Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Super Beetle fuel pump
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle fuel pump Reply with quote

That H30/31 shouldn't work very well with the 034. Some people have reported success but the vacuum on it is best used with the SVA such as 113 905 205 K/T/M. A 34 PICT 3 would be much better. You'll probably want to set the idle with the vacuum canister off and plugged with RPM at or below 1,000 RPM.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)

Last edited by heimlich on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:17 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mauro I
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 super beetle idling issues Reply with quote

Hi, spent some time working on the car again today. I checked there's definitely no air leaks on the carb, the timing is correct, points are correct, I've tuned and re-tuned, the fuel filter is constantly full of fuel and the fuel pressure is constantly at 3psi. Yet once the engine has warmed up and the choke is open the engine will stall. Had the car a couple of years never done this before, why now, what's changed?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle fuel pump Reply with quote

You changed something. Something wore out. Something got clogged. something damaged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle fuel pump Reply with quote

Is your 73 Super a UK spec vehicle? If so does it have the 1300 dual port motor or the 1600 dual port motor? I know after 51 years or so, who knows what motor could be fitted or indeed the 1300 dual port could have been rebuilt into a 1600. That carb could however be a correct replacement for a 1300 dual port, correct? And then what distributor would the 1300 dual port have? Maybe a mismatched carb and distributor with a larger engine.

Is your heat riser fully clear and not clogged with debris? Carb icing can cause the engine to stall after the choke goes off. And you did blow out the steel fuel line? Again just trying the eliminate all the possible issues.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle fuel pump Reply with quote

For clarity, your can run either an SVA or SVDA like the 034 in your picture with the smaller H30/31 carb. That carb has a port for ported vacuum for the SVA and a port for ported vacuum for the SVDA or DVDA distributor. The SVA only needs like 80mm hg of ported vacuum where the SVDA needs 200mm hg. So, you need to plug into the right port depending on what distributor you run.

If your engine stalls when the choke opens, you likely have something clogging an idle circuit. That's a classic symptom with the bigger 34-3 carb. They'll idle on choke and then die when the choke opens.

You may pull the carb back apart and double, triple check all the passages are clear in that carb.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle fuel pump Reply with quote

On the H30/31 there are the following ports and what they are commonly used for. They are all different so make sure you are using the correct one.

SVA Distributor
    DVDA Distributor
    Autostick
    SVDA Distributor

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: