Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1998 Cabrio Project
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1646gofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: 1998 Cabrio Project Reply with quote

Ive wanted a Cabrio for awhile now, finally found one in my home state. Runs and drives, and the convertible top works great. I got it for $350, because it has a lot of rust and the brakes are bad. Here we go…
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heres a quick walkaround video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTXhSNWxG3Q
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio Project Reply with quote

You got your money's worth in the drive train but as a body man from a way back... that rust damage looks pretty major! You haven't found it all yet either. If I were you I would look for another solid body shell to transfer the parts into.
1646gofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio Project Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
You got your money's worth in the drive train but as a body man from a way back... that rust damage looks pretty major! You haven't found it all yet either. If I were you I would look for another solid body shell to transfer the parts into.

What is interesting is that I have checked the floors and rocker panels and only found a few holes to fix, mostly solid metal with intact factory paint… in general the car is pretty structurally sound which I am pretty happy about.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio Project Reply with quote

Check the suspension mounting points, the shock tower seams and the body seams under the car. Any swelling between the spot welds is an indication that all is not well and structural failure is imminent. This is especially important on a car with no structural roof!

I have a pair of 2 door MKII Jettas here with far far less visible rust than you have there, not a single rust hole on the outside body panels but when you look at the body seams, most of them are swelling between the welds. These car have only about 8 years of life left in them at best before enough of the spot welds let go and make them unsafe and only if they are never driven in the salt spray gain. This is one of them. No holes in the rockers, fenders, doors, dog legs, trunk lid or any other place that they usually show up but a close look underneath is an eye opener when you know what to look for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1646gofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio Project Reply with quote

Definitely will check those spots now, thanks for the info
1646gofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio Project Reply with quote

Its been a few weeks, Ive finally finished up all the rust repair spots. I checked the strut towers and they are in good shape, so just some cosmetic rust and a few small rocker panel patches.
https://youtu.be/lZLaga51hxI?si=WU9HDRZJKUFullng
1646gofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio Project Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/fFhCbcSjqyQ?si=LBMfdb8BMBXEnkpN

I recently finished putting together the interior. Its not perfect but its nice and clean and definitely looks way better than it did.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: