway. I try to restart but the engine is now running very rough and stalls again. Ok WTF! It now will not restart but cranks ok. I walk away and come back in 20 minutes and she fires right up. Runs smoothly for about a minute and stumbles and dies again. No restart. It repeated this behavior in another 20 mins. Ok, where’s the problem?

I spent the rest of the afternoon checking basics. The spark plugs were black and sooty. I installed a new set because I did not want to clean the old ones. Vacuum tested the MPS and it holds vac. Checked the cylinder head temp sensor at different temps and it passed. Distributor dwell was at 49 degrees running, check. Replaced the fuel filter again because it had a bit of that brown silty material in it…but really not much. I will have to keep doing this until my gas tank completly settles out.

Well, about 6 in the afternoon I tried a start. She fired right up! The idle settled in and my fuel pressure gauge showed 28psi…perfect. Now the discovery. Engine running sweetly I started to jiggle FI wires. When I touched the cyl. head sensor wire at the connector the engine immediately stalled! Restarted the engine and ran perfectly until I moved the wire again. Stalls out again. Needless to say the previous repair I made to this connector is not good. Will repair this in a few days when the weather is a bit warmer.

Hope this helps someone in the future when you encounter these weird problems. I have to really be careful because I am still running my original FI harness. Maybe someday a new harness will be needed. I am just thankful this happened in my driveway!

Bill

Just to let everyone know, I repaired the cyl. head temp. wire connection and all is back to normal. That crazy connection is so important otherwise you will have strange running issues or NO running at all!

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: