Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've finally decided to address my front doors.
The vapor barrier was violated many years ago and the door cards are warped.
I wish I could find some nice ones (gray).
But if I do, I want the vapor barrier ready to protect the 'new' cards.
I bought a clear shower curtain for material.

Also decided to add the plastic Vanagon Power window switch wire pockets made by Samba power window expert "16CVs".
It has bugged me for 10 years - to feel the window brush past the switch, flexing, exercising the wires.
The door pockets will prevent that repeated stress on the wires, and also keep the connectors inside, in a drier environment.

I'll also add Kilmat sound deadening to the sheetmetal, which currently rings like a tambourine.
Outside sound of "that frequency" comes right thru the door.
My van's pretty quiet inside, I'm hoping for even more quiet.

I decided to remove the wires from the plastic connectors so I can drill smaller holes in the switch pockets.
The terminals came out easily.
It was a stroke of luck that I found a 3.9mm tube in my toybox to release the round pins.
The spade type connectors release with a small screwdriver.

Here's the door pocket partially installed.
The speaker wires come thru too.
I think it would be smarter to have them go thru their own holes and grommets and NOT crowd the window switch pockets.

OK that's enough for now, it got dark.
Tomorrow I'll finish up.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Great project that many Vanagon owners undertake at some point. Several options for replacement door cards, from DIY using the damaged ones for templates to ABS ready-to-install versions. Have you decided which you will choose?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

I know there are many great looking interiors that are not stock and use various door cards but it would be hard for me to deviate from stock. It was hard enough to install the super functional Vanaroo in the tailgate.

I believe there are aftermarket door cards that look pretty darn close to stock but it seems it's been a few years since I've seen them.

Shot just now in the woods. The dirt on the bottom of the slider is from driving w/out closing the door. I need to clean it. :/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

My preference is OEM appearance, like Jim's '90.
With dirt at the bottom of the slider.....at times.

I've never looked into changing the board.
So is it reasonable to peel the gray vinyl off the warped wood, trace the wood and glue it back on?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
My preference is OEM appearance, like Jim's '90.
With dirt at the bottom of the slider.....at times.

I've never looked into changing the board.
So is it reasonable to peel the gray vinyl off the warped wood, trace the wood and glue it back on?

Perhaps, as long as you can get the 30+ year-old adhesive to release. There are threads on this procedure in the archives. To wit:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762449&highlight=door+cards

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

I use clear vinyl sheeting to fabricate vapor barriers. I buy it by the yard at fabric stores. It was in short supply recently, supply chain challenges. But they had some at Jo Ann Fabrics. It comes in various thicknesses. I like to get vinyl a little thicker that the factory uses.

Back in the day the VW A2 and B2 chassis had a problem water intrusion from failure of the vapor barriers. Water would fling against the barrier, soak the door panel and fall over the top of the threshold to fill the footwells.

As long as the barrier is flat it is easy to do. On the T3 the speaker indent is a problem. I put a curtain on the backside of the barrier to cover the window wire aperture. I like to use 3M Window Weld to seal the vapor barrier. It is a butyl tape. Stretch it out and stick it to the door. The Japanese manufacturers use this method and they don't have a lot of leakage problems.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

I couldn’t get the speaker indent to look good.
But its “clear vinyl, and doesn’t look too wrinkly.
And hidden away.

Red Ryder wrote:
There are threads on this procedure in the archives. To wit:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762449&highlight=door+cards

Thx very much for the door card rebuild link!
==================================

And you can see my Kilmat behind.... I put 4 sheets on the passenger door.
Dang I can see thru the clear vinyl that I "missed a Kilmat spot" just ahead of the latch....

Power window switch pockets screwed down with countersink screws.
I used clear vinyl shower curtain from the department store, $9 for a large sheet.

I don't know where the clear doublestick glue tape came from, a friend gave it to me.
EDIT- gooey clear doublestick tape came from Temu.com
I really like the way it works. Its super gooey, but you stretch it hard, and it releases in a long sting of rubbbery goo that pulles off entirely.
I have no idea what it does over time, or in heat. I’ll report if ai remember to,,,,& YMMV etc.

Hitting the pulled-out screw threads with a ball-peen hammer, inverting the pulled-out cone renews screw grip.
Hot tip.... This time.....don't overtighten them. Wink

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:10 am; edited 5 times in total
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

I just use plain clear plastic sheeting and double sided carpet tape. For my speaker setup I reused he moulded plastic pocket from the original speaker and window switches, taped them into the new locations. Added the butyl rubber type sound deadening and a new neoprene foam surround for the door latch handle. Also plan to use some 1/8" neoprene to the backside of the door card.
May eventually get a pair of 16CV's really nice plastic pockets but they're kinda pricey and I've blown my upgrade money for awhile.

I don't need it for the upper speaker as I use a component system with a tweeter mounted on a flat piece of wood, crossovers mounted under the glove box and a woofer lower on the door.
The PO of my Syncro had these bump-outs made to allow a speaker to fit, I don't really like how bulky they are but it works and the damage to the door card has already been done.
Still had to cut steel and add an extra wood ring under the speaker because of the large magnet on the woofer.

Someday I would like to get new OEM style GL door cards with the cloth inserts and chrome strip (they are available) but are really expensive (about $800) Shocked

On my old Multivan I used two speakers in each door but without crossovers, the sound was not as clear as a true component system.
Instead of having a large bump-out there was just an extra ring under the lower speaker to make room for the smaller magnet of the two-way speaker.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
16CV's really nice plastic pockets but they're kinda pricey

I thought so too - but you know he’ll never make a profit on such low volume. And he’s doing it to help us all out, providing a most elegant solution to a total PITA. After 10 years of cursing the problem the price didn’t seem bad at all, especially with the quality window advice he can offer - when you need it.

Heck, Barbie Crocs cost $85 now. Crocs are a $9 foam shoe.

hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Putting a tent over the window motor is a really good idea. Those motors seize up from corrosion. keeping water out will probably help.

Late 80's Camrys had a seat belt computer under the console right under the cup holders. Toyota warrantied quite a few. They came out with a bulletin to install a factory Toyota tent over the controller if the car came in to the dealer for service.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
16CV's really nice plastic pockets but they're kinda pricey

I thought so too - but you know he’ll never make a profit on such low volume. And he’s doing it to help us all out, providing a most elegant solution to a total PITA. After 10 years of cursing the problem the price didn’t seem bad at all, especially with the quality window advice he can offer - when you need it.

How to balance rewarding initial discovery and benefit to the masses. IDK how long he's been at this and how many he has left and it is likely better than a 3D print but those seem ripe for 3D printing at only a few dollars per piece.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Sodo

Thank you for the great write up. these pockets have been a labor of love. I am happy with the outcome and they work well. I have sold quite a few sets and am hoping to break even on this at the end of the day.

My next addition are new Vapor barriers with a proper Speaker pocket in the and all of the hole pre cut. I know you can spend an afternoon and cut your own, but these are precut and fit properly.

There is a specific place these shields belong on the door to properly direct the water away.

These are close enough, but things take way longer than you think. I will be offering the pockets and shields as a kit.

The nice thing about the pockets is that they double as a vapor barrier and you do not end up Ty wrapping wires and still end up with the switches as you the window passes it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

I have not yet had a need to replace the vapor barriers on my front doors however when the day comes, I plan to use carpet protection film since it comes already applied with a light adhesive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SURFACE-SHIELDS-24-in-.../205187255
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
I have not yet had a need to replace the vapor barriers on my front doors however when the day comes, I plan to use carpet protection film since it comes already applied with a light adhesive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SURFACE-SHIELDS-24-in-.../205187255

that link didn't work for me but what I recall about that product is that it is very thin and prone to tearing

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Please watch my Video and feel free to comment. This is introducing my new product and doing an install video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tQLdpwhFk

Stacy
Samba member # 14980

Last edited by 16CVs on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tQLdpwhFk

Awesome. Gonna need to pick up a set when my OG barrier fails. Its still hanging on for dear life.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

This project is on my short list. (also repairing the passenger window regulator as you need to be able to curl a certain amount of weight before attempting to roll that window up lol). One thing I've definitely been eyeing is the OEM looking door card replacements from jbugs. Anyone have experience with these? Are they worth it? I love the original interior look, so not looking for ABS or other options that change the vibe.
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos and description. I recently completed this using 16CVs vapor barrier and pockets.

1991 Syncro purchased in Germany

On odd item though. On the driver's side I could not use the plastic pocket. There is a half-inch diameter, hollow pipe thing with a seam on the outside. Tracing my hand left and upward it seems be covered in foam on the uphill side - only thing that comes to mine is some kind of brace for the window as it slides down?

There is no such obstruction on the passenger side.

And holy cow - what a jumble of wires back there - you can tell the electric windows were and afterthought.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

I think you have a Pimax / Aftermarket regulator in the door. Where is the window motor?
Samba member # 14980
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door vapor barrier renewal, window switch pockets, Kilmat Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I think you have a Pimax / Aftermarket regulator in the door. Where is the window motor?

Ahh - that may be it. 20 years ago a new door put on as got bonked in a parking lot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: