Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

I didn't see this until too late, but I wonder if you popped the valve covers to see if any valves were stuck open or broken. That would explain the no compression on cylinders 1 & 2. It is possible if a valve was just stuck open you could have tapped it with a rubber mallet to finesse it shut.

Now that the engine is out of the car, you can still have a look under the valve covers and see if anything looks amiss. If you have to pull the heads its pretty much time to tear the whole thing down as I'm sure the heads will be welded to the cylinders from the eons of time that have passed.

Good luck,

Ted
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
I didn't see this until too late, but I wonder if you popped the valve covers to see if any valves were stuck open or broken. That would explain the no compression on cylinders 1 & 2. It is possible if a valve was just stuck open you could have tapped it with a rubber mallet to finesse it shut.

Now that the engine is out of the car, you can still have a look under the valve covers and see if anything looks amiss. If you have to pull the heads its pretty much time to tear the whole thing down as I'm sure the heads will be welded to the cylinders from the eons of time that have passed.

Good luck,

Ted
Thanks Ted, yes no worries, I checked everything I could think of including stuck valves. All eight valves were opening and closing as they should. Inside valve covers were in amazingly nice condition. It will be fun to tear the engine apart and figure out what’s happened. Any tips for loosening the heads?
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

GREAT NEWS! My painting “Hillside Conversation” has been purchased by a collector. I love my supporters. So now I can decide which tools or parts will get me furthest down the road on my Lazurus project. I will have to plan carefully to get my biggest bang for the buck.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Awesome news!!

Put the wire feed welder on the top of the list to buy then. You will want that with a gas bottle. Flux wire does not work well with sheet metal. Do not just go by the price of buying the bottle, but also how much it will cost to exchange for another full one. The very small bottle will cost less to buy, but can cost almost as much to fill as the next bigger size or even the size above that bottle. It is not the gas that costs so much, it is the fellow who has to take the time to fill it that does. Plus the bigger the bottle the less trips across town to get it filled again, so you save time and fuel.

We have a Hobart Handler, and I have self taught myself how to use it. Biggest thing I dislike about it, is that the power switch only has four settings. Would be far better with infinite selection switch instead.

Lots of good info in the forums about wire feed welders, so do a search. Lincoln or Miller are the best, even if you get a used working one parts are available. Unlike some cheapy fly by night welder that later you find parts are no longer available...
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Eric. I have some experience with welding and metal fab. I did a complete bare metal restoration on 64 MGB. It needed a lot of metal fab, floors, shrinking and stretching.I learned a lot. I got rid of most of my tools because I have such a crap garage and little chance of ever getting a real one. I guess I need a little distraction from my art making so can’t stop myself.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Nice painting!

For removing the heads from the cylinders, I recommend a rubber mallet. You'll want to soak the head to cylinder joint with plenty of PB Blaster, or whatever lubricant you feel has the best penetrating qualities. You can then use the rubber mallet to tap on the head to loosen it up. If you tap on the fins, be sure to tap directly inline with them to avoid breaking them off.

Good luck

Ted

Last edited by fl59bug on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Thanks fl59bug. I will take that advice. Thanks.
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

I feel fortunate to find a decent chassis today. Seems like the biggest bang for my bucks. I realize that I could rebuild my existing rotted out chassis but it’s just not cost effective. Can US exchange rate is terrible. Add taxes and shipping and consider the efforts needed to repair everything and it’s a no brainer for me. Picking the new piece up tonight with the help of a neighbor . One step closer!
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Small update. Made some progress this week. Plenty of broken bolts but disassembly went well. Just waiting for a lifting assist onto my dolly and then everything will be safely ensconced inside the dry and warm garage. It will be snug but space efficient.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Did you get a title with the new pan? The car is titled to the pan, not the body.

So you would need to register the car with the title that matches the VIN stamped on the pan.
Wily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Artistic gearhead wrote:
I feel fortunate to find a decent chassis today. Seems like the biggest bang for my bucks. I realize that I could rebuild my existing rotted out chassis but it’s just not cost effective. Can US exchange rate is terrible. Add taxes and shipping and consider the efforts needed to repair everything and it’s a no brainer for me. Picking the new piece up tonight with the help of a neighbor . One step closer!

That looks like a much younger chassis?
Unfortunately, a beetle loses its value when the body and chassis do not have matching numbers.
A beetle is registered on the chassis number and then you would have e.g. a 59 body but with a 72 chassis.
A shame in my eyes, I wouldn't go putting money into that.
Because you will be surprised how expensive pre 1960 parts are Wink
price x2 compared to a 1961 and price x3 to x4 compared to +1967 pieces
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Wily wrote:

Look again. That has the buttons to lock in the floor mats, a pre-1961 item (for USA at least). Would not be that hard to cut out the spot welds to switch the good pans onto the original chassi.
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Can anyone identify what the v shaped bracket in my trunk is? I’ve looked through a lot of images but don’t see a match. I presume it’s not original to the car?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

I suspect that the bracket (and the big hole in the firewall) have something to do with a gas heater.
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I suspect that the bracket (and the big hole in the firewall) have something to do with a gas heater.

Oh I see. Well that’s not happening for this build so I will tidy that up. Thanks for the insight.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Is that the passenger side front inspection hole cover screwed over the hole behind the funky bracket?
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Is that the passenger side front inspection hole cover screwed over the hole behind the funky bracket?

Sorry to be ignorant but not sure what you are describing. I’ll attach a larger photo. Maybe that will answer your question.
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Did you get a title with the new pan? The car is titled to the pan, not the body.

So you would need to register the car with the title that matches the VIN stamped on the pan.

This is a 66 pan. I bought it for peace of mind, figuring to rob off it what I need. Initial tear down of my car freaked me out. Everything is crumbling. Now that I have the body off I’m not so worried. Still haven’t gotten a good look into tunnels condition but the rest seems saveable. Yayyy.
Strange phenomenon in our greenhouse. Things are sprouting.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Wily wrote:

Look again. That has the buttons to lock in the floor mats, a pre-1961 item (for USA at least). Would not be that hard to cut out the spot welds to switch the good pans onto the original chassi.

It also has the turned upper shock mounts and snubbers catches in the rear torsion housing castings. I see the reinforcements on the rear frame forks. This frame also lacks a choke cable tube.

What I see most of all is the threaded mounting points on both sides of the frame for the attachment of front seat belts. That was introduced for the '62 model year Beetle. Up front I see the narrow frame head reinforcements and vertical brackets for the front brake flex hoses that tell me the frame is at the newest 1964.

The frame has substantial differences to the 1959 frame. Your splitcase transaxle will not bolt into this frame. There is no choke cable provisions. You would need to add them or update the carburetor and distributor to 40 horse parts (VW approved change to the 36 horse engine). The engine and transaxle will mounted at an angle, like on 1960 and newer Beetles, not level like on 1959 and older Beetles. I don't know what all parts that could effect.
Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Bug Lazurus, Resurrection Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
Wily wrote:

It also has the turned upper shock mounts and snubbers catches in the rear torsion housing castings. I see the reinforcements on the rear frame forks. This frame also lacks a choke cable tube.

What I see most of all is the threaded mounting points on both sides of the frame for the attachment of front seat belts. That was introduced for the '62 model year Beetle. Up front I see the narrow frame head reinforcements and vertical brackets for the front brake flex hoses that tell me the frame is at the newest 1964.

The frame has substantial differences to the 1959 frame. Your splitcase transaxle will not bolt into this frame. There is no choke cable provisions. You would need to add them or update the carburetor and distributor to 40 horse parts (VW approved change to the 36 horse engine). The engine and transaxle will mounted at an angle, like on 1960 and newer Beetles, not level like on 1959 and older Beetles. I don't know what all parts that could effect.

Yes Eric, I have figured that out now that body is off. A plethora of differences to be sure. The 59 appears fragile beside the 66.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: