Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrSAX1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

I just got the 912e. It's in rough shape and it will probably take me a couple of years to get it to where it needs to be. It is missing the FI system completely and came with two double barrel weber 40 dcnl 5 carbs. From a quick perusal of the web it seems these came off a Maserati Ghibli and are worth $2k to 3K for the pair. My question is will these work with the 912e type 4 engine? Should I sell these and either piece together a FI kit or go with the classic 40 IDF webers?

Thanks!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

Do they have manifolds and linkage? Do you have to pass smog in your state? The classic 40's will have manifolds for your motor available so what ever is easier would be my choice.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

Be nice to know what parts are in the engine --- especially the cam. The EFI cam doesn't work well with carbs. The OEM FI wasn't designed for performance - more for emissions. I'd look at Megasquirt FI systems.
DrSAX1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

I have the manifolds but not the linkage. I think I could figure out a way to link them. Unsure about the cam, but since this engine came to me incomplete, the heads look brand new, and the case is clean and without oil, I think I’ll crack the case and see what’s what. The body work alone is going to take me a year or two so I’m in no hurry. On the 912bbs site someone recommended selling them and putting on dellortos.

The cam situation is a different matter. Is there a way to check whether the cam has the right grind for carbs or not? I have a FI web cam on my bus which I’ve really enjoyed maybe I can get a good performance carb cam from them?

Oh, and no smog in my state (IL).
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

The 912E dosn't have that much more value 100 % original or not , and to find all the bits to do so is possible, but not easy and the original engine had at best 88hp . I would of thought if you want to make something nice to drive and fun and take advantage of the 911 suspension/chassis , at least 2056cc or more with a mild performance cam, up the compression, polished heads and an ext oil cooler.
DrSAX1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

I do, I just don’t know if these webers will work for a type 4. Putting the original FI in is going to be impossible as it was a bespoke system made up of both D-jet and L-jet parts and you are right about the low performance (though I do love the L-jet in my bus). If I went FI, I was thinking about a megasquirt sort of set up. If I went for carbs I was looking for what would be the ideal setup. It does have petronix and a nice performance exhaust and fuel pressure regulator.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

Me too. I modified a porsche 914 1.8 L jetronic and fitted it to my T25 Aircooled 2.0l it had twin solexs from new but they were too worn out .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Be nice to know what parts are in the engine --- especially the cam. The EFI cam doesn't work well with carbs. The OEM FI wasn't designed for performance - more for emissions. I'd look at Megasquirt FI systems.

I believe the cam's in the 914/912E type 4s had a Porsche one grinde for all . If thats the case Porsche ran a twin carb set up in the 914 1.8L on the same cam and I don't believe the D and L jetronic being an old tech Eletro Mechanic as opposed to a modern Electronic Computer needed a over specific cam. I run an L jetronic on a CU vanagon engine and she runs so sweet with loads tourque.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

Nitramrebrab72 wrote:
Wolfgangdieter wrote:

I believe the cam's in the 914/912E type 4s had a Porsche one grinde for all . If thats the case Porsche ran a twin carb set up in the 914 1.8L on the same cam and I don't believe the D and L jetronic being an old tech Eletro Mechanic as opposed to a modern Electronic Computer needed a over specific cam. I run an L jetronic on a CU vanagon engine and she runs so sweet with loads tourque.

D-jet and L-jet do not mix. Yes you can use manifolds, plenum, throttle body and hardware from L-jet with D-jet and vice-versa.....but none of the electronic parts will trade back and forth except TS-1 and 2 sensors.

D-jet and L-jet are NOT "electromechanical". They are both fully electronic.

The only parts that can be considered mild electromechanical are the MPS for D-jet (which is still an electronic MAP sensor in final output) and the AFM in L-jet (which has a mechanical rheostat like contact).....but is still delivering a resistance based electronic signal.
Both have ECU's controling it all....but yes they are nothing lime modern.

Yes....D-jet is VERY specific about what camshaft it can operate with. Because it's fully map controlled.....it's very sensitive to changes in vacuum profile caused by any component that changes the way the engine runs.

This does not mean that the cam cannot be upgraded.....but you must choose correctly and tune to work with it.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

I would buy a new set of weber 40s and sell those, car will run fine with a new set and you could cover the price by selling those old rare ones

DrSAX1974 wrote:
I just got the 912e. It's in rough shape and it will probably take me a couple of years to get it to where it needs to be. It is missing the FI system completely and came with two double barrel weber 40 dcnl 5 carbs. From a quick perusal of the web it seems these came off a Maserati Ghibli and are worth $2k to 3K for the pair. My question is will these work with the 912e type 4 engine? Should I sell these and either piece together a FI kit or go with the classic 40 IDF webers?

Thanks!
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Nitramrebrab72 wrote:
Wolfgangdieter wrote:

D-jet and L-jet do not mix. Yes you can use manifolds, plenum, throttle body and hardware from L-jet with D-jet and vice-versa.....but none of the electronic parts will trade back and forth except TS-1 and 2 sensors.

D-jet and L-jet are NOT "electromechanical". They are both fully electronic.

The only parts that can be considered mild electromechanical are the MPS for D-jet (which is still an electronic MAP sensor in final output) and the AFM in L-jet (which has a mechanical rheostat like contact).....but is still delivering a resistance based electronic signal.
Both have ECU's controling it all....but yes they are nothing lime modern.

Yes....D-jet is VERY specific about what camshaft it can operate with. Because it's fully map controlled.....it's very sensitive to changes in vacuum profile caused by any component that changes the way the engine runs.

This does not mean that the cam cannot be upgraded.....but you must choose correctly and tune to work with it.

Ray

There is no computer chip with a pre programmed map on either the D jetronic of L jetronic. Both are controlled by mechanical movements of potentiometers by either manifold pressure variations D jetronic or air flow L jetronic. The L jetronic for example can be 're mapped' by changing the position of the potentiometer arm and/or spring not by reprogramming a computer chip with computer software this is a fully mechanical adjustment. The d jetronic injections or activated by mechanical breaker switches in the distributor and the L jetronic by a signal from the distributors points. L jetronic use the voltage created by a mechanical movement to determine the duration of the injection not a computer chip.
Yes mechanical movement that determines a voltage. Electromechanical . Do you have access to an old school dictionary. ?? Very Happy
Lowlightmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 DCNL 5 Carburetors on a 912e Reply with quote

DrSAX1974 wrote:

Thanks!

Are you looking to sell them. I’m looking to purchase a complete pair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: