Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steel Wheel Painting Decisions
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

Hey Guys, can you help me decide what to do.

I bought four new wheels for my Bug and want to paint them a single color.

I was going to scuff them up and paint with WW spray paint which has an Acrylic Lacquer base according to their tech guys. My thinking about doing it this way was, when I get chips, I could just sand and repaint easily and cheaply. Also, I was thinking about using a 1K Acrylic Lacquer clear by Duplicolor on top.

On the other hand, I suck at this type of work. Should I take to a body shop and have them do a base and clear for me. What do you think a body shop would charge. Also, if a body shop does it, getting a chip from taking the hub caps on and off or from rocks would be more challenging for me to fix and have it look right.

I don't want to powdercoat.

What would you do. Smile Question Question Question

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

WW paint is nice but chips/flakes VERY easily. I suggest following it up with a clear coat that would be compatible. The clear will be much more durable to prevent scratching from hubcaps, etc but keep in mind the longer you let them cure, the more durable the paint will be

2K clear will probably be a better choice for longevity
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

A good 2k paint, allowed to fully harden is very durable. And, wheels are very forgiving to paint; if I can do it anyone can do it. Also, if you experiment, you can figure out how to get the caps off without chipping the paint. I made a second hubcap tool from 1/8" tig welding rod, and covered the ends with shrink wrap, it lets me get under the cap on both sides without having a steel edge right on the paint
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

esde wrote:
A good 2k paint, allowed to fully harden is very durable. And, wheels are very forgiving to paint; if I can do it anyone can do it. Also, if you experiment, you can figure out how to get the caps off without chipping the paint. I made a second hubcap tool from 1/8" tig welding rod, and covered the ends with shrink wrap, it lets me get under the cap on both sides without having a steel edge right on the paint

Thank you. Do you mean 2K clear? Like in a spray can?
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

Howdy ...

I think a 2K paint/clear (aka- 2pack) simply means it must be mixed with a hardener.

Even auto parts houses have them. There is a small reservoir on the bottom of the can that must be punched into the main can & mixed thoroughly.

Fully curing allows the solvents to evaporate or "off gas" from the mixture.

I scuffed & sanded an old metal toolbox that needed some love. I used Rust-Oleum (no hardener) and it took almost 2months before my finger nail didn't leave an indention.

Good luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Howdy ...

I think a 2K paint/clear (aka- 2pack) simply means it must be mixed with a hardener.

Exactly. A good 2 part paint, not rattle can paint. It goes on thicker and dries harder. Regular rattle can paint dries when the solvent evaporates out, 2k paint dries because the 2 components chemically harden.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

You could use Spraymax 2k clear. They have a mat, satin, and high gloss

https://www.google.com/search?q=spray+max+2k+clear...p;ie=UTF-8
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Spraymax 2K Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

I can't believe how these turned out! WW L466 silver beige, then Spraymax 2K. I did not spray a test panel first, I just gambled.

I used a red scotch-guard pad on the rim paint, then 3x silver beige, then 5x coats of Spraymax.

I read incessantly about 2K paint and the isocyanates and wore extensive PPE.

Very Happy

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

Good job! Did you use the gloss or satin 2k clear?

Make sure you tell the guys who install the tires and tire valves to be careful and do not scratch.

You should have good durability.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Good job! Did you use the gloss or satin 2k clear?

Make sure you tell the guys who install the tires and tire valves to be careful and do not scratch.

You should have good durability.

Thank you. Yes, gloss.

At first, I went to a auto body shop to have them paint these and they wanted $900 bucks.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

Your wheels look awesome! I'm not a fan of powder coated wheels either, had far better results with epoxy primer and 2K paint... and you don't get that annoying buildup between the hoop and wheel center! SprayMax is an awesome project. I've used it on several projects over the years including whole bumper covers. VERY durable if applied correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Steel Wheel Painting Decisions Reply with quote

Turned out. Now I am afraid to take them off. I hate the hubcaps snapping down on the new paint. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: