Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Fixed the tach signal issue with the Haltech tach signal converter. Took the van out for a test drive, and the tach gauge was rock solid. No glitches.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

I test drove a very nice k24 swapped mk2 GTI recently, it was pretty darn cool, although I went in a different direction in the end. I hope you post some driving videos so we can see/hear what you've got going on silverghost, I think it's super neat.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Thanks mikemtnbike! It has certainly been quite an adventure with this conversion.

There's still some action items left (sorry, still in work mode as I'm typing this) regarding drivability. The tach gauge was one. I've got some more road tests to perform data logging to help dial in some other settings in the NSP software and tables.

Hopefully I can get a couple of videos up on the channel soon, one being a road test. Hopefully I can find my GoPro windshield mount!

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Nice, tidy work. Out of curiosity, why doesn’t the stock, Honda ECU get used?
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

The stock Honda ECU has an immobilizer built in, as well as a multiplexer that makes taking it directly out of a donor car and applying it to a conversion challenging. From my understanding some of the immobilizer components are embedded in things like the dash cluster instead of something simple like a key fob.

Hondata has an add on module that is installed inside of a OEM Honda ECU that takes care of the immobilizer, but that's a modification to electronics that are 18-20 years old, give or take.

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Thanks! Also thanks for sharing the details of your conversion.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Honda K24A Conversion Project Reply with quote

Nice to see so many items on the conversion check list crossed off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll make another punch list for the next phase of the conversion project, which will be remodeling the air conditioning system to accept R134a refrigerant. That means making new hoses, new fittings (already have an a/c compressor) new dryer and condenser, plus some wiring components.

I'm still in road test phase. This past weekend I did a 175 mile round trip, same day. It was nice to be able to run 65-75mph up in the mountains, and for once be able to pass traffic without having my foot trying to push the throttle pedal through the floorboard!

I'm working on some fuel economy improvements, which includes decel fuel cuts when lifting off the throttle. That's going to take some additional tests just for that so I can dial in when it needs to cut in and out, and make for smoother transitions between states.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: