Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car cover, or no car cover??
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor E
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Car cover, or no car cover?? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I just gave my 70 Ghia a new paint job!

I normally keep a quality cover on it when indoors, but my car painter said that I should probably not use a cover in order to let the paint "breathe."

Any insight? Good or bad experiences? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Car cover, or no car cover?? Reply with quote

Probably depends on the paint type, how long ago it was sprayed, and the environment where you store your car. Some paint does take a while to cure to full hardness..
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Car cover, or no car cover?? Reply with quote

Don't cover fresh paint, give it a while to fully harden. Especially outdoors, a cover could sand all of the paint off of edges in the wind.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Car cover, or no car cover?? Reply with quote

I’ve always had this idea to make a “no touch” car cover. It’s not a new idea but one along the lines of a mini garage. I’m sure you can just buy a ready made steel framed one but then that wouldn’t be as much fun as making your own. Very Happy

Space is always an issue and if your garage is like mine your pride and joy needs protection from dirt and dusts an accidental scrapes when moving past.

Normal car covers regardless of their fineness run the risk of scratching the paint especially if you don’t realise there’s dirt in the paint.

So make a box frame and cover it with plastic and put it on wheels.
My preference would be to make the frame out of plastic pipe. Out this neck of the woods we use 40mm 1&1/2” PVC pipe for pool connections. Using elbows, T’s and 45’s you can make a rigid lightweight frame. Use additional pipes and fittings to provide some rigidity especially over the roof. Put the whole lot on some castors so you can wheel it in and out of the way.

On the verticals and anywhere you may accidentally touch the car, cover with felt or carpet or even a pool noodle slit on one side and fitted over the pipe.

Cover the whole lot with your cover or choice. Plastic or a synthetic tarpaulin, canvas, old bed sheets or whatever. Tie it down in the manner of your choice. Velcro works well.

Park the car in the garage. Roll the cover over it, drop down the open end and your baby is safe. As the frame is not much bigger than the car itself it doesn’t take up much room and you can always move it around when the car isn’t covered. And if you don’t use glue on the fittings (use a small screw instead) you can always disassemble the frame and store it or move it elsewhere easily.
Professor E
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car cover, or no car cover?? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
I appreciate the input!
The no touch cover is an interesting idea.

I will be storing the car inside. It was sprayed before Thanksgiving last month.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: