Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel - turn signal gap
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfizio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

Any ideas on why I have a large gap between my turn signal and steering wheel? The set screw holding the turn signal is at the edge of steering column so it cannot slide forward further. The wheel is seated as far back as it will go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spudleydoright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

deleted my comment.... double post got me!
chuckkeeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

Hi. I have the same thing on my project. Did you find the solution?
Mybe a collar of some sort. Thanks.

Never mind. Saw your duplicate post. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

Is this a new problem?

What did you change?

Do you have the/any previous parts to measure? That is how you narrow-down and isolate your problem, you trace it back to the root cause from when the problem first arose.
Albiebac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

On my 1964 (without locking ignition switch), it's a simple adjustment. Loosen steering column clamp (two nuts) and slide up.
I imagine yours would be similar with loosening the locking ignition switch to free the steering column and pull up.
The wear mark on the steering column where the wire harness goes to the dash would suggest it's been like this for a long time. Is the steering wheel a replacement? That would be another explanation.
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

Answered in duplicate thread.
wdfifteen wrote:
Loosen the clamp holding the steering column to the body and pull the steering column out toward the steering wheel.

Link to duplicate thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785393&highlight=

chuckkeeler wrote:
…Never mind. Saw your duplicate post. Thanks

It is imperative, if not just plain polite to post a link to your findings, as to keep others from spinning their wheels on the subject. Very Happy

Type 3
1968 Squareback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty weak, OP @sfizio shoulda terminated this thread, got his response and moved on.
sfizio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel - turn signal gap Reply with quote

For some reason, this is a duplicate post. Search out the original. I got excellent advice which solved the problem. It’s worth reading if you have the same issue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: