Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

At 1st mock up, the deck heights were checked and I got 0.034" on the 1/2 side, 0.029" on the 3/4 side. Whether due to initial measurement error or settling I got 0.004" less on the 2nd and 3rd checks with the shims I had. I decided in the end to use 0.020" shims one side and had some 0.015" locally made for the other. This would get me an even deck and within target, with 0.045" feeling "safe" to me - better than 0.050" for squish, while not risking accidentally going under 0.040". Remember, this is my first engine build so I'm trying to stay in my comfort zone.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The heads had arrived and Greg did a great job. They looked great and the 55cc requested chambers were spot on. Just as important, I could now set up valve geometry and cut the pushrods.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

With everything checked by now multiple times and all parts to hand it was time to give everything another very thorough clean ready for final assembly.

Full disclosure - Getting to this point had actually taken several weeks of doing bits as and when. Both when I had some undisturbed time, and was in the mood, gradually gaining confidence as it went on. As it happened, final build time coincided with a school half term break (last week), so one of my boys decided he wanted to lend a hand. He's only 13, but is very capable and has shown huge interest in the build so far. This meant the build took a little longer still, but would be a great bonding experience and an extra pair of eyes couldn't hurt. I let him do as much as possible (obviously checking everything) so this could be "his build".

Probably good practice anyway, but we decided to go through every measurement yet again during the build (for my own reassurance as much as his benefit).

The obligatory cam timing pic so I don't second guess myself, waking up at 3am after bolting the case together.

The first day of the build had to end at this point due to other commitments, so a couple of nuts held it together and it was bagged up to keep it clean.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

A couple of days later the case was properly sealed up, torqued, end play set, flywheel seal fitted, head studs in, barrels, pistons (with tru arc retainers for the wrist pins), etc.
Incidentally, the final deck measurement ended up an even 0.044" both sides. For those interested, plugging engine details into Gofastmath.com approximates I should be around 8.86:1 static compression and 7.45:1 dynamic. Very happy with that, the heads were torqued into place before we took a well earned break for (late) lunch.
You may notice that, despite having tapped the case, I decided to use a CSP Easyflow pump for full flow. I've had good results with them in the past and it meant I could use unmodified pulley tin which I prefer.

Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

Back from lunch the torques were re-checked then rocker assemblies fitted and adjusted. Finally, the generator stand with the "damaged box" Vintage Speed filler I had and the oil cooler were bolted into place. The pulley tin and CSP stock style pulley were fitted and the flyheel torqued into place.

Now we just need to find time to swap the tinware and ancilliaries over from the old engine, re-jet the carbs and get it started. Hopefully some time in the next week or so.

This last one is just because I thought it was a cool shot

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

very nice work Cool and heartening to see a keen teen getting such 'hands on' experience.
safety note - make sure his hair is tied back out the way when firing up the new motor Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Finster.

Apart from the Tru-arc clips on the wrist pins he did most of the build himself under a watchful eye. He did a great job and I'm sure it's an experience he'll never forget. Current plan is to finish the bolt on parts this weekend with him so we can get it fired up for cam break in, and yes, hair will be tied back and/or tucked into a hat.
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

Decided to match port the manifolds today. They didn't need a lot, but every little helps. Taper blended the "porting" by just over an inch then ran a coarse flexy honing tool up the runners to further blend and give a slight texture to the full length.

The plenum was also slightly enlarged, had minor blending, and I improved the "knife edge" where the runners separated.

Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

Build complete and ready to fire up. Apart from the fan shroud (Scat) and industrial tins (Buttys bits) all the tinware is genuine VW and fitted nicely. The CSP linkage has raised mounts for the rods to try and give them a better angle with the tall manifolds. I connected the breather from the Vintage speed filler to the RH air filter and from the fuel pump blank to the LH air filter, more to give a balanced look than because I feel both are needed.

I'm hoping to change the exhaust to a Vintage Speed SS143 at some point as it will likely suit the engine a bit better, but this one was to hand so will be used for now.

Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: August 67 (68 model) Beetle Cabrio restoration Reply with quote

I'll be waiting for a suitable day when my son is available before firing up the engine for cam break in. He's back at school in the week plus he's training for Ten Tors (a 35 mile hike around Dartmoor over 2 days) every other weekend, but should be soon(ish).

In other news, the body is now (loosly) back on the pan for the first time in what seems like ages. I know a huge mountain of work remains to be done before it's finished, but it still feels like a major milestone.
The plan is to do the re-fitting and aligning of the doors at the same time as the final tightening down just to be sure. Time and patience now will pay off in the long term. We're not expecting any major issues, but just in case I'm thinking that will be best done on a quiet day or few days with no disturbances.

Getting to this point, I also decided to take a look back through my notes and photos from the past few years of work getting to this stage. Even I'd forgotten how much work it took to get to where we are now, and just how scary some of it was. The last slightly scary job will probably be the roof.
The rest I'm thinking is just lots of time and care to get it how I want it first time. Ideally nothing should have to be taken off and done again later. Keeping patience at this stage is probably harder than at the start, but the long goal has to be the focus.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: