Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

i know, i'm tilting at windmills. thing is, it takes just minutes to eliminate as a possible cause. i'm not saying it is a stuck piston, but it is so frickin' easy to check the seating depth that why wouldn't one do it if it is even a remote possibility. my last career was troubleshooting and fixing things in a radio station. it is far more time efficient to assume nothing, check every possibility, and go sequentially than to randomly try different things. two hours of sequential testing of the good advice offered here and this issue would be done. i'm frustrated but hanging in because i'm so curious as to what the final offending problem is.

as Frank Zappa said, "Who Knows?"

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

You could connect vacuum to the oil pressure port and that should prime the pump and fill the oil filter. Of course engine off. We have a vacuum pot for bleeding brakes and sucking up fluids. It uses shop air to create a vacuum. Handy tool.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
You could connect vacuum to the oil pressure port and that should prime the pump and fill the oil filter. Of course engine off. We have a vacuum pot for bleeding brakes and sucking up fluids. It uses shop air to create a vacuum. Handy tool.

Hmm this seems like a doable option to try to eliminate the pump not priming. But.....I have a new theory. Clutch blew out 270 miles from my house. I rented a two wheel tow dolly from U-Haul and towed it back the whole way with my brother's truck. Could the vibration + angle of the vehicle being on the dolly have worked the oil pickup loose?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Shop vac produces a substantial vacuum. You don't wanna coat your shopvac hose with oil though.

Here's a DIY Suction rig that doesn't get any oil inside your shopvac hose.
Probably bulkier than the one MarkWard is referring to, but it puts the refuse fluid directly into your chosen refuse jug, no mess, no transfer.

damagd wrote:
Hmm this seems like a doable option to try to eliminate the pump not priming. But.....I have a new theory. Clutch blew out 270 miles from my house. I rented a two wheel tow dolly from U-Haul and towed it back the whole way with my brother's truck. Could the vibration + angle of the vehicle being on the dolly have worked the oil pickup loose?

Angle makes no difference.
Towing is not the cause.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

Wiser heads than mine are on your case, but I still can’t help but wonder if the clutch blowup somehow caused more problems…

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

Thinking crazy here, was it in gear when you towed it? Like maybe even reverse?

Roland
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
Thinking crazy here, was it in gear when you towed it? Like maybe even reverse?

Roland

No, definitely not.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

^^crazy notion, but logical wild guess^^
I bet an engine can survive a long time spinning in reverse but not firing, no full throttle power strokes.
This has gone on long enough some wild guesses might actually help.

Had you professed marriage to one brand of oil, then strayed to another?
They say oil can be vindictive.

Did you take the pump out and look at it?
I suppose you would have posted pics,

I wonder if Marco Mansi would have some tips.
He sells that oil pump with the O-rings to reduce suction losses etc and may have another angle on this.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

Been busy and took a while to get back on this. But just connected my shop vac to the oil pressure port and only got a little trickle of oil. Barely anything. Tried it with the oil filter on and tried it with it loosened. Oil pump cover plate was on the whole time. I did switch oils over the summer from what the previous owner had been using. Switched to Castrol GTX 20w50 from the Mobil 1 full synthetic 15w50 that the po had been using. But ran a couple of thousand miles with no problems until I replaced the clutch.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

Was the engine baking hot when totaling the clutch?

Did the old oil look normal? Does the new oil look normal? Was it overfilled?

You might consider draining the oil and doing the auto tranny oil trick — I’ve never done but others have and it works — or other method to cleanse all the galleys.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Was the engine baking hot when totaling the clutch?

No. It was probably warmer than normal, just because I was idling in traffic for so long, but not alarmingly hot.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

Sorry, I edited, you might read my post again…

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

damagd wrote:
Been busy and took a while to get back on this. But just connected my shop vac to the oil pressure port and only got a little trickle of oil.

that's normal, it's a small port. did you try cranking while the vacuum was on? or after you applied suction?

www.thefixitworkshop.com
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
damagd wrote:
Been busy and took a while to get back on this. But just connected my shop vac to the oil pressure port and only got a little trickle of oil.

that's normal, it's a small port. did you try cranking while the vacuum was on? or after you applied suction?

I only cranked by hand. I can try to get it going faster by turning the key.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

Back on this after a long break......Cranked with the key and a vacuum attached to the oil sensor. Nothing happened. I do get a small stream of oil dripping from the pump when I crank by hand with the cover removed. Took the gears out of the oil pump and blew a hose into the side port of the oil pump. Could definitely hear it gurgling. Reinstalled the gears and packed it full of vasoline and cranked with the key. A sliver of vasoline came out of the filter hole, but no oil. I think I'm pretty much at the end of the line and am resolved to pulling the engine and splitting the case. Pretty sure that the pickup must have become dislodged or clogged up. Unless there are any other suggestions? I did make an appointment with a local VW mechanic in a couple of weeks, but not sure that there's even much point in taking it there.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

damagd wrote:
Took the gears out of the oil pump and blew a hose into the side port of the oil pump. Could definitely hear it gurgling.

put a hose into that same pickup port tightly with no air leak and suck on it with your mouth. if you just draw air, then yeah, split the case. hopefully you'll get a mouthful of oil!! if you can seal the hose tight enough, your mouth will give you a very good idea of the state of the pickup tube seal. please take pictures!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
damagd wrote:
Took the gears out of the oil pump and blew a hose into the side port of the oil pump. Could definitely hear it gurgling.

put a hose into that same pickup port tightly with no air leak and suck on it with your mouth. if you just draw air, then yeah, split the case. hopefully you'll get a mouthful of oil!! if you can seal the hose tight enough, your mouth will give you a very good idea of the state of the pickup tube seal. please take pictures!

Ummm....I think I'll just use a vacuum lol.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

damagd wrote:
Ummm....I think I'll just use a vacuum lol.

just use a clear hose and you'll see oil traveling up in it. i suggest using your mouth because it will give you feedback on how large the air leak is, if any. very hard to measure that with any meaning from a machine. you KNOW what it takes to draw liquid up a long straw! if you don't, stick the end of the hose in a quart of oil held about a 2 feet below your mouth and try it. it's all about getting feedback on trying to draw oil up the tube.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

Finally warm enough out to really start working on this. Would like to get it going by mid-May. Tried sucking through the oil pump port hole and couldn't really get anything going. Since the gears of the oil pump spin freely and seem to be working fine I have to assume it's something internal and will have to pull the engine to split the case. One thought I had before I do that though, what about an inspection camera to stick up the oil drain hole or port hole? Would I be able to see what is going on from those vantage points?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced the clutch, blew up the engine? - NO oil pressure Reply with quote

damagd wrote:
Tried sucking through the oil pump port hole and couldn't really get anything going.

Your description of this test result is either conclusive or not.
Can you describe the results of your DanHoug test in different terms?
More detail?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: