Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eccentricity may not be dying out
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

in a world where your peers are hooked on social media dare to be different...(read in that deep film voiceover style)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgpjpr35nko

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

I read that article yesterday and forwarded it to several folks. I like that kid! His MO reminds me of Seth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_(cartoonist)

In a generally crummy world I can't help but feel fond of folks who engage as little as possible with the crumminess.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

finster wrote:
in a world where your peers are hooked on social media dare to be different...(read in that deep film voiceover style)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgpjpr35nko

Rather inspirational.
I believe I shall go for a spin in my antique German auto now.
Toodles.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

I also have a 1940s bakelite telephone in use. But I'm embarrassed to admit that I use my cordless more often. Embarassed

(Still have never owned a cell phone)

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

A great story and many of us here cling to the past, we drive those VWs huh?
Somewhere along the line I gravitated to antiques of all sorts. But at the same time I’m happy with an iPhone if I were traveling through the Mohave Desert in summer. If I needed a complex medical procedure I’d go with the most competent up to date practice rather than even 20 years ago. One or two here may remember Accutron watch from 1960s it used a tuning fork to regulate the time rather than mechanical. They got it down to + or - 2 seconds a week. If you look it up pay attention to the Spaceview or Astronaut. This is just another antique collector type rabbit hole to go down. I dig all that vintage stuff but couldn’t confine myself to a decade or even century. Got a Grandfather clock from early 1800s. Another rabbit hole here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

Electricity is dying out!!!!! Shocked ....we still got it here!

Laughing couldn't resist!

I like old items....things....some simple(like old writing instruments) and some complex like my VW 412 and my baseline late 30s Monophone dial phone.

I like them because as a designer myself....a lot of these everyday consumer products were better thought out for feel, made very robustly (for the materials of the day) and I like preserving history.

Do not even get me started on my small collection of fine vintage mechanical pencils some of which are fully automatic.

Like this one for instance of which I have two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305117825701?hash=item470...R_bLoJWLYw

The fit, finish, weight, feel and operation is like nothing else. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

Reminds me of Screech, Every single high school has the dummy that wears the hat and wants to be different.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

"Screech" is a beverage found in Newfoundland Canada that is only one step up from moonshine!

We have a love for old things too. We have 2 pump organs and a player piano, several oil lamps and 1 gas lamp. Then there is my model airplane engine collection with engines from the early '50's up to the late '90's. I have a few wrenches and wood working tools from my grandfather's day.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
"Screech" is a beverage found in Newfoundland Canada that is only one step up from moonshine!

We have a love for old things too. We have 2 pump organs and a player piano, several oil lamps and 1 gas lamp. Then there is my model airplane engine collection with engines from the early '50's up to the late '90's. I have a few wrenches and wood working tools from my grandfather's day.

You can upgrade to a Hammond A100 or two when I clean out my garage. Cool

Motorhead joke:

All my cams are eccentric. Laughing

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
oprn wrote:

Are those left over from your days filling in for Booker T. Jones when he couldn't tour? Confused
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:
oprn wrote:

Are those left over from your days filling in for Booker T. Jones when he couldn't tour? Confused

You're just jealous.

Old Hammonds are like old VWs. If you have space in your garage and someone is "getting rid of one", you just gotta drag it home.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

A good friend of ours did that, then he downsized and my brother got the Hammond, replaced a few tubes and got it working. He didn't play so gave it to my youngest sister. She downsized a year ago and wanted me to take it. No room, need to downsize too... broke our hearts but we took it to the dump...

Nobody wants that stuff anymore, not even the museums!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
A good friend of ours did that, then he downsized and my brother got the Hammond, replaced a few tubes and got it working. He didn't play so gave it to my youngest sister. She downsized a year ago and wanted me to take it. No room, need to downsize too... broke our hearts but we took it to the dump...

Nobody wants that stuff anymore, not even the museums!

I'll bet there was at least one local musician that would have loved to own and play it.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

I have my aunt's shortwave radio (mine is in better shape than this pic) - doesn't really work on the flats (too much interference), but up on the mountain we'd get Russia, Japan and all sorts of countries stations coming in - no TV in the cabin, so other than games and books, this was our entertainment.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

One step above? That stuff tastes the same to me Shocked

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Do not even get me started on my small collection of fine vintage mechanical pencils some of which are fully automatic.

Like this one for instance of which I have two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305117825701?hash=item470...R_bLoJWLYw

The fit, finish, weight, feel and operation is like nothing else. Ray

I signed in to put it in my watch list, then realized I missed the zero on the end
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

that is very cool, l take my hat off to the young bloke.

619 201 0310
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
I have my aunt's shortwave radio (mine is in better shape than this pic) - doesn't really work on the flats (too much interference), but up on the mountain we'd get Russia, Japan and all sorts of countries stations coming in - no TV in the cabin, so other than games and books, this was our entertainment.

I’ve reported this to the appropriate authorities. They added it to my already thick file.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentricity may not be dying out Reply with quote

"broadsword calling danny boy...do you read me...over"

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: