Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: 411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror Reply with quote

Hi guys,

The plastic internal sun visors on my 1969 411 are fine without any tears etc but the internal "stuffing" is all dry and broken down and subsequently, whilst they work, I would like to find a better set if possible.

Firstly, are these available for anywhere or am I able to fit some from another model vehicle etc?

My internal rear view plastic covering is also breaking down and I would like to replace it also.

Cheers and thanks for your help

Regards
Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror Reply with quote

Some infor in the am. They are essentially type 3 visors but have slightly different angled mounting ends. You can modify them. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror Reply with quote

Hi Ray

I thought they were similar and checked the difference in the arm but decided it wouldn’t work.

Hmmm, I have another look.

Any idea about the rear view mirror?

Cheers
Greg
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror Reply with quote

Maybe look at a Porsche 914 rear view mirror to see if it would work?
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror Reply with quote

Thanks Ray

I’ll have a look.

Cheers
Greg
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror Reply with quote

lateral wrote:
Hi Ray

I thought they were similar and checked the difference in the arm but decided it wouldn’t work.

Hmmm, I have another look.

Any idea about the rear view mirror?

Cheers
Greg

So, the type 3 part # for the rearview mirror 1971-73 is 311 857 507C

https://vwispwest.com/71-73-notchback-fastback-squareback-rear-view-mirror-311857507c/

The 411/412 mirror 411 857 511 A or B. The B is listed for all models as safety mirror.

The typ 3 and 4 are really similar but would have to see the back of the type 3 to see if it mounts the same.

This is how the type 4 mirror mounts:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/news/rear-view-mirror-857-511-113l-23927a.html

In fact these look really similar. It may be worth asking in the type 1 forum if someone can measure the spades on the back of a type 1 or on the type 3 forum for the same answer.

Here are some pictures of type 4 mirror.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the actual mounting pad is a little more square than a type 3 or type 1 but the mounting stake looks very similar.

Are you missing yours entirely or are you just looking for a better one. This is one of my spares. The glass has corrosion showing through. I think it could probably be replaced with a little heating of the plastic rim.

I could probably spare this one if you need it. Ray
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 (1969) Plastic internal Sunvisors and rear vision mirror Reply with quote

Hi Ray

Thanks for looking into this further for me.

Mine is fine apart from the plastic covering being brittle.

I just looking for some easy way to replace if it I can find a new one that can fit.

I’ll have a closer look at the Type 3 mirrors as I think I may have one in my parts stash.

Oh, thanks for your offer as well.

I’ll report back when I have additional information.

Cheers
Greg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: