Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion

Well…I guess it’s time to let the cat out of the bag since I did a sneak peek video short on the YouTube channel. Von Westy is receiving a Honda K24A engine conversion!

After several conversations and seeing Pchill2’s K24A swapped Syncro I knew this was a conversion path I wanted to pursue. Yes, it would be a lot of work, and perhaps not as cut & dry as some other conversions for the Vanagon platform (yet). I’m either adventurous, or a glutton for punishment.

Starting off, I acquired a running 2003 Honda Accord K24A4 engine for around $500. Seems to be in good shape, but wanted to renew the timing chain components with new OEM Honda parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There’s some debate among the Honda K24A conversion community about swapping the oil pump for the lighter weight unit. You can see what a chunk it is here in my pic. But, the one that came with the engine has balance shafts to it that should reduce vibrations, where the lighter weight units from the K24A2 engines do not.

There are some parts that are needed for the conversions, and these are fairly common with Honda K24A swaps in other vehicles. Upper coolant manifold, thermostat housing with an OEM style thermostat. A special fitting has to be added to the thermostat housing to replace the mild steel pipe on it. Other parts are Skunk2 Alpha throttle body, Acuity TPS sensor, power steering pump AN adapter.

Pchill2 and I have had several conversations about the engine mount and engine adapter kit. Kennedy Engineering built the adapter kit to pair my K24A with my Vanagon automatic transaxle. The kit includes the adapter plate, flex plate, hardware, block off plate where the Honda starter would sit, and a manual.

A while back Pchill2 delivered the engine mount system, and it’s fantastic quality! Here’s the engine mount, engine adapter kit, and exhaust kit all laid out on the table getting introduced to each other for the eventual party in the van.

Now, one of the key challenges with the conversion was deciding on an engine management system and wiring solutions. This is where my conversion has taken a left turn at Albuquerque. I decided to go with a brand new Haltech Elite 1500 ECU. That means I have to build my own wiring harness.

So…I set about creating a mock wiring harness out of nylon rope to see layouts, branching, etc.

Haltech sells a premium, unterminated wiring harness, and that is what I’ve used as the base of my wiring harness project. This kit has all the wiring, the AMP 34 and 26 connecters that will connect to the ECU already on, a fuse and relay box already fitted, and wires labeled for what they do.

I set about acquiring new connectors and tools to crimp pins on. Some of these pins and the wires are small and finicky. As is learning about the different types of wires and their roles within these new harnesses. There are wires for AVI, DPO, 12v, signal grounds, shielded cables, etc. It’s been an educational experience.

The wiring harness has 60 pins that have to be crimped for the connectors, and that’s just connections on the engine.

Every so often I pull the harness off the table and check connection fit and wiring directly on the engine.

With the engine connections completed I did a pin test with multimeter on each of the 60 pins. Out of 60, one was bad. It was a shielded cable crimp for the knock sensor. New crimp, tested, and it passed the test.

With this conversion I’m making an engine test stand first. That way I can test the wiring, the ECU and systems to make sure everything’s working as it should before pulling anything out of the van.

ETA for first engine start on the test stand is end of October.

ETA for Vanagon drivetrain removal and readying the conversion to go in is Thanksgiving weekend (late November). With everything removed I’ll replace the radiator coolant lines with stainless steel, and also fit an automatic transmission cooler (with fan) under the van.

Updates to the conversion process will be added here.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Great to see harness details.

Is downpipe to manifold design similar to this VW type with Dounut gasket, flexible joint? Image link:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1925729.jpg

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Thanks! The harness build has been quite the interesting challenge. Not only does the physical wire assigned to connectors have to be considered, but the wire's assignment for a particular function inside the Haltech NSP tuning software.

The manifold to exhaust downpipes that Pchill2 has designed is similar to the one you have in the picture. Might be slightly different flanges, but the idea is the same.

Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Watching with great interest. I'm slowly Rolling Eyes gathering parts for this swap also. I think Pchill2's mount is the way to go. What other management systems did you look at before making you choice?
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Pchill2 put a lot of thought and time in regards to the engine mount, and it shows. The construction is really great quality. He has one in his Syncro, and it's worked well.

I researched a couple of different engine management systems. I downloaded their tuning software too and played around with it as much as possible without an ECU connected. Hondata was one. Megasquirt was another. I kinda glanced at Link. Decided on Haltech.

I wanted a newly built ECU. I also wanted to have the ECU live in the same spot the Vanagon's current ECU lives. That meant building a custom wiring harness.

One item I had not considered was the type of oxygen sensor I would be using, meaning narrowband or wideband. I've decided to go with Haltech's wideband O2 controller, as it should allow some "self-tuning" capability with the ECU.

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Great write-up and pics. Following with interest!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Thanks! The harness build has been quite the interesting challenge. ........

The manifold to exhaust downpipes that Pchill2 has designed is similar to the one you have in the picture. Might be slightly different flanges, but the idea is the same.

The rope layout trick looks quite useful. Thanks. btw, if you need to build a shielded sensor cable, repurposing a shield from USB cable, or maybe a copper shield from coax, (could solder to it), might suffice.

fwiw, on my second VW I4 conversion, though it's a somewhat different exhaust design to this Honda swap (e.g. mounted via isolators to engine), using that type of "flex joint" at manifold, no exhaust system cracks in ~ 50K kms. Caveat: no super long trips with sustained hours of driving done yet.

Great to see another Honda conversion. Some years ago, I'd stared at my '04 Accord 4 cylinder thinking "it might fit". Especially in terms of the intake design vs crossover type.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Are you mating to a 3 speed automatic? if so, are you using the original VW flex plate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

I will be using the Vanagon 3-speed automatic transaxle. The Kennedy Engineering kit came with a new flex plate for the K24A crankshaft end bolt pattern and the automatic's torque converter.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

It's great to see the traction the K24 swap is getting. It seems there's at one completed and two swaps in progress in addition to Bostig's possible kit on the horizon.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the K24 works with the auto.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

The rope mock harness idea came from High Performance Academy's YouTube video on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVcUJY545c&list=WL&index=14&t=397s

Here's the size of most of the wires, pins, and the weather seal part. Over 60 pins for the engine side connections.

Used the multimeter to check all the pins, and found the issue with the knock sensor connector. It's a shielded cable, which has the outer insulation, copper shield, inner insulation, and the core copper wire. I found I'd crimped the pin to the inner insulation rather than core copper. New pin crimped correctly, and it tested correctly.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Next major milestone of the Vanagon Honda K24A conversion project. First start video of the engine in my makeshift engine test stand!

The Haltech Elite 1500 ECU arrived yesterday. Worked on the base map and configurations in the Haltech software on the PC today. This configuration is using a Haltech WB1 wideband oxygen sensor controller.

Link

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Popcorn
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Very exciting! Engine sounds healthy!
Zac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Ah yisss, another one! I, too, have chatted with Pchill about this swap, and am in the process of looking for an engine candidate!

I confess, I chuckled when I saw your race panel because Kevin James's iconic racing command from the Daytona 500 immediate played in my head. The engine sounds super good though!

Kudos on the wiring harness as well, as an extremely amateur mechanic, wiring is one of the things I find incredibly intimidating.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Popcorn

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Awesome!!
thanks for posting all the pics!
gotta reply so I get alerts.

this is same plan for my vanagon auto!
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Update on what's going on at the moment with the conversion. I'm still working with the engine on the test stand. Between work and family health issues, I've not been able to spend as much time on it as I would prefer.

With the first start video you can hear a good bit of vacuum sound. That sound is the evap and map sensor ports on top of the Skunk2 Alpha throttle body playing duty as Idle Air Control Valves. Pchill2 found some billet plugs and I've installed them. Idle dropped to 4-500rpm range, and engine would stall out.

The Skunk2 throttle body needs a K20A style Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). A K24A IACV will not bolt up to this throttle body. The way the mounting holes are it's easy to install it backwards, which is what I did.

With the mounting corrected, next issue to correct was the wiring of the IACV electrical plug. This IACV uses 3 wires, but is considered a 2-wire BAC in the Haltech software. The wire order, left to right, is 1. signal ground (black/white), 2. power, 3. control wire (green/brown stepper wire).

There's a good bit of idle control tuning in the NSP software. I'm using Evans Performance Academy to learn my way around the NSP software and how he applies settings for K24A engines.

Now the IACV will activate at cold start and start to dwindle down as coolant temp rises, which is what is supposed to happen. The current issue is that when the coolant temp reaches 171-172 degrees the IACV opens up and starts an idle surge. There may be an air pocket in the coolant system that presents when the thermostat opens.

I'll spend some time this week to try and burp air out of the coolant system to see if that brings more idle stability.

Rusted64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Following along!!!
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

A video of the idle surge would be helpful. The "coolant air bubble" idle surge is very characteristic of Hondas and easy to diagnose based on sound but there are several other types of idle surges that sound different.

The thermostat will need to be open in order to fully bleed the system. Also don't expect the bubble to be pumped out by the water pump because the pump will likely be cavitating until the air bubbles are cleared from the system.

The easiest way to bleed the system is to use a Lisle funnel fixed to the pressure cap. The funnel will need to be partially filled with coolant so the system does not pull in any additional air.

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/24780-spill-free-funnel-18-pc

Don't be scared to warm the engine past 210 F during the bleeding process. You'll need to verify that you can achieve steady coolant temperatures before moving forward with your tuning or calibration process. Keep an eye on AF ratio and knock sensor count during this process.

Here is a pretty solid writeup on trouble shooting idle issues:

https://www.k20a.org/threads/how-to-fix-your-idle-surging-dipping-sticking-bouncing-etc.220377/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: