Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

kiwipip wrote:
Thanks I was really tossing up whether I post the build on here because I know it upsets a lot of purists...

This build is pretty amazing. I am doing a budget EV build on a '78 Westy Bus.

I have been putting the progress of my build on my YouTube channel. Also, I will occasionally post on the EVConversion subreddit. Both places have folks that really appreciate this kind of stuff.

Again, it looks like you are doing a fantastic job on this build; everything from the body work to the conversion.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

kiwipip wrote:
Imadesignerd wrote:
Love everything about this build. I wanted to convert my project to an EV but can’t currently swallow the price tag. I hope that batteries and equipment continue to reduce over time so I might go electric one day.

Thanks I was really tossing up whether I post the build on here because I know it upsets a lot of purists, so I have made sure that there are no body mods so it can be converted back quite easily.

You’ve mentioned haters several times…. The idea of an EV doesn’t upset anyone on here.

The forums are full of shade tree dreamers who take the plasma cutter to a perfectly fine vehicle to follow their “vision” and never finish. This is the maddening part. Nobody has a problem with this project as you’re a.) finishing and b.) have been relatively respectful of the ability to transfer it back once you’ve had your fun.
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Been a bit slow on the updates because basically, nothing happened. We have a pretty rigorous certification process in New Zealand, and so have been waiting for approval for the Battery Box design that I wanted. Even though the Batteries are hidden under the rear seat I wanted that when you lifted the rear squab the Tesla Batteries are on show, so sort of making a feature of them.

They are built in sections so I don't have to try and manoeuvre the 300 plus pounds in one unit

The "C" on the lid is for a company I have Chargemaster which sells chargers for EV Vehicles but can be easily swapped out for a VW symbol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Its been a while since I did anything on the DC but I finally managed the time to do some work

I have been putting off fitting the Rear Drop sides as 8 of the captive nuts were spinning and with no access to the rear I thought I would be cutting into the freshly painted metal. Fortunately, I was able to drill a small hole beside the captive nut and insert a roll pin, wow talk about relieved.

Because I am running a brake booster in and EV I am having to install a Vacuum Pump fount this little beauty that will be tucked up on the chassis rail.

Finished the rear Disc Calipers ran the new brake lines and hoses and bled the brakes.

Because of the silent EV I have installed a tram bell that has a ding sound so when people walk in front you can simply ding to remind them to get out of the way

Lastly I have made a plinth that holds the License Plate

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

All the Dropsides are finally installed, Installed the EV Engine, the front bumpers installed with the license plate plinth, fitted the rear pop-out windows, installed the Vacuum Pump to the inside chassis rail, new wheel studs so the wheels can be properly mounted

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Mounted the Brake Vacuum Pump, installed the Throttle Potbox and mounted the emergency STOP switch and the Part, Neutral, Drive switch. So you have the option of Reverse via the gearbox or via the rotary Dial

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Can you tell me/us more about that Brake Vacuum Pump ?
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Nice work!

If you need any Tesla specific bits my son may be able to help you out. Not sure if the shipping would make sense. His shop is in Phoenix, Arizona, USA.

https://evpartssolutions.com/

Good luck with your project!

Last edited by Anchovy on Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Can you tell me/us more about that Brake Vacuum Pump ?

The pump is from CVR Performance and is a Vane type pump so runs faster and quieter than a conventional type piston pump. It is a compact design and comes complete with the relays valves etc all built into the unit.

notcho64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

The motor you built looks great in black. Where dis you source the heater tubes?

Great build btw!
www.norcalaircooledgroup.com
NAG#9
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

notcho64 wrote:
The motor you built looks great in black. Where dis you source the heater tubes?

Great build btw!

I made them, I have a couple of pics attached . I used the Heater tubes and placed them on the shroud then I applied some resin to the bare tubes when it dried it held its shape and i removed them then wrapped thin fibreglass cloth soaked in resin sanded filled any blemishes and painted. Im now going to use the Black motor in my Karmann Ghia

Bare tubes

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Managed to get a lot of the petty stuff completed today, New Throttle Pedal and linkage installed finished securing all the solid brake lines and fitting all the grommets , and Installed the rear safari and brackets, Wiper spindles installed and connected had two holes behind the Driver pillar that I presume had this coat hook that I installed, Cv Joints installed and longer wheel studs installed to accommodate the mag wheels and of course sat my little Hawaiian Hula Girl on the dash

Not too keen on the plastic wiper cover trying to get something in brass that I will Chrome plate

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Spent a lot of time once again under the vehicle doing stuff that nobody will notice. Fitted the new throttle pedal and new pivot from Buttys Bits ( a really nice and well made bit of kit an ultra smooth pedal now.

I ripped down some Oak to make the slats for the Hoops and put a radius on all the edges with my router

Lastly installed the metal Hoops just having a bit of difficulty with the length of the slats (Have posted in the CrewCab section so hopefully I can get some
answers and tick this off as another job completed)

Culito

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

My only gripe is a bunch of chrome on a commercial truck, but that's just my own personal preference.

Amazing build - I do enjoy seeing EV conversions of classic vehicles! Really well done.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

This build is amazing - super clean and detailed worksmanship - hats off sir! Very Happy
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

After some adjustments on the hoops, I had to adjust and re weld the mounting tabs and just had the frame come back from the powder coaters so after putting clear polyurethane on the oak I assembled it all.

Also have started laying out the wooden slats ready for varnishing and drilling

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

I haven't posted any updates because I haven't done anything, but having spent a day in the man shed yesterday I ticked of some of the many things that I have been putting off.

Inserted and fixed the LH & RH window frames, Im not going to lie, I tried installing once before and it was a nightmare they put my doors out of alignment and wouldn't close. So I had help this time around and with some shaping and trimming of the rubbers they fitted like a glove

As previously explained all the mods are bolt-on and can be removed and restored back to the original, Bought a new overhead vent panel to house the screen that show all the statistics ,speed battery life, and you can also select forward and reverse from this screen

Screen Mounted inside the Cab

I installed the new Blade fuse holder and installed the Parcel Shelf , feed the Speedo Cable thru so another thing ticked off the list

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

very nice
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leftcoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

I'm late to this party, but I must say that you are building the car of my dreams. The workmanship appears first class, well done!
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Well, Ive done lots but unfortunately it is all wiring and mostly hidden. I'm just waiting for a couple of switches from the other side of the world so it's put a bit of a halt on progress till these arrive.

In the meantime, I Retrofitted a 60'S Samsonite Suitcase to a Bluetooth speaker so it can sit on the rear seat to deliver sound at the back (still connected by bluetooth to the front Radio)

Or you can take it out as a portable unit where its has about 4 hours battery life before it needs to be charged.

The Grey is the same colour of the D/Cab but the Red with be upholstered it Red Leather to match the interior.

Small YouTube Link here
https://youtu.be/PriB9ZJYacc[youtube][/youtube]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: