Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Isetta EV Hot Rod Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Isetta EV Hot Rod Build Reply with quote

The E brake on the 944s is on the driver's left side next to the door. Just a suggestion...
electricolive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Isetta EV Hot Rod Build Reply with quote

Good idea to relocate the e-brake, oprn. It is likely going to want to occupy the same spot on the tunnel as the shifter - just in front of the seats. The shifter itself also has possibilities for a unique solution - planning a 2 speed gearbox by modifying the Type 1 transmission so just need a simple fwd and back shift pattern...
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Isetta EV Hot Rod Build Reply with quote

we've got to think outside the bubble - an external handbrake would introduce an extra note of individuality...it could stick up out of a slot in the side pod

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
electricolive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Isetta EV Hot Rod Build Reply with quote

External Handbrake would be fun... Did more work to see how I will fit in the car. Bought a Wilwood reverse swing pedal assembly for the clutch and brake with some compact cylinders - seems good to fit the cylinders rearward away from the suspension and the gauge cluster will mount right above them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cut a notch out of the body at the package tray and the removed most of the old seat mount on the floorpan so I could sit in the space and see how it feels.

The site lines are good with at seat back angle leaned back to 55 deg from horizontal and the top of my head is about 1" above the top of the windsheild which should be fine). But, it is not a very comfortable seating position...

Could use more legroom. 3 more inches would be ideal. Right now, the seat bottom is as far back as possible at the rear of the floorpan. I could cut the rear of the floorpan out and gain a few inches by moving the seat bottom back to the axle tube. That will be a bit of work. The easier thing would be to lengthen the wheelbase. Here is the side view at the 84.5" wheelbase that I prefer the look of.

And here is +2" - 86.5" wheelbase.

And here is +3" - 87.5" wheelbase.

Will contemplate the wheelbase while I work on other things. Will either stick with the short wheelbase or go with the +2" wheelbase and tweak the rear floorpan as necessary...
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Isetta EV Hot Rod Build Reply with quote

So you're essentially lying down in it. One thing that might make that slightly more comfortable is an added headrest/cushion that props your head up some (think F1 seating...in fact, those guys are literally lying down like astronauts with feet propped up nearly at eye-level).

On that subject, I'd strongly lean toward your notion of lengthening where necessary to add that legroom you're after while it's (relatively) easy at this point; you risk potential disappointment down the road when it turns into nuisance discomfort. I'd be very interested to see a seat mockup, it sounds real similar to what I'm doing with my Bus at the moment. I haven't measured my seat angle yet, but it's similar to a supercar ergo. I won't be turning my head much for checking blindspots, some other provisions will be in order.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Isetta EV Hot Rod Build Reply with quote

And now I see where "electric olive" comes from (or do I Think ), I just watched your doka video. Pretty slick ride there.

Seeing the Vanagon parking brake setup under your truck (specifically the equalizer underneath) gives me some more ideas as I'm also in a parking brake quandary with my highly modified Bus. I'll likely be gleaning more ideas from you as this build progresses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: