Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 NZ splitty, was ambulance now dormobile roof camper project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: 1966 NZ splitty, was ambulance now dormobile roof camper project Reply with quote

Hello everyone reading this in the Samba community.
I'm new to this site, I've purchased a 66 kombi here in New Zealand.
What I'm wanting to ask the community is for your view on the state of the bulkhead. Apparently the original use of this kombi was an ambulance and that may explain the bulkhead. It currently has non original seats so I'd like to know if you recognise them - maybe from a bay window? Im yet to actually get the kombi delivered but I'm told the seat(s) swivel. Maybe the bulkhead was cut to allow for the swivel seats? My guess is it was a full bulkhead that has been butchered? It has a gusset in the roof to allow for the removal of bulkhead I assume. There in no spare wheel allowance in the rear so I assume it wasn't a factory walkthrough model. Any help would be appreciated. I'm still getting my head around all the differences in type 2s. Cheers from NZ
MATT
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SISKOZ on Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Yes, it has a cut bulkhead. Those seats are from a later bus.
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Thanks Campingbox for your reply. If anyone thinks any different please let me know. Otherwise I'll be sure to order a replacement bulkhead for the restoration. Thanks
Matt
thirtyseven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Apart from the reinforcement plate at the cab separation (hurts my forehead just looking at it), it's a rather interesting hack, specially for a camper... I would hesitate between pursuing the walkthrough / swivel seat conversion (with period-correct seats) versus putting back the original bulkhead... Would question the structural integrity though, but some hacks are more relevant than others Smile

Even the color is nice on the bus, reminds me of a Sierra Yellow. Do you plan to strip it back to OG paint?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Depending on your plans, it might be useful camping wise to leave it like that.
I think late bay westys had plaid seats.

(Checks gallery)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=Swivel&search_forum%5B%5D=11

SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

thirtyseven wrote:
Apart from the reinforcement plate at the cab separation (hurts my forehead just looking at it), it's a rather interesting hack, specially for a camper... I would hesitate between pursuing the walkthrough / swivel seat conversion (with period-correct seats) versus putting back the original bulkhead... Would question the structural integrity though, but some hacks are more relevant than others Smile

Even the color is nice on the bus, reminds me of a Sierra Yellow. Do you plan to strip it back to OG paint?

Hi Thirtyseven, thanks for you reply.
Yea i hear what you're saying regarding which way to go. The appeal for the bus when I bought it a week or so ago was its camping potential. I guess walk through would be the best way to utilize camping in it....we will see how it goes whether I can keep the same, restore to standard walk through or go back to bulkhead.. Thanks for the compliment on the colour. I like it too! I actually want to keep it that yellow for now. The previous owner sprayed the side you don't see with the original colour over the yellow with a spray can so I was thinking of getting that back to the yellow. I'm not after a nicer than new restoration, I want a road worthy and usable bus that won't ruin my day if it gets a stone chip.
Regards
Matt

SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Depending on your plans, it might be useful camping wise to leave it like that.
I think late bay westys had plaid seats.

Hi Clara
Thanks for your reply.
Great to know where the seats may have come from. Leaving it that way may certainly be an option. Getting a car back on the road in New Zealand after the registration lapsing can sometimes be difficult when things have been changed from original. Not impossible but usually a certifier/engineer has to sign any changes off.
I appreciate the communities replies to help me understand more about the state of my bus.
Many thanks
Matt
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Looks like someone raided a 76 or 77 Chrome Yellow Westfalia for your front seats and perhaps other parts. As others have noted your bulkhead was hacked (not factory). That said factory 76' and 77' Westfalia's with Berlin model interior had passenger front seat which swivels, which if you are not too concerned about originality makes for a very useful addition to a camping setup (you would need to cut out the rest of the pass side bulkhead to achieve this). Am about 99% sure that seats from 76' or 77' Westy do not just slide in to split era seat mounts so they may have already made some further modifications to accept the newer seats.

Like many things best to do lots of research to weigh pro's and con's before busting out metal cutting disks. Really boils down to how important "originality" is to you etc but you do have a clean slate as it appears it has no camping interior set up. If it were me I would be sure to check out how Berlin interior is/was setup as it makes a very good use of available space even if it is not "correct" for a split era bus. Worth considering that if you do down that route your "improvements" may be someone else's hack and resale value may be impacted.

Also worth investigating "belly pans" which were often installed on buses that had rear roof member cut out to accept that style of "Dormobile" fibreglass camper roof that yours now has. The belly pans were installed to ensure that bus still had same torsional rigidity etc in spite of having rear roof member removed.

Fun project good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Edit- I missed that your bus already had the pass side bulkhead cutout. Perhaps whoever did that had the foresight to install the swivelling seat option too? If so there should be a small lever underneath the seat that you pull up to allow you to do that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Looks like someone raided a 76 or 77 Chrome Yellow Westfalia for your front seats and perhaps other parts. As others have noted your bulkhead was hacked (not factory). That said factory 76' and 77' Westfalia's with Berlin model interior had passenger front seat which swivels, which if you are not too concerned about originality makes for a very useful addition to a camping setup (you would need to cut out the rest of the pass side bulkhead to achieve this). Am about 99% sure that seats from 76' or 77' Westy do not just slide in to split era seat mounts so they may have already made some further modifications to accept the newer seats.

Like many things best to do lots of research to weigh pro's and con's before busting out metal cutting disks. Really boils down to how important "originality" is to you etc but you do have a clean slate as it appears it has no camping interior set up. If it were me I would be sure to check out how Berlin interior is/was setup as it makes a very good use of available space even if it is not "correct" for a split era bus. Worth considering that if you do down that route your "improvements" may be someone else's hack and resale value may be impacted.

Also worth investigating "belly pans" which were often installed on buses that had rear roof member cut out to accept that style of "Dormobile" fibreglass camper roof that yours now has. The belly pans were installed to ensure that bus still had same torsional rigidity etc in spite of having rear roof member removed.

Fun project good luck

Hi Velvetgreen.
Thank you for taking the time to write. There's a lot of very useful information in your message which is appreciated.
I'll be sure to check out the Berlin interiors and belly pans. I agree that a lot of weighing up and research should be done before a decision is made. Originality does have some importance to me but I'll see where I land with that. My original idea was to do my own camping interior in such a way that suited me - not necessarily a reproduction of a split or bay option...in saying that I think I'd like the original to a split front seats...but I hear what you're saying with the usefulness of the swivel seat it had. Because I haven't taken delivery yet I can't confirm if both seats swivel. My guess due to the cut bulkhead is just the passenger seat. I'll be sure to update in a few weeks when I have the bus in my garage.
Thanks again for taking the time. May be a good idea to start a thread of the process of getting my bus back on the road and fitted out to my liking...of people may be interested.
Cheers
Matt
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

NP Happy to share any info I have come across. Like most everything belly pans have pro's and con's. Pro is they add structural rigidity, Con is they are famous for trapping dirt and debris which when water gets in there expedites rusting of underside. Some people have opted to only weld in the side pans and instead bolt (an idea VW came up with in bay window era buses after formerly welding them on splits) in the middle pan for ease of inspection, maintenance etc.

Here's an idea what they look like prior to paint/installation

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

I feel like safety would also be a consideration. There’s multiple ways people add stuff to bus’…. If it were mine, I would do a fair amount of research on how the front seats are supposed to be mounted versus how the PO decided to do it.

In a head on collision, we’re all dead anyway…. but it would be nice not to fly out the front window wearing a baywindow seat for those last few seconds
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

There are some remnants of the original bulkhead there. I'd probably just add a reinforcement to the center of those two bits, and add belly pans. Most original Dormobiles had belly pans, I believe. The walkthrough is great for camping. Swivelseats, even better.

Here's what VW designed for swivelseat walkthru bulkheads. 20mm steel tubing welded to a sheet steel small bulkhead.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's contribution.
I can't believe what happened..I went to Google and entered the original number plate into the search bar and discovered an news archive called the gisborne photo news which showed my bus after being bought new by St john ambulance new zealand. Previous owner said it May have been an ambulance but wasn't sure.
Amazing to have original photos of my bus. You'll see it had rear seats and hood lining etc. I'm still yet to have my purchase delivered so haven't seen the mcode plate yet but would that suggest it's actually a micro bus not a kombi? It does say typ23 on the air box plate. Maybe a kombi with extras added. Looking forward to getting a birth certificate and reading the mcode plate.

Further to the bulkhead conversation please see cab divider in the ambulance photo below. Someone must have chopped it but kept the top part when making it a walk through . Interesting!!

Also would like to know people's thoughts on what colour it may have been?? Hard to tell from black and white photo. Also I understand it could have been specially painted for the ambulance. It was built September 1965 making it a second month 1966 (registered in nz March 1966 and this article below was from June 16th 1966 when the bus had been registered for 3 months (enough time to do the necessary ambulance fit out?)

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

That is fantastic that you found that article, and blessed by a priest no less. That said whoever hacked up your interior and binned all the ambulance specific stuff should also consider being blessed by a priest- for their sins Smile

It's a drag that Hella spotlight got tossed as too did the ambulance sliding window divider and the back seats apparently too!?! Interesting that your bus while being originally outfitted as an ambulance still retained the original back seats instead of the actual ambulance equipment (stretchers etc). I guess the ambulance patients were supposed to sit upright on their way to the hospital? Factory equipped ambulances also had the rear hatch open the opposite way from normal (hinged at bottom not top). Which way does yours open?

Anyway what is done is done, and your bus has had substantial mods since it was originally running around as a St John Ambulance. I suppose given number of previous mods you have a blank slate to make the bus the way that you want.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Here's what I was referring to regarding the rear hatch opening the opposite way from "normal"

SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
That is fantastic that you found that article, and blessed by a priest no less. That said whoever hacked up your interior and binned all the ambulance specific stuff should also consider being blessed by a priest- for their sins Smile

It's a drag that Hella spotlight got tossed as too did the ambulance sliding window divider and the back seats apparently too!?! Interesting that your bus while being originally outfitted as an ambulance still retained the original back seats instead of the actual ambulance equipment (stretchers etc). I guess the ambulance patients were supposed to sit upright on their way to the hospital? Factory equipped ambulances also had the rear hatch open the opposite way from normal (hinged at bottom not top). Which way does yours open?

Anyway what is done is done, and your bus has had substantial mods since it was originally running around as a St John Ambulance. I suppose given number of previous mods you have a blank slate to make the bus the way that you want.

Hi again Velvetgreen,
Haha I know what you mean. It pains me to think all that stuff could be sitting in a shed (or Rubbish tip) somewhere. Nature of the game though I suppose.
It's quite interesting and a real bonus that the bus was in an article. So many questions answered! Definitely different to most ambulance conversions with having the seats. In the article it writes the bus was for semi invalid patients so indeed they would have to be sitting upright!! Not sure what they would do if it was close to a serious accident and needed to shoot someone quickly to the hospital! The rear hatch opens as you'd expect so I guess there was no stretcher sliding in from the back. With the blankets and such in the rear area I'd say this bus was more for old Betty who had a wee fall and grazed her thin skin.
Exactly my thoughts regarding blank slate. Current thoughts are reinstating bulkhead and removing the forehead banging gusset piece which is left from the cab divider. Putting splitty seats back in the front then going about my business doing a camper set up in the back. Excellent to know the origins of the bus but I think it's not my dream to convert back to what it was first used for. Thanks for your interest/advice and comments. They're appreciated.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

Looking through those old grainy pictures I am not sure if the rear seat was actually from the factory. I see a metal tubular frame behind the rear seat that I have never seen before and as well the rear seat seems to be purpose built to split in two?

Anyhow you have yourself a very good starting point that is only limited by your imagination. If it were mine I might almost be tempted to try and make use of the hacked bulkhead and get a swivelling seat happening for at least the front passenger seat. Having had both a split window walkthru camper and a bay window walk thru camper, I believe the bay window setup is a better use of space. I am specifically referring to the Westfalia Berlin kit. Having that front seat swivel really makes the interior space much more usable. I am sure you will come up with a setup that works for you. Best of luck- keep us posted
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Looking through those old grainy pictures I am not sure if the rear seat was actually from the factory. I see a metal tubular frame behind the rear seat that I have never seen before and as well the rear seat seems to be purpose built to split in two?

Anyhow you have yourself a very good starting point that is only limited by your imagination. If it were mine I might almost be tempted to try and make use of the hacked bulkhead and get a swivelling seat happening for at least the front passenger seat. Having had both a split window walkthru camper and a bay window walk thru camper, I believe the bay window setup is a better use of space. I am specifically referring to the Westfalia Berlin kit. Having that front seat swivel really makes the interior space much more usable. I am sure you will come up with a setup that works for you. Best of luck- keep us posted

Great spotting Velvetgreen! I hadn't noticed that. I wonder if it were for if a patient had to lay flat they could fold half or all of that back seat flat? Hmmmm. I guess the reason for my hesitation to use as is is that it has to go through a certification process to get it back on the road, involving a panelbeater and a certifier/engineer. If theres a possibility to keep the walk through its definitely worth considering. I'll take yours and others advice about how useful that can be when it's set up as a camper. The bus is currently in transit from the north island of New Zealand to its new home in the south of the south island. Here's photos from yesterday. I'll be sure to update this thread once I get it in my garage!
Cheers

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 kombi bulkhead and seat help hacked or factory? Reply with quote

SISKOZ wrote:

May be a good idea to start a thread of the process of getting my bus back on the road and fitted out to my liking...of people may be interested.
Cheers
Matt

I think this is that thread!

You can always go up to the first post and edit the title.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: