Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine and trans id?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastbacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

I recently bought this 1.7 type 4 engine and automatic from someone who had no idea what they were out of. I’m curious what they came out of and if they came from the same vehicle. The trans has 90mm cv cups.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

Well, I can't read the engine code in the last picture.

But, from the tailcone mounting and the oil dip stick location and oil breather type it was in either a 411 or 412 wagon.

Are you sure the transmission had 90mm CV cups....or was it 91mm?

The type 3 used the same transmission. In fact the automatic in the type 4 cars IS a 003 from the type 3 cars. The type 3 used a 91mm CV joint.

It should fit the same shaft spline as the stock type 4 shaft IIRC.

So....your choices are that this engine was in a 411/412 and they broke the original transmission and the donor car was a type 3.

Or, the car was a type 3 and they converted it to a type 4 engine...also not uncommon.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastbacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

The cv’s could easily be 91mm as I was measuring w a tape measure 😎
fastbacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

fastbacker wrote:

Yes, certainly out of a 411/412 wagon as Ray mentioned. Too bad the engine numbers are hard to read.

In the second photo there is a welded on modification to the rear transverse engine carrier on each end. That is not stock. Someone obviously had this in another vehicle? Just wondering what the intention was? I see a head temp. sensor wire so this engine was fuel injected. Were the dual carbs that are pictured assembled on the engine when you got it?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

He reposted this over in the bay bus forum.

I went a little deeper in depth there, but he mentioned that he thinks it may have been for the chassis frame of a baja and I think he is either right....or....it can very well be that it was in a VW trike which many of use the same kind of cage around the engine.

The 003 autos are rarely favorable in a baja but are certainly popular in VW powered trikes and there are quite a few that are type 4.

I think I went further to state that unless we know the transmission letter code, we don't know whether it started out type 4 with 100mm hubs and was swapped to 90mm type 3 (easy on this late model 003) or if it started out with 90mm hubs from a type 3.

Ray
fastbacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

None of those are your transmission number. Those are just cast in part numbers for the part they are on.

Look around down on the lower sides of the transmission for a "STAMPED" number and letter code.
I will look in my Bentley manual tonight and see if there is a picture of where the numbers are.

Ray
fastbacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and trans id? Reply with quote

Alright! Very Happy

The EB series!
The "without Guesswork" book says:

That transmission started out in a type 3 car...1600cc engine. It has a valve body marking of "B" and started at number 0 117 822.

It has a final drive gear ratio of 9:33...meaning.... 3.67:1 final drive.

These are really nice transmission to have with type 4 motors because they have a really high final drive ratio....meaning....at highway speed they have a lower rpm to reach their best HP and torque. This was good for fuel injected type 3...but even better for say....a fuel injected type 4 that has roughly 20hp more than a type 3.

When these transmissions are properly adjusted (bands and main pressure setting)...they drive almost like a modern car. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: