Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
summerof78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

This thing is like a time capsule. Filled with artifacts from the early to mid-70s. PO walked away from it, never to return.

The engine looks like it was showered in oil, and never cleaned up. It's all down the apron and all over the underside of the deck lid.

Looking for some educated guesses as to what caused this. Keep in mind, this is my first VW, and I am not a mechanic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

Is the motor seized? Can you put a wrench on the pulley nut and turn it by hand?
Apostle_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

That should clean up nicely. Good find!
summerof78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Is the motor seized? Can you put a wrench on the pulley nut and turn it by hand?

Sorry, should have mentioned that. Unbelievably, it turns by hand. Oil is still in the crankcase, but just enough to register on the low end of the dipstick.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

All that oil might have help preserve what looks like a wonderfully original engine. I bet that thing will start up with little effort. Once you know it’s running you can start tinkering with it. Oil change, adjust valves, cap, rotor, points, clean out fuel lines, etc. Once it runs, move on to brakes. Not super cheap exactly, but you can do it in intervals.
If you get a Bentley manual (eBay, samba.com) you could probably do it yourself (or with a friend).
Cool find!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

Replace all rubber fuel lines (including under the tank and next to the tranny, before you even crank it!
summerof78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Replace all rubber fuel lines (including under the tank and next to the tranny, before you even crank it!

No worries there. Just about anything that isn't some type of metal or glass is going to have to be replaced. I am hoping a good portion of the electrical system can be salvaged. I don't mind keeping it 6 volt for now.

Amazingly, as of this writing, I believe I won't have to replace the pans or channels. It was kept extremely dry. There will be surface rust to deal with of course.
summerof78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:
All that oil might have help preserve what looks like a wonderfully original engine. I bet that thing will start up with little effort. Once you know it’s running you can start tinkering with it. Oil change, adjust valves, cap, rotor, points, clean out fuel lines, etc. Once it runs, move on to brakes. Not super cheap exactly, but you can do it in intervals.
If you get a Bentley manual (eBay, samba.com) you could probably do it yourself (or with a friend).
Cool find!

I know there are a number of different books for the DIYer. Do you consider the Bentley the best one to start with?

btw, your '66 is outstanding.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

The Bentley manual IMO is a must have for the home mechanic. It contains all the procedures and specifications for your year vw.

As stated above, the Muir Idiot book is a good guide as well. Plus it's a fun read.
I prefer the older Muir books, as I don't care for the later books that cover watercooled models.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The Bentley manual IMO is a must have for the home mechanic. It contains all the procedures and specifications for your year vw.

As stated above, the Muir Idiot book is a good guide as well. Plus it's a fun read.
I prefer the older Muir books, as I don't care for the later books that cover watercooled models.

Yes, the sweet spot is about the '72 spiral bound edition. They come up used.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

summerof78 wrote:
rcroane wrote:

Sorry, should have mentioned that. Unbelievably, it turns by hand. Oil is still in the crankcase, but just enough to register on the low end of the dipstick.

My 61 still has the original engine that sat since 1979. It still turned and fired up with no trouble. somehow I believe that old waxy, sludgy oil from the 60s and 70s preserved the inside from moisture taking over.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
summerof78 wrote:
rcroane wrote:

My 61 still has the original engine that sat since 1979. It still turned and fired up with no trouble. somehow I believe that old waxy, sludgy oil from the 60s and 70s preserved the inside from moisture taking over.

Agreed. My 58 sat from 72 til 94, and after changing all the vitals, ran like a top.
Its the original 36er, and to this day has never let me down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:

Homemade Cosmoline? Laughing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

As long as the preserving layer of oil wasn't from the big holes in the top of the the case from the thrown rod... Embarassed

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
summerof78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:

I decided to pull the plug today. Slow as molasses. It took a few seconds for it to decide to start flowing, but eventually a tiny little strand started.

Eventually several strands would flow, but all very thin and in no hurry.

This was more than two hours ago and I'll bet it's still not finished.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

+1000 on that!!

One morning a few weeks after I bought my '65 I went out and saw an oil slick under the car. The fuel line under the tank had basically dissolved after 50 years and let all the gas out of the tank. Lucky for me it happened in the middle of the night while I was asleep and the car was NOT in the garage.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

summerof78 wrote:

I decided to pull the plug today. Slow as molasses. It took a few seconds for it to decide to start flowing, but eventually a tiny little strand started.

It wouldn't hurt to put the plug back in, put some diesel fuel in the crankcase, and slosh it around (rock the car from side to side). Let it sit over night, drain it, and refill with the cheapest oil you can find. Slosh it again, drain it, and refill with good 15w-40.
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

The oil cooler seals might be shot causing the oil leak.
summerof78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
summerof78 wrote:

It wouldn't hurt to put the plug back in, put some diesel fuel in the crankcase, and slosh it around (rock the car from side to side). Let it sit over night, drain it, and refill with the cheapest oil you can find. Slosh it again, drain it, and refill with good 15w-40.

Will diesel break down the hardened, waxy oil that is caked in the oil fill, air cleaner, etc?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ruby Red Sedan Restoration - Sat for 47 years Reply with quote

Yeah, diesel or kerosene will help clean it up, but there's no easy/quick/mess-free way to clean up an engine. Lots of hand scrubbing!
Take a peek down the cylinder tins and fan shroud and make sure you don't have any mouse or squirrel gifts. That will cook an engine pretty fast. The oil everywhere might be from oil cooler seals, oil pressure switch, or the rear pulley from excess blowby. If you get a good compression check on the cylinders and don't find any obvious external leaks I'd just clean it up and enjoy it Smile

Congratulations on the find!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: