Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Seeing the craftmanschip, collected parts and plans this seems like a must-follow project Cool Good luck!

BTW: for some more inspiration: https://ardennenrennen.be/product/the-oldspeed-book-the-english-version-in-presale/
This book is really a must-have if you are into oldpseed Smile

Yannick
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Awesome work and thank you for documenting your build.

Your transaxle will hold up just fine. Biggest thing is do not dump the clutch at high rpms. You could fabricate a mid mount for it or utilize a Berg bar which would fit with the vintage speed look
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Top notch work. Really, every pic is a treat. The clean working environment makes me self concious about the constant state of mayhem in my own shop.. Very Happy
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

VWGlassee wrote:
Seeing the craftmanschip, collected parts and plans this seems like a must-follow project Cool Good luck!

BTW: for some more inspiration: https://ardennenrennen.be/product/the-oldspeed-book-the-english-version-in-presale/
This book is really a must-have if you are into oldpseed Smile

Yannick

Thank you for following my build. I actually have both the French and English version of the OldSpeed book. I pre-ordered it when they mentioned it in Hot VWs. It is a great book that I have drawn significant inspiration from for this build.

"Begin with the end in mind"
Stephen Covey

"Keep focused and seeking knowledge, you will never find disappointed, only small hiccups!"
Jimbo

56 Old Speed Euro Deville Influenced Build
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Awesome work and thank you for documenting your build.

Your transaxle will hold up just fine. Biggest thing is do not dump the clutch at high rpms. You could fabricate a mid mount for it or utilize a Berg bar which would fit with the vintage speed look

Good to hear about the transmission. At 59, my days of dumping the clutch are somewhat behind me. I will look into the mid mount and Berg bar. Thanks for the information.

Stephen Covey

"Keep focused and seeking knowledge, you will never find disappointed, only small hiccups!"
Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Top notch work. Really, every pic is a treat. The clean working environment makes me self concious about the constant state of mayhem in my own shop.. Very Happy

Thank you for the compliments. My shop is not as clean as it was since I started this stripping project. I am focusing all of my time on sealing up my naked car before it rusts. Once I am done, I will spend some time getting my shop back in shape again.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

I am done working my way through the outer body panels with the 80-grit DA and the Gibbs. I really like the Gibbs so far. It is easy to apply and I like how it looks. I still have to do the interior, trunk, engine bay and underside of the car.

I have a long way to go but it is easier now that I have confidence in this path. The hardest part of this hobby for me so far has been putting tremendous energy into a path that you hope works but you're not sure if it will. I was wandering around in the dark with no success before I asked Travis for help. I don’t really like to ask for help. Unfortunately, this time it cost me about 100 hours of work on the wrong paths. At least, I am really getting to know every part of this body.

Here are some pictures of the progress:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I was researching the Gibbs, I ran across this picture @foothillfab on Instagram.

Foothill Fabrication is run by Aaron Boughton, who made my favorite Diamond Green bug, which is Floyd’s birth certificate color. Here is one of the magazine covers with Aaron's car. I have collected all three issues with his car on the cover.

As far as I can tell Aaron keeps the entire car in Gibbs.

In the picture below, I think he has an entire car (sorry not a VW) assembled with Gibbs on the sheet metal. In Travis’ class, he talked about the possibility of assembling most of the car prior to doing the body filler step. This would allow you to find out any surprises and to make adjustments prior to body filler and paint. It would be even easier to make those adjustments if the car was covered in Gibbs versus Epoxy Primer. I may try this. I would imagine that you would need to recoat the car on a regular basis but It is really easy to apply and I think I could cover an entire car if needed fairly quickly.

It is great to see that Aaron is doing a custom VW. It is a pretty wild build to watch.

Next up is the interior.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

I got some more work done this week. DA sanded and sealed all of the interior except the roof, which I will do when I tilt the car to work on the underside.

Working on the engine bay and trunk next.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Just caught back up! Looking great! I love the bare sanded steel!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Another week of sanding with the DA and applying the Gibbs

Working on the trunk was brutal. So many angles, tight spots, and things in the way. Glad to be done with this part.

Finished the engine bay

I wanted to share my experience with the Gibbs. No rust at all so far, even with all the rain and moisture we have been having. It spreads easily. I have only used 1 1/2 cans to cover most of the body, and I can also shoot it into tight areas that I cannot get to with my shop towel. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Once I am done with the body, I am going to re-coat the body before I put it outside under the car cover. I will continue to update on how the Gibbs works longer term.

I am using a 6-inch,3-inch and 2-inch DA sander and several wire wheels for this part of the project. One thing I found that helped was to use a 3-inch sanding disk on the 2-inch DA sander. It allows me to get into the corners really well. I found this out by accident when I temporarily ran out of 2-inch sanding disks.

I have used three types of sanding disks: Duro Gold, Empire Abrasives, and these Purple Power disks. I am trying to apply a tooth to the metal and some of these disks lost the ability to scratch the metal. They basically just start to polish the metal. I will only be ordering the Purple Power going forward. The Duro Gold only lasted a few minutes each. They are the cheapest but still not worth the money. Empire was a close second. I am sure there even better sanding disks. Anyone have a favorite?

Time to sand the bottom of the body.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

This is a great thread. Excellent work, attention to detail and lots of really useful documentation of the processes. Thanks for taking the time to document your build...I'll be following along.
Cheers,
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
This is a great thread. Excellent work, attention to detail and lots of really useful documentation of the processes. Thanks for taking the time to document your build...I'll be following along.
Cheers,
Jim

Thank you for following along. I have been watching and following your '55 build thread. I have a June '55 Bug project that I want to get to in the future. The first 7 months of '55 sure are confusing. Your threads have been very helpful.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Finished DA Sanding and applying Gibbs to the underside of the car.

I am now done DA sanding, stripping, and applying the Gibbs to the body.

Before:

After:

This took about 250 hours to complete. Mostly because I essentially did the whole thing almost 3 times as I tried to find a successful process. Refining the steps should get this down to 100 hours on my next car.

I am always trying to figure the best steps to take for each part of the project.

Last night I was reading Jason Wrenn's (WrennMetallWorks) latest thread 59 Karmann Kab. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787915

Reading Jason's build threads are really educational. His work is incredible.

Here is a quote, from Jason, that caught my attention:

"My goal with every restoration that comes to me is to open up as many blind cavities as possible/justifiable and remove all collision damage, rust and subpar repairs before the blasting and primer is achieved."

Here are some pictures from his build thread showing some of the cavities that he opened up prior to media blasting and primer:

At this point of my learning curve, here are the steps I would take with my next car:

1. As per Jason, I would open up as many blind cavities as possible and remove all collision damage, rust and subpar repairs. Looking at Floyd, I would have roughly straightened the doors, fenders, hood, and decklid and mounted them with the running boards, Hopefully, this would have allowed me to fix the three bumper mounts that have accident damage. Next, I would have taken out the front firewall and spare tire tray. Also, I would have removed the outer skin of the rear driver's quarter panel and heater channels (after bracing) prior to mechanical stripping and media blasting. I missed this step. I will do all of these things and media blast the cavities before taking down my plastic booth. This is one of the disadvantages of the Gibbs. All of the dust from the media blasting is going to stick to the oily car. I will have to wipe it down with Gibbs again to remove all of the dust. This will cost me 3 to 5 hours because I did the steps out of order. Not too bad considering the overall hours of the project.

2. Mechanically strip the body. Get an 80-grit texture on everything possible.

3. Media blast everything that I could not mechanically strip.

4. Apply Gibbs to all of the bare metal.

My next step, in this project, will be to strip the doors, fenders, hood, deck lid, chassis, front beam, gas tank, and everything that is too big to blast in my blasting cabinet. Then I will remove all other rusted parts from the body (as mentioned above) and media blast the exposed body cavities.

Starting on the door now:

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

This week I was able to mechanically strip and coat all of the outside pieces except for the hood.

I had a problem with the rust inside the door, in areas I could not reach. I could try to media blast but there were areas that I could not reach with with the blasting nozzle.

Here are some pictures of the rusted area inside the door. This is the inside area below the bottom of window:

I decided to try to soak these parts. Wray Schelin talks a lot about Rust911 in his videos.

Here is a link to their site: https://www.rust911.com

I bought a 70-Gallon storage container. I will try to use this container to soak as many body, suspension parts, and fasteners, in Rust911, as possible. I will let you know how this goes.

Here is a video by Wray Schelin with one of his more creative uses of Rust911. I am working on plans to do something similar with my chassis.

Link

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

I use Ospho in a commercial sprayer. It has a 24 inch long wand that allows me to stick it into everything. I was able to stick it up into the roof members, to about the half way point with the help of patience! Lots of it!!! I then pressed a button and flooded the interior cavity with Ospho. Then as I continued to pull the trigger, I pulled the spray head out. The result is an Ospho’d interior channel. The snake camera shows that it was effective. The plus side to this method was that the Ospho was able to weep into the more open weld joints. There were a few random streaks of Ospho that found its way out. It turned all the rusty spots, black! Next step for me, on the body is to pour some epoxy primer into those cavities and roll it around in circles, hopefully covering those interior channels with epoxy primer!

Just food for thought! I am looking forward to your next installment! Looks great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Jimbo - Thanks for the advice.

I do not yet have a solution on how to deal with the body cavities and seams. I like your ideas and I look forward to your next steps with this hidden rust problem.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Here is a post that I really like about attacking the rust in the seams and sealing them off for the longer term:

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Tom, the post you quoted is my exact experience with POR15, but don't try to tell the followers. Guys that love POR just won't listen..
Soaking will do the job, I watched a YouTube video where a guy literally dunked an entire car in a tub he made from plastic and pallets. Afterwards when he was getting into some places he missed, he found the rust in the blind cavities was well treated. I'll try to find the link, as I forget what brand sauce he used. I haven't tried the Rust911, though I have used the Evaporust and Ospho, and I have a tank set up for electrolytic rust removal. Thats another fun rabbit hole to go down, though your family will panic that you're about to blow the house up..
Great work so far
j-sou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

TomVaughan64 wrote:
I also purchased these date matching 356 rims. They are all dated 7/56. Really close to my car’s birth month (6/56). These are made by SÜDRAD.

Here is quote from the Porsche 356 registry about SÜDRAD:

“Sudrad was one of three wheel makers that supplied Porsche up until the late 50s. Starting in 1960 only KPZ and Lemmerz supplied the wheels, but I am not sure why. While Sudrad did supply a fair amount of 16" wheels they did not supply that many 15" wheels that were on the cars starting in late 1955. I say this because I build sets of wheels and see far fewer Sudard's than I do Lemmerz or KPZ, in fact I generally avoid buying Sudrad because it is so hard to build sets, they are that rare. So for whatever reason they slowed than eventually stopped supplying wheels to Porsche, whether it was Porsche's decision or Sudrad's I don't know.”
– Adam Wright

Great info on the wheels. I hadn't heard of Sudrad until recently. That's amazing you found a date matching set! I bought a set of 12/55 KPZ 356 wheels that came with an odd 5th Sudrad. Strangely the Sudrad is stamped 10/56 on the face and 12/56 on the barrel. Maybe parts sat around for a while if they weren't producing many of them. Think I'll probably use the Sudrad as a spare in my 57.
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I use Ospho in a commercial sprayer.

Next step for me, on the body is to pour some epoxy primer into those cavities and roll it around in circles, hopefully covering those interior channels with epoxy primer!

I like this idea. Today, I ordered a commercial sprayer and a case of Ospho.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: