Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's got the earliest Mango out there?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Hey all......

So 1958 was the early Mango. Ribbed bumpers, 1yr only Flat decklid, high tail lights, were all signs of an early Mango....

Has anyone actually looked into the VIN numbers to see how early theirs is?

Be interesting to see who has the earliest Mango!

Cheers all.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Sooty Sooty wrote:
Hey all......

So 1958 was the early Mango. Ribbed bumpers, 1yr only Flat decklid, high tail lights, were all signs of an early Mango....

Cheers all.

The lipped decklid showed up in mid 1958 model year, months before mango production. All mango buses have lipped decklids.

Mango green was introduced in August 1958 for the '59 model year.

I would be interested to know what the oldest mango bus is. Early August 1958 I would assume.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Hey all......

Cheers all.

The lipped decklid showed up in mid 1958 model year, months before mango production. All mango buses have lipped decklids.

I would be interested to know what the oldest mango bus is. Early August 1958 I would assume.

A flat decklid is different to a lipped lid no?. Basically a 57 with centre brake light but no centre brake light?. They changed sometime late 58 early 59 to lipped? I may be confused.

Last edited by Sooty Sooty on Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Sooty Sooty wrote:
Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Hey all......

Cheers all.

A flat decklid is different to a lipped lid. Basically a 57 with centre brake light but no centre brake light. They changed sometime late 58 early 59 to lipped.
The flat lid was introduced in mid '57 model year and used through mid '58 model year, I am very familiar with it and have owned many flat lid buses. There are plenty of PGSG buses with original lipped decklids. All mango buses left the factory with lipped decklids. The change was months before the color change.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Hey all......

Cheers all.

A flat decklid is different to a lipped lid. Basically a 57 with centre brake light but no centre brake light. They changed sometime late 58 early 59 to lipped.
The flat lid was introduced in mid '57 model year and used through mid '58 model year, I am very familiar with it and have owned many flat lid buses. There are plenty of PGSG buses with original lipped decklids. All mango buses left the factory with lipped decklids. The change was months before the color change.

Thank you. Cleared that up for me. I have a very early Mango with a flat lid.
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Well, here is a start... mine is 378575, which is Aug. 13, 1958
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

staceyz wrote:

Wow!

Off to look at your posts to have a look!
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Sooty Sooty wrote:
I have a very early Mango with a flat lid.

Must not be original to the bus or an original paint part…
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Sooty Sooty wrote:
Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Hey all......

Cheers all.

I think youve missed the point. There are no mangos with flat decklids originally. So i doubt you have one and will be astonished if you post a pic and prove me wrong.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

This is supposedly a July 58 by 65Nsqback but not sure of the chassis number and of course it is decklidless..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

House wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
I have a very early Mango with a flat lid.

Must not be original to the bus or an original paint part…

Nope. Must have been swapped a long time ago as the patina matches the bus which is cool.
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Lind wrote:
Sooty Sooty wrote:
Hey all......

Cheers all.

I think youve missed the point. There are no mangos with flat decklids originally. So i doubt you have one and will be astonished if you post a pic and prove me wrong.

No point missed.

I have an early Mango with flat lid. It must have been swapped years ago as the patina matches the bus. I never said it was original. Hence my earlier questions and me saying “thanks for clearing that up”.
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

House wrote:
This is supposedly a July 58 by 65Nsqback but not sure of the chassis number and of course it is decklidless..

I’ll try find out. Thank you
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

there are at least two pressed bumper aussie mangoes but Ill leave it for the owners to pipe up here re build dates
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

House wrote:

Just looked through his posts and sent him a PM.

Can’t find anything apart from Vin numbers being cut out of his bus. Shocked Shocked
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

staceyz wrote:

I owned this August, 58' built mango Vin#3779XX

If we need to narrow it down further, I will ask the current owner if they care if I post the whole vin.

I know there is at least one earlier I have seen, I'm sure there are others.

Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
staceyz wrote:

I owned this August, 58' built mango Vin#3779XX

If we need to narrow it down further, I will ask the current owner if they care if I post the whole vin.

I know there is at least one earlier I have seen, I'm sure there are others.

Don’t think last 2 will be needed. It would be a miracle if we found 2 mangos that close together.
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

staceyz wrote:

Is that from a birth certificate? If so that throws out numbers massively.

According to sources (rough exact days) 378575 production number should be August 28th.

379407 being the last production number in August 31st.
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

So I’m probably way out here but just as a rough guide on dates.

July 31st 1958 production ended with Vin 371275.
Aug 31st 1958 production ended with Vin 379407.

So 8,132 were produced in those 31 days

So 387 a day.

So Vin number 378575 comes out roughly August 28th

End of August 27th was 378349
End of August 28th was 378611.

August 13th comes out at 374681

If it is from a birth certificate then numbers don’t match on info given across various sources.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got the earliest Mango out there? Reply with quote

Sooty Sooty wrote:
So I’m probably way out here but just as a rough guide on dates.

July 31st 1958 production ended with Vin 371275.
Aug 31st 1958 production ended with Vin 379407.

So 8,132 were produced in those 31 days

So 387 a day.

So Vin number 378575 comes out roughly August 28th

End of August 27th was 378349
End of August 28th was 378611.

August 13th comes out at 374681

If it is from a birth certificate then numbers don’t match on info given across various sources.

August is a weird month to go by for counting by days. Especially in 1958. Factory shut downs, new options/colours added etc. So it could be a short/limited month of production. Plus mcode date is planned production date and could be some variability there. All to say there is wiggle room in info sources.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: