Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

OK folks, I'm rebuilding my 1972 ish 1600cc engine and have fitted the thermostat and hooked up all the linkages to the flaps, including the spring. I have checked the thermostat and it appears to be working as it should i.e. filling the gap within the bracket when hot. My problem is that the movement of the flaps is not that much, they will go from closed to only about 20mm open, when hot. Is that enough of an opening or should they go to fully open? Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.

Don
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

Hi Don,

should be fully open like this

Link
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

Thanks or the video. I thought that was what it should do but mine is not opening more than about 20 mm and the thermostat appears to be working OK.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

check for the free movement of all of the stuff...Nice video for sure

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

All connections are free and moving OK. I have managed to get it to open a bit more, still not fully open but it might be enough.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

For sure the parts are all original to the engine? There were different versions of both the thermostat rod, and the flap control rod. Maybe if a rod is too short the flaps can't be adjusted to fully open?
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

I have gone ahead and bought a new style (Mexican) thermostat and fitted it. The flaps are opening as they should now. Thanks everyone for your help.
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

Did your old thermostat expand and contract the full length? Maybe it was bolted too high up and did not take advantage of complete expansion?

There were a few threads on new style thermostat and how they fail in closed position ie flaps closed not sure if that’s the same one you bought
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
Did your old thermostat expand and contract the full length? Maybe it was bolted too high up and did not take advantage of complete expansion?

There were a few threads on new style thermostat and how they fail in closed position ie flaps closed not sure if that’s the same one you bought

The old thermostat is supposed to open up to 46mm my one only went to 42.2mm. That might have been enough but I didn't want to chance it. It was the new style that i bought and I had to modify the bracket to make it fit.
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

No it is not enough. It should be fully open

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s hard to see the thermostat and angle of the flaps but they are horizontal. Also not the hole in the right flap. That is where rubber stopper supped to be to prevent flaps from hitting the ceiling of the opening.

Can you take a picture of the flaps the lever between cylinders 1 and 2 and thermostat? I think there maybe something flipped or binding

Anton
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Thermostat & Flaps Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
No it is not enough. It should be fully open

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s hard to see the thermostat and angle of the flaps but they are horizontal. Also not the hole in the right flap. That is where rubber stopper supped to be to prevent flaps from hitting the ceiling of the opening.

Can you take a picture of the flaps the lever between cylinders 1 and 2 and thermostat? I think there maybe something flipped or binding

Anton

Hi Anton, Thanks for your response nd advice. I decided that the best solution was to buy a new thermostat which is now fitted and the flaps open fully. The ngine is now fully rebuilt and back in the car. Thanks again Don.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: