Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear quarter welding-caused warp
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jclayc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

I have a 63 beetle where I welded in a new lower part of the driver’s b pillar. That went ok but it appears that, when I did it, it ended up warping the flat part of the lower rear quarter panel.

I’ve read that the solution is to hammer out the weld so it un-shrinks the metal and stops the puckering but I can’t really get a dolly behind where the pillar meets the quarter panel to do so. I’ve tried working the low spots just like normal low spots but that seems to just chase the high/low spots around.

I guess cutting the inner part of the quarter panel where the door card snaps in (and welding it back in afterward) might give me some room… or should I just stop obsessing over it and skim some filler in there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

Stop obsessing and skim it Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

If the high spots are too high, get a shrinking disc and learn how to use it.
jclayc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

I thought about the shrinking disc but the issue was caused purely by welding…. Which shrank the metal. You don’t get rid of shrinking by more shrinking right? (Even though I agree my first thought was to shrink that high spot in the middle of the dips)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

Curved block of wood and a pry bar from the inside. Take the window out. Reach through the window with one hand and push on the prybar. With the other hand, take a hammer and strike the panel as needed. The high spots!

Once close, filler to finish.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

I had this exact problem but on the front quarter panel near the fuel filler door. Didn't matter how careful I was welding and cooling in between you still get the dreaded valley where you weld.

I purchased a heavy panel beating spoon that would slip in behind the cavity and give me the ability to pry the panel out and also act as a dolly. The heavier the better.

I bought one locally in Australia but there are plenty of curved spoon dollies available in the US. This one suited the narrow cavity between the outer and inner skins.

https://metalmantools.com.au/product/double-blade-spoon-410mm-long/

Here's one from Eastwood that might do the job. There are plenty of other ones around I'm sure. Of course you can improvise as VW_Jimbo says ands use a pry bar and wood.

https://www.eastwood.com/double-end-s-spoon-nv.html
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

Here is the link to my thread on one of the replacements I did. I welded it with a torch. I did cut an access in the inner structure so I could work the welds with a hammer and dolly. Had to use my homemade shrinking disc when I got a little overzealous with the hammer and dolly. When finished, I just used my mig to weld the inner access panel back in.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324503&highlight=

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

You shrink by heating the metal and then rapidly cooling it, I use compressed air others use a wet rag.
I use a stud puller to shrink as it’s more pin point than a disc. Just heat a spot cherry red then blast with compressed air. Works great.
Unless you have hours to expend AND have the skills to beat a 60 year old beat up panel perfectly flat, you will have to fill. I’d say 99.9999 percent of restorations use filler.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I use a stud puller to shrink as it’s more pin point than a disc. Just heat a spot cherry red then blast with compressed air. Works great.

Are you saying you use the stud puller without a stud and just heat up the spot? Didn't know you could do that.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

I believe that is what he is saying.

To elaborate a bit on what is actually happening during the shrinking process:

It isn't the heating, then rapidly applying cold that is causing the shrink. In fact, applying a wet rag to what was once red hot metal is hardening the area you want to shrink. A rag can be applied, but it is standard practice to allow the spot to cool to where you can just about put your hand on it.

Here is what is actually happening while shrinking: Using a torch, a small area is heated to a point where is becomes near molten. It doesn't necessarily have to be red hot. Heat causes metal to expand and you can see the area rising up like a bubble, proud of the surface. The area surrounding the heated spot is not expanding at the same rate, thereby trapping the molten metal. When the area surrounding area or the heated area is tapped down, the molecules push into one another as they have nowhere to go, which makes the heated portion of the panel thicker. This provides a "shrink". It can make the panel ugly, but that can be planished out.

This is the same thing that is happening when a panel is welded in. The panel fits perfect, perfect gaps, then once welded, the panel tightens up on the weld. If the fit was good prior to welding, only working the weld and heat affected zone should get you back to where the panel is straight again.

Its a fundamental technique to understand if your doing this kind of work.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear quarter welding-caused warp Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Are you saying you use the stud puller without a stud and just heat up the spot? Didn't know you could do that.

Yes, no stud. I just heat and then blast with compressed air. You can also heat a spot, hit it with a hammer and then use a dolly and hammer to move the metal toward the center. But you can’t always get a dolly behind a dented area which is why the compressed air works.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: