Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICON VW pistons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Maybe a reverse dome (dish) version for the turbo guys wanting a tight quench?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

I wish I could give everyone a piston that would do all, slay all the dragons, win all the races, etc.

oh wait... we have a custom department .. we can do that too! Laughing Laughing

There is no sarcasm in my statement above. We can build customs along the lines of the normal ICON piston but it does cost significantly more money and you are looking at a order minimum of 8 pistons.

as far as a production piston that would have those options... that gets difficult. making a piston that you could put .100 -.150 dish in the crown require more material , which means more weight.... sure I could make pistons with a certain cc dish in the crown, but I would need some sort of consensus on what is the ideal volume. Head cc, deck height and rod length vary so much in VW building , and everyone has a setup they seem to prefer.. some folks like stock length rods while others like to go with the longest rod they can get their hands on with a super short compression height piston. this is in comparison to most other engines builds that dont have 7,8, 9 different strokes available , and 4 different rod lengths.

Long story short. I can build you whatever you want... how much do you want to spend?

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Your wish is your command, we can do this.

Just need about a 10cc reverse dome to bring a tight quenched 55 cc chamber 2276 safely under 9:1 for turbo antics.

I can test them out, if it helps the cause

In 4032 those icon pistons would likely sell like hotcakes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

The much better option would be to just get some decent modern heads that come with a big proper chamber, and leave the pistons alone with a nice flat top.

Brian
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Maybe for a future build. Can you post some examples something in the 65 cc range with a fat quench - maybe a dual quench, like the factory bathtub design?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

CB CNC wedgeports come with a 67cc chamber. Its even a butterfly chamber with huge quench flats, and material around the valves exactly where it should be. I really don't think you could get a much better turbo head for VW. And for the price and what you get....They are cheap.

Even AA 500, 501, and 502 heads come with a 61cc kidney bean chamber. By the time you re-cut the seats, and un-shroud the valves, you will be real close to 65cc.

Brian
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Those CBs are pretty nice looking. I'm am though in the hot part of AZ and need ALL the cooling surface area for the heads. Has to be factory style castings with the in between intake port finnage and cooling air flow.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

sidemarkers wrote:
Those CBs are pretty nice looking. I'm am though in the hot part of AZ and need ALL the cooling surface area for the heads. Has to be factory style castings with the in between intake port finnage and cooling air flow.

Rolling Eyes

I love it when someone will discount a far superior product due to one small insignificant detail. The inside of an OE cylinder tin has a small deflector to route the air AWAY from the center area between the intake ports. I am 98% certain you would see no difference in head temps with or without the air moving through the coolest part of the head. There is plenty of meat there...You could always drill some holes if it bothered you that much.

The near perfect chamber, the large chamber volume, the super nice casting quality, and the extra weight of the casting itself will far outweigh the non-issue boxed intake ports.

Brian
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

It's an AZ thing. Please don't be bothered, it's just 35 degrees warmer here than SD at this particular moment in time.

35+ years of building/driving air cooled in this climate does affect ones outlook on all things heat related.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I love it when someone will discount a far superior product due to one small insignificant detail. The inside of an OE cylinder tin has a small deflector to route the air AWAY from the center area between the intake ports. I am 98% certain you would see no difference in head temps with or without the air moving through the coolest part of the head. There is plenty of meat there...You could always drill some holes if it bothered you that much.

The near perfect chamber, the large chamber volume, the super nice casting quality, and the extra weight of the casting itself will far outweigh the non-issue boxed intake ports.

Brian

CB 044 Wedgeport head. Chambers are 44cc on these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Limited cooling passages,

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

sidemarkers wrote:
It's an AZ thing. Please don't be bothered, it's just 35 degrees warmer here than SD at this particular moment in time.

35+ years of building/driving air cooled in this climate does affect ones outlook on all things heat related.

Don’t worry we get plenty far away from SD every summer. 3000mile road trips in a baywindow with a 2332cc. 100deg+ and 90% humidity last summer in Tennessee. Same thing the year before in the middle of Wyoming. 68-72mph for hours and hours. Heads never got over 350deg. 🤷🏼‍♂️ It does get hot in other areas of the USA.

Back to Trevor’s original topic about his great pistons......
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Pretty sure Wyoming means Center of the Sun in some language Very Happy

And props to Icon for supporting the VW community
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Brian

CB 044 Wedgeport head. Chambers are 44cc on these.

Limited cooling passages,

Drill baby drill. Very Happy
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

LETS TALK DUBS. Thank you to Bill for having me on!

I listen to the Lets talk Dubs podcast all the time love this show!

https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-246-icon-pistons-trevor-cleveland

have a listen guys!

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Congrats, Trevor!

You, me, Brian..
Wonder how many of us regulars here have been on that podcast so far now?
Think

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IC10077's are in production ... "what are they?" you may ask.. well let me tell you

IC10077-STDK1 are 94mm "C" (1.054 C/H) Pistons

Basically the same quality 4032 pistons we already make but with a much shorter compression heigh... making up to 90mm strokes more easily attainable with a dropped cam case like the TF-1 or 86mm with a standard clearance case and long rods.

Specs
94mm bore
1.054" compression height
1.2mm 1.2mm 3.0mm Ring pack w/spacer rail for oil ring.
same heavy duty .160 wall pin
anodized crown and first ring groove.
Full round design for strength and durability
M42 Coated skirts.

We will have 20 set available in roughly 2 months , sooner if I can light the fires with backorders.

SECOND MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!
IC10144-STDK1 85.5mm Forged 4032 ICON pistons

Wanna build a mighty mouse motor? Lots of boost? CLASS 11 Baja Style engine? We got you covered! and yes my internal voice sounds like a carnival shouter.... Laughing

1.5mm 1.5mm 4.0mm Ring pack with all the same features and strength all the other Icons offer.. best yet... they will be 360 grams compared to the Stock piston weight of 419-430.

These will be going into production later this week, with the same timeline as the 94c's . If I get back orders for them it will help push them through production faster.

If any of you have ANY questions feel free to reach out I do not mind. these sets will be in a similar price range as the sets we already offer, pricing is being sorted and will announce shortly.

Thank you all for your support and interest. I love being able to give back to the community with high quality parts. I hope to have pictures soon.. right now all i have are 3D models.

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Dancing Dancing
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IC10077's are in production ... "what are they?" you may ask.. well let me tell you

IC10077-STDK1 are 94mm "C" (1.054 C/H) Pistons

Basically the same quality 4032 pistons we already make but with a much shorter compression heigh... making up to 90mm strokes more easily attainable with a dropped cam case like the TF-1 or 86mm with a standard clearance case and long rods.

Specs
94mm bore
1.054" compression height
1.2mm 1.2mm 3.0mm Ring pack w/spacer rail for oil ring.
same heavy duty .160 wall pin
anodized crown and first ring groove.
Full round design for strength and durability
M42 Coated skirts.

Me likes that ring pack.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Congrats, Trevor!

You, me, Brian..
Wonder how many of us regulars here have been on that podcast so far now?
Think

Lanner...

H2OSB
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Very cool! Is there any drawbacks? like is the piston pin so far up that there is some compromises?
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: