Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires to replace Yokohama AVS 195/50 x 15 for a 914
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Tires to replace Yokohama AVS 195/50 x 15 for a 914 Reply with quote

My Yokohama AVS 195/50 x 15 tires are pretty much done, lasted about 12 years, but I dont think they are made anymore. This is for a lowered 914 street driven car on 4 lug Fuch rims. I enjoy the quick corners and curvery roads with these AVS tires. I love they way they stick and hang on curves. I dont want a down grade. I have owned two sets of AVS on this car over some 20 plus years.
These tires have been great, very great handling, my 914 is lowered, stiff springs, fat sway bar, and such.
I want to get a comparable new set of tires, like the old AVS, and I want a tire like the AVS that can last a decade or so with no side wall cracking (I have other cars with off brand tires that got sidewall cracks very quickly, so no junk tires please)
what is the thing these days for tires to replace the AVS tires?
I see many brands, any that are great, any to avoid?
Thanks!
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires to replace Yokohama AVS 195/50 x 15 for a 914 Reply with quote

195/50 is a popular size to find in summer and sticky track day compounds.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires to replace Yokohama AVS 195/50 x 15 for a 914 Reply with quote

I was in the tire shop this afternoon reading Samba while waiting on some balancing.. and asked the guru behind the counter
His recommendation is the Yokohama ADVAN V701
He also said your old tires were probably nowhere near as sticky the last 5-6 years, supposedly the old tread compounds lose a lot of the stickiness after 5 years
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires to replace Yokohama AVS 195/50 x 15 for a 914 Reply with quote

Sticky tires are sticky for about 5 years, then they just get harder and harder due to heat cycling and age. The last 3 years I raced on Yokohama 008Rs were horrible but I couldn't afford a months wages to buy a new set. I went to used Formula Ford qualifying slicks and never looked back.

Lots of guys I autocrossed with are still racing and most are running Advans, and some are running Nankang CR-S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: