Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper”
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

I’ve decided to document the work I’ve done to my first car i got back when i was 16. That was in 2000! It was a rolling shell that came out of a VW shop in El Centro California, Edge VW i think. My dad paid $800 at the time and sent the next 3 years slowly working on it. We built an 1800cc single port with ICTs and all the interior and finished it my junior year of high school. I made trips all over the west coast going to shows and camping during my college years.

College really didn’t work for and me so i enlisted in the Air Force with the plan of only doing 4 years. Well, 4 years turned into almost 18 years this year and the bus has been to New Mexico, Wyoming, Washington, and Texas with not much use. Now my 2 boys are at an age where they want to go camping and help with all thing VWs, so the old bus is getting a revival.

I’ll try to keep this post as up to date as i can with the progress and will try to hunt down some old photos to show what it came from to now. The most recent addition was the Poptop. The metal work was done in Phoenix by Roy Jonas who has done a few Westy Poptops. My was number 7.

Here is the progress so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had to move the other toys to make room to work.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

Great story and conversion!
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing this story. Love that the bus started out as a panel. Great looking old bus.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

Turret Tops on Split Window Buses are killer. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

burnite2 wrote:

Is all the 90 degree bend formed by just bending up?
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
burnite2 wrote:

Is all the 90 degree bend formed by just bending up?

Yup. A form is clamped down after the hole is cut and an air hammer is used to make the lip and stretch the corners.
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

One of the early shows after the bus was painted. BBB back in 2006.
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

Small update. I got a few things done over the weekend. Painted the top but ran out of Pearl White. Hopefully this weekend I get more paint to finish the top and get clear on it. The wood frame is done and all glued in. Next is the canvas and mounting the top. Close!

Last edited by burnite2 on Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

I know who did that roof modification for you, and he is very skilled, and a great fabricator. He's a close friend too. I recognized his unique clamping jig and his garage. Tell us more about that experience with Roy. He installed my Westfalia pop-top onto my "tin-top" Camper back in 2019. I provided an original roof section of a SO-42 pop-top, so my Fiberglas top is an original German one refreshed for the install including a tent from Helmut. Roy does great work...

Enjoy your Campmobile!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

burnite2 wrote:

And what a nice toys you have, besides your split! A BMW boxer for sure and I guess a Honda 450 Black Bomber, A Honda S90 and maybe a Honda CB72? That's hard to see from the rear. Love the classic Honda's, the early 50cc models are all icons and are very populair as mopeds here in Holland.
Great story of your bus and holding on to it, even when life changes. Now it's becoming part of your family. Nice work on the roof, it looks like it has been there al the time.
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I know who did that roof modification for you, and he is very skilled, and a great fabricator. He's a close friend too. I recognized his unique clamping jig and his garage. Tell us more about that experience with Roy. He installed my Westfalia pop-top onto my "tin-top" Camper back in 2019. I provided an original roof section of a SO-42 pop-top, so my Fiberglas top is an original German one refreshed for the install including a tent from Helmut. Roy does great work...

Enjoy your Campmobile!

Bill

Roy was great! I drove down from Albuquerque before Christmas and picked it up a week later after Christmas with my folks in Yuma, AZ. He had it done in one day and sent pics of the before, during, and after. I couldn’t be more happy with the results! I had planned on cutting the hole myself but thankfully i let a pro do it.

Last edited by burnite2 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

ddutch wrote:
burnite2 wrote:

And what a nice toys you have, besides your split! A BMW boxer for sure and I guess a Honda 450 Black Bomber, A Honda S90 and maybe a Honda CB72? That's hard to see from the rear. Love the classic Honda's, the early 50cc models are all icons and are very populair as mopeds here in Holland.
Great story of your bus and holding on to it, even when life changes. Now it's becoming part of your family. Nice work on the roof, it looks like it has been there al the time.

The two hobbies i got from my dad, Volkswagens and old motorcycles. The bikes are a 63’ CB77, 63’ Sport 50, 65’ CB450 bomber, and a 72’ R75. As you can see i have a soft spot for old black and chrome bikes, i just can help myself. Thanks for the kind words!
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

burnite2 wrote:
ddutch wrote:
burnite2 wrote:

The two hobbies i got from my dad, Volkswagens and old motorcycles. The bikes are a 63’ CB77, 63’ Sport 50, 65’ CB450 bomber, and a 72’ R75. As you can see i have a soft spot for old black and chrome bikes, i just can help myself. Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, I'm with you! The CB77 is a bigger 305cc version of the 250cc CB72, both are beautiful bikes! That little Honda Sport 50 is also known as a C110, a sportsbike version of the famous Supercup with a tuned pushrod engine. An early black S90 or Sport 90, with the grey (and short rear) fenders, would be a very nice adition to your collection. Here is a great story about the S90 in which 3 of the Honda's you own are mentioned as well; https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanes...z24jfzbro/

I think the early original S90 is one of the most beautiful motorbikes ever made and it has the famous OHC engine which gets you to over 60 mph and sounds great too. The design is so balanced, timeless and right in my opinion. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/1965_Honda_S90.jpg We had a very rare 50cc moped pushrod version of the S90 here in Holland, called the C320A or C320S, which was made in the first foreign Honda factory in Belgium; https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_C320.jpg Unfortunately it's a bit small for me, being almost 2 meters tall...
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

I got the pop top on and canvas in after 3 coats of base and 3 coats of clear. I still need the hold downs, the handles, insulation, headliner, and the rubber trim that goes around the hole in the roof.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

Yes sir. 🫡 Turret tOp in the house.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

I got some more work done this weekend and the Poptop install should be complete. I’m just waiting on the hold down brackets that are coming from NLA VW Parts. Hopefully Monday I’ll get them in. The rubber trim that goes around the hole in the roof as a pain to install by myself but in the end i got it.

burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

I finally found a Mallory Unilite distributor! It was a little crusty but it cleaned up fairly well by soaking in evaporust. I just have to clean up the cap and it’s ready to install. It will be replacing a VJU4BR8 on my 76x88 single port.

burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

I got the Unilite in the bus and got it adjusted to have 12 degrees at idle and 32 degrees at 3000 RPMs, along with 11 degrees of vacuum advance. This should give me 43 degrees of advance at 3000 RPMs and up with part throttle. I checked the air/fuel to make sure the timing change didnt mess with the jetting. Everything was good with off idle at 14:1, cruise at 16:1 to 16.8:1, and full throttle at 12.8:1 to 13.2:1. This is with all smooth transitions between the all the throttle positions. Not bad for a $25 distributor!

Nice idle at 800RPM with this a/f ratio.

burnite2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Revival “66’ EZ Camper” Reply with quote

One small update since getting the Poptop installed. I did a quick recover of the back seats since the original yellow vinyl was getting pretty ratty. I patched the vinyl where i could and then covered the seats with a black and yellow plaid. Turned out well for a quick job.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: