Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Bug Ruby Red
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

Hi,

Thought I'd share some photos and details about my new to me bug.

Bought it a month ago in Southern UK, 200mile drive took me back to the North. Drove really nice.

It's a Swedish 65. More or less stock but with a light oldspeed theme.

Original paint and interior. 66k km from new. Interior is unique to Sweden I think. Still has original carpet, a bit worn in places.

Original motor with Dual Reichert Carb set up, 010 distributor and TDE exhaust tips. I think other than that motor is stock.

First bug I've owned where it didn't need a lot of work. Previous owners have really looked after her. Came with Koni shocks allround and a front anti roll bar, which I assume isn't stock. Beam looks brand new, maybe that was replaced.

It drives really nice. 1200 motor goes much better than I thought it would (Last bug was a stock 1500)

I have so far just replaced a tie rod end, checked valves and timing and that's it. Oh and got some 356 style wheels. 185/70/15 on 5.5 rims at back and 165/80/15 on the 4.5 rims on front.

Paint is amazing given it's age. A few areas are showing primer but I love that look too. So far just washed and waxed it and it comes up great.

The roads here are salted now, so she's tucked away for winter, but looking forward to getting some more miles in the spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

Nice and clean!
A roll bar was standard. The clamps look aftermarket.
Interior looks standard, though the cloth was a non-USA configuration, so I can't tell if it was unique for Sweden.
Possibly the 1200 was bored to 1385?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

nice! Cool

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

jaket3 wrote:

Those taillamp lenses are rare. Neither USA nor the usual Euro lenses had that large reflector style.

https://www.theautopian.com/i-have-learned-of-yet-...g-my-shit/

jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, I never knew that about the lenses. This site is great.

I did wonder if it maybe had the bigger pistons. I guess until I take the heads off I'll never know. If does seem very peppy for a 1200. Might just be the tailpipes which are quite loud compared to stock.

I don't really like mechanical advance only distributors. Always had a bit of a flat spot on previous cars. It doesn't have great driveabilty at low to moderate throttle. (Like my 1500 had) Has a bit of a stumble, which goes away if you open the throttle. It all seems a bit go-don't go if you know what I mean. I tried adjusting the timing, but it didn't change that. Currently set to 32 degrees at 3000rpm.

I might try a SVDA type and see if it's better and if I can find the vacuum port on the solex's. But it's a minor issue. Other than that it drives great.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

The stock 1200 vacuum distributor is a good match to the stock carb, whether 1200 or 1385cc. Maybe less peak HP at high RPM, but much more drivable on the street, and better mpg. But with your dual carb setup I'd ask here for advice on a good compromise solution. For $$$ you could consider the 123 programmable that even has a solid state vacuum sensor to simulate a vac can.
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

That's a beautiful and solid '65! Love the look, looks perfect Cool

Yannick
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

Very nice.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The stock 1200 vacuum distributor is a good match to the stock carb, whether 1200 or 1385cc. Maybe less peak HP at high RPM, but much more drivable on the street, and better mpg. But with your dual carb setup I'd ask here for advice on a good compromise solution. For $$$ you could consider the 123 programmable that even has a solid state vacuum sensor to simulate a vac can.

Thanks, I have the BLuetooth 123 on my Ghia, it works a treat. So could try it out easily enough.

For the vaccum signal do you think I could put a T in the balance pipe? Would that be sufficent since I can't see a port on either of the carbs itself.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

No, you want ported vacuum, not unported manifold vacuum.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bug Ruby Red Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
No, you want ported vacuum, not unported manifold vacuum.

Thanks Phil, I posted about this issue in the perfomance forum.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787640

I'm going to follow Alstrup's recommendations from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: