Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICON VW pistons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Clatter wrote:
Congrats, Trevor!

You, me, Brian..
Wonder how many of us regulars here have been on that podcast so far now?
Think

Lanner...

H2OSB

Joe Cali..

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Very cool! Is there any drawbacks? like is the piston pin so far up that there is some compromises?

Mornin Jpaull,

the pin does intersect the oil groove. the only drawback that creates is that you have to install the piston on the rod before installation of the spacer, or... you install the spacer and move it to the top of the groove , install the pin and loc then move the spacer down and install the oil rings and expander. does it affect the running or reliability of the piston no... installation is just a little more involved. I've done my fair share of this on Harley's and you get used to it.
The only "compromise" I had to make other than that was really not one... going to a thinner ring pack is something most folks will appreciate.

Hope this answers your question Very Happy

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Very cool! Is there any drawbacks? like is the piston pin so far up that there is some compromises?

These "C" pistons will make a 2387cc near stock width.

New CB STD deck aluminum case, 5.7 rods, 86mm crank, and standard out of the box AA 94 cylinders, comes out to ZERO deck. Add a .040" cylinder shim, and you are set. No cylinder base clearance issues, no pistons skirts hitting counterweights, etc.

Should make for a little more interesting of a combo than a regular 2276cc, but will assemble almost the same.

88mm and 90mm stroke will start to have cam clearance issues, but the TF1 case will help that immensely.

Brian
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers, I should have worded my question better.

I already know installation benefits and drawbacks, but is there engine wear drawbacks by having the piston pin at this height? I love the idea, but 347 fords with 86mm crank, 5.4 rods, and same exact pin heights have resulted in blowby in 30k miles.

I hope they can work well, and its worth a shot anyhow, as many aircooled drivers never drive many miles.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

I could only think the long 5.7" rods will help with the side load opposed to the 5.4 rods in the 347 Ford?

The skirts on these "C's" are not much shorter than a standard AA 94B piston, they are just shaped better to clear the counterweights.

Brian
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

as Brian said there i opted to keep them relatively long so they are more stable in the bore, slipper barely comes out the bottom of the barrel. and second since these are 4032 alloy they wont have the wear that 2618 see's in a similar application. 347 strokers are notorious as you are saying for wearing out the piston... but the those piston on average are atleast in over all skirt length .500 shorter.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Sounds GOOD Very Happy
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 thank your for the extra details, makes sense, those should be a great option. Thank you for helping to bring another choice to this little group of HPVW engine builders
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
What are the choices other than AA for purchasing 92tw barrels to match up to these ICON pistons?

Thanks

On page 1 you mentioned possibly offering a better 92 and 94mm cylinder option if the boss approves. Any progress on this?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

I made these (right JE custom, left AA) for a friend with a 90mm stroke: they're 22mm compression height. It made the 2550cc engine slightly narrower than stock with 5.7" rods.

I'm doing another engine with the same dimensions, but 96mm bore, so ~2606ccs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Trevor,
Looking at total seal 2nd ring for the 94b icon.. Radial width of ring is .152"

How much clearance will your piston have on this ring in say a 3.705" cyl?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

wrist pin has to go in before the rings are installed with a C pin height piston. kind of a pain
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
wrist pin has to go in before the rings are installed with a C pin height piston. kind of a pain

You get used to it.
Cylinders onto pistons vs. pistons into cylinders.

Not ideal but certainly not painful.

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: