Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

When I talk about 'seam sealing' I do not actually mean caulk or automotive seam sealer that you put 'on top' of spot welded joints. I talk about soaking the overlap seams, creases, cavities, with thinned out epoxy primer, metal prep, or whatever you see fit and works well for you. My tip is I am always using the same kind of quality automotive primer from my local shop. Its used in heavy machinery equipment and trucks and steel construction. A quality industrial product. Have been using for 25 years now. I did experiments with exposing painted metal sheets to sun, rain, bending, hammering aso for a year or more. Similar to what the repair geek guy doing in his test video. Found the perfect primer. it comes as a 2K epoxy and they also fill it as 1k in paint cans ( for touch up). the 1k isn't as UV resistant, but otherwise the rust inhibiting pigments are the same. I use different spray nozzles with extended wands, fe. 3 or 4 inch plastic tubes added, flattened , what not. then I will 'pressure' feed a factory spot weld overlap with such a nozzle, directly from the spray can. The primer is very thin, and will be pushed into the overlap/seam by can pressure. you may want to try and experiment with that. Usually the primer will bleed through on the other side of the overlap, or try working both sides if accessible. I never use weld through primer. don't like it. it always splatters with TIG or MIG. it's better suited to spot welding but you need a strong machine with high amperes.
The way I am using thinned out primer, either from the can, or 2K, shoving and soaking with a brush, or both. then wiping off excessive stuff, you will get very well covered seams and cavities, BEFORE you even put on primer on the sheet metal surface or actual 'automotive' seam sealer.

Gunter thank you for the words of encouragement.

Your ideas for shooting epoxy primer into the seams are really helpful. I have been looking for good information on that subject with very little success. I will start to look for a thin industrial strength epoxy primer in a spray can that I can attach a nozzle. It might be time for me to go visit some of my local paint suppliers.

I have a couple of questions. Do you do anything to try and convert or dissolve the rust in the seams prior to the epoxy primer or is coating the seam with the epoxy primer enough? Is there any other pre-painting prep that you do to these seams prior to applying the epoxy primer?

Thanks again for your help.

"Begin with the end in mind"
Stephen Covey

"Keep focused and seeking knowledge, you will never find disappointed, only small hiccups!"
Jimbo

56 Old Speed Euro Deville Influenced Build
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

legit questions, Tom. I think there is no simple answer. because each car is different in condition, many different weld overlap styles and designs.

In my mind it makes no sense try rust converting or primer on seams that have already swollen up some ( between the spot welds). I try to thoroughly repair, drill out weld spots and replace if necessary. When I do acid dipping, personally I use vinegar acid cleaner, in a strong solution. it does not leave the black or grey coating you observed. but I DO pressure wash all soaked parts and seams after that, AND soak or scrub with neutral detergent household cleaner. Blow dry with heat gun or laying in the sun in summer. Metal parts treated like that, stay bare metal, even for years, in my shop, if I don't touch them with bare hands.
It's a pity that you did scrub the two rust converters you tried, because the yellowish or blackish hue your parts got, was part of the chemical treatment, either sulfur or phosphor (parkerized) based rust inhibitor coating. I know it doesn't look great, but these coatings CAN provide great base coats for paint, they work like etch primer or such. I cannot speak for any single product, coz I have tried dozens, but one has to find the stuff that works well with other products. There are just so many different ways to do it.
You are correct in checking your local shops and paint /industrial supplies. if or when you find a knowledgeable sales person, you may as well have hit the jackpot. Wink
I highly suggest to ask industrial business. you may get access with friends working in steel construction, farming machinery or such. Industrial stuff is always made to last and may even come at a more reasonable price than hobby supplies.

getting back to your initial question, yes I still do use rust converters, but not very often. for me, Nothing beats clean bare ( acid dipped) metal surface with a blasted surface for that extra grip and putting on HD epoxy primer and paint.

I do use an oil based rust penetrating called OWATROL. it creeps in every crack and may even creep upwards an inch or two in a tight seam. I take it that it is somewhat difficult to purchase in the US, since it is a European product. A friend of mine from Canada was able to find it. It will dry to the touch in a day or two but will need plenty of time to cure, so it can be painted over with epoxy products. a seam is always weeping some of the treatment somewhere. you do not want different non compatible products next to each other, and especially at a seam that is.

I had my 1964 Ford Transit van ( European opponent of the VW bus), undercarriage blasted and epoxy sealed 19 years ago... and it still looks great and has held up perfectly well. I do not drive it on salted roads, though. I don't think you will do that with your oval, either... Very Happy

I want to say that these are just my personal experience, and by no means a flawless tutorial of how it has to be done. There can be many different ways that work well.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
I do use an oil based rust penetrating called OWATROL. it creeps in every crack and may even creep upwards an inch or two in a tight seam. I take it that it is somewhat difficult to purchase in the US, since it is a European product. A friend of mine from Canada was able to find it. It will dry to the touch in a day or two but will need plenty of time to cure, so it can be painted over with epoxy products. a seam is always weeping some of the treatment somewhere. you do not want different non compatible products next to each other, and especially at a seam that is.

I really appreciate the help. I was able to order some of the OWATROL. It will take a few weeks to be delivered, which will give me time to try to find a primer and a delivery system.

Thanks for the information

Stephen Covey

"Keep focused and seeking knowledge, you will never find disappointed, only small hiccups!"
Jimbo

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Sounds good Tom. Owatrol is maybe not the holy grail in rust removal, but it can be used to great results in some cases. you'll get used to it. In case some of your other projects will be patina cars, Owatrol is a great sealer as well to old, cracked and surface rusted paint/finish. don't brush it on too thick for that application, just wipe down with a soaked rag once or twice a year. it gives a very soft, smooth, suede kind of finish to old paint. a friend of mine uses it that way on his og paint 1940 Plymouth. much better than clear coat. I use Owatrol on seams and cavities, that I cannot cut open and get access to.

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Sounds good Tom. Owatrol is maybe not the holy grail in rust removal, but it can be used to great results in some cases. you'll get used to it. In case some of your other projects will be patina cars, Owatrol is a great sealer as well to old, cracked and surface rusted paint/finish. don't brush it on too thick for that application, just wipe down with a soaked rag once or twice a year. it gives a very soft, smooth, suede kind of finish to old paint. a friend of mine uses it that way on his og paint 1940 Plymouth. much better than clear coat. I use Owatrol on seams and cavities, that I cannot cut open and get access to.

I received my Owatrol Oil. My favorite attribute for this Owatrol Oil is the fact that you do not need to flush it with water, which seems like a good idea when you are fighting rust. I also ordered the Owatrol C.I.P Primer, and the Owatrol-Alu (Marine Aluminum Paint). I am planning on using these three products on the inside of the chassis tunnel after dealing with the rust and the tubes.

I am going to try and use use the Owatrol Oil and Custom Shop Epoxy Primer Sealer/Hardener on the seams. First, I am going to remove all the bad sheetmetal so I can clean all those seams and exposed inner structure and then after welding new sheetmetal I will flood seams with Owatrol Oil and this epoxy primer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the link in case anyone else decides to try this primer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXWCN8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

I have spent the last three weeks trying to make my rust dissolving chassis/big part soaking booth.

I created the skeleton of the structure from 3/4 conduit and connectors.

I have had several set backs.

The bottom row of sprinklers that I installed did not shoot high enough to reach the chassis. I replaced the bottom sprinklers with four of these garden sprinklers:

Next, the car jacks were not stable enough and the bottom plastic was not stiff enough to move the water back into the bucket. I decided to create a plywood bottom with a support structure. Unfortunately, the rain has interrupted the building and it has been going slowly. Here is what I have created so far:

I think I have a ways to go on this part of the project but it has been interesting so far. I am trying to make this booth so that it can be broken down flat and put into storage to be used on my next project. I will let you know how this goes.

Since it is raining so much, I have been working on removing the rusted metal from Floyd in the shop.

I removed the spare tire wheel well.

Here part of the spare tire are that was removed:

The stock spare tire area was 0.7mm thick. I am not sure if it was thinned by the rust or if it came from the factory a little thin. The spare tire area on the Wolfsparts was 1.0 mm thick (as advertised).

I also started to remove the inner and part of the outer front wheel well.

Before:

Removing the spot welds:

Inner firewall removed:

Outer firewall cut and mocked up:

If the rain continues, I will keep removing bad sheetmetal. Otherwise, I will continue to build my rust removing booth.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Tom, do not use Owatrol and Epoxy at the same time ( as, within hours). Owatrol may take quite some time before you can paint over it with primer.
The other way around is no problem. paint outside seams with primer, and use Owatrol on dried epoxy. Owatrol takes some time to cure. It would probably be best to try on some of the old metal parts that you cut from the car. like the spare wheel well. You may even try all your chosen material on og overlapping parts as the strengthener piece on the spare wheel well. after you soaked part of the seam with Owatrol and stuffed others with thinned epoxy. undrill the spot welds and see how it worked. I am sure you will find your preferred method.

TomVaughan64 wrote:

I am going to try and use use the Owatrol Oil and Custom Shop Epoxy Primer Sealer/Hardener on the seams. First, I am going to remove all the bad sheetmetal so I can clean all those seams and exposed inner structure and then after welding new sheetmetal I will flood seams with Owatrol Oil and this epoxy primer.

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Tom, do not use Owatrol and Epoxy at the same time ( as, within hours). Owatrol may take quite some time before you can paint over it with primer.
The other way around is no problem. paint outside seams with primer, and use Owatrol on dried epoxy. Owatrol takes some time to cure. It would probably be best to try on some of the old metal parts that you cut from the car. like the spare wheel well. You may even try all your chosen material on og overlapping parts as the strengthener piece on the spare wheel well. after you soaked part of the seam with Owatrol and stuffed others with thinned epoxy. undrill the spot welds and see how it worked. I am sure you will find your preferred method.

Thank you for the great advice.

I was planning on flooding the seams with acetone in an attempt to neutralize the Gibbs and clean the seam as much as possible. Then I was going to apply the Owatrol Oil and let it soak in and dry for a week. Then apply the thinned Epoxy Primer.

Your idea to test the process on OG overlapping parts is a really good idea.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

I have been working on replacing the rotten sections of the front firewall.

Cleaned up some of the rust.

I used sheetmetal screws to screw on the Klassic Fab repair panels. They were a little long. I will have to cut them shorter after I see how they match up with the heater channels.

I then screwed on the Virtanen Restoration Panels piece. This is a excellent piece. I still have to hammer down the flanges but the piece seems to be an exact replica.

In my limited experience so far I would have to say the first tier replacement parts are: Wolfsparts Virtanen, and DKB Metals. Klassic Fab would be in the second tier. Klassic Fab panels are good but not quite as correct as the first tier. I have not found any of the other replacement panels that I would buy again. However, keep in mind there are plenty of companies I have not tried yet.

We are going to continue to replace and fix the sheet metal body parts. I am planning on connecting everything with sheet metal screws during this stage. I am new to this and I want the chance to adjust my work as I start to work my way around the car.

I am still working on my Chassis/ Big Part Rust Dissolving Station. Here is a picture of the painted base skeleton:

Here it is complete with the plywood top. The base drops 3/4" per foot and the front part tilts inward to encourage water flow back into the bucket:

Here it is with the cage.

Next, I will wrap up the cage using plastic and velcro and continue to test out the sprinkler system.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Instead of screws, which buckle the sheet metal and leave a nipple. Why not try some Clecos? I love them. They leave a 3/16” hole but that is the same size bit I use to drill out spot welds!

Highly recommend them!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Instead of screws, which buckle the sheet metal and leave a nipple. Why not try some Clecos? I love them. They leave a 3/16” hole but that is the same size bit I use to drill out spot welds!

Highly recommend them!

I have clecos. I could not use them on the Klassic Fab firewall part nearest to the front of the car and then get the Virtanen part on because they would interfere with the panel. However, I could have used them on the Viratnen repair panel. Maybe use screws where the clecos would interfere and use clecos otherwise.

Thanks for the advice.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Nice work Tom...as we all experience there's nearly as much time making up the jigs, tools, cleaning apparatus and support mechanisms as there is in the actual work on our cars. That's a pretty amazing bathtub for your beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

I see that the putting green has been utilized as the foundation. Hope that the drips don’t kill the grass or plastic!

Nice job!

Doug, very nicely stated! It consumes a shit ton of time! There is no way to insert that into a build thread, but it does seem like Tom has!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Things have been moving slower lately. I have been putting time into my 55 to get ready for the Kelley Park show.

This is Gerry:

For Floyd (my 56), I have been using my new sprinkler booth to remove the rust on all of the parts too big to soak.

First test was the chassis:

Sealed it up and turned it on. Opened it up occasionally to move the hose that was in the tunnel

Here are the before and after pictures:

I used this spray gun to spray the Owatrol Oil. This spray gun is a little flimsy but it worked really well inside the tunnel:

Here is a picture of the Owatrol Oil coated tunnel from the front of the tunnel. Not perfect but no new rust inside the tunnel over the past couple of weeks.

Here is the finished chassis:

I am working my way through soaking and stripping all of the other parts and fasteners on this car as I try to wrap this stripping part of the project up.

Here is the results on the gas tank:

I am going to do some dent removal and then seal up the inside of the tank.

I did some research and landed on this sealer:

Here is one of the quotes about this sealer:

I got the Petrol Blue. We'll see how it goes.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

Tom you are relentless !!! Shocked The results are nothing but amazing. Your patience in building your sprinkling booth really paid off big time. You built it so well it would be possible to sell it or the plans, or rent it out to other restorers !
I think the sprinkling booth is the new rotissery in car restoration.... Very Happy

TomVaughan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Old Speed Euro DeVille Influenced Build Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Tom you are relentless !!! Shocked The results are nothing but amazing. Your patience in building your sprinkling booth really paid off big time. You built it so well it would be possible to sell it or the plans, or rent it out to other restorers !
I think the sprinkling booth is the new rotissery in car restoration.... Very Happy

Thank you for the nice comment. I like to build things. I would be more than happy to let others know how I made this booth and what I would do different next time.

Stephen Covey

Jimbo

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: