Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio Antenna Hook-up for 914-4?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Radio Antenna Hook-up for 914-4? Reply with quote

Amazing how simple things like installing and plugging in a simple radio antenna on a 914 can turn into a seemingly impossible, Herculean task!

My 74 914 has a very nice custom radio installed in it but no antenna. Where the antenna is supposed to live (on the left front top cowl) there's just a gaping 1" hole.

OK, sez I, this is a no-brainer. Just buy an antenna and plug it into the radio, eh! Except that the radio is buried behind a large mass of 'stuff' inside the trunk! How to get to the bloody radio's antenna plug-in without gutting all that crap that blocks access to it from the front trunk?

I am hoping that some equally benighted soul out there with a 914 has confronted this perplexing problem before me and can proctor me through the process! Any antenna wizards in the audience?

Ironically, I NEVER listen to music while driving my cars. I'm one of those odd techno-heads who would rather listen to the engine so as to detect any gremlins at work before they engage in any skullduggery...just want to 'restore' the system to its showroom condition. Rolling Eyes

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio Antenna Hook-up for 914-4? Reply with quote

OEM the radio was installed in the dash just to the left of the glove box. If you can't to the back of it from the passenger's side you could try removing the glove box or the front radio dash panel. To remove the dash panel - remove the knobs, then the nuts holding the tuning controls (ie where the knobs were), the trim, and the dash plate (with waffle vinyl) should come out then. There may be a support/ground post/nut/strap on the back - that will need to be removed to pull the radio toward the interior of car allowing you to insert an antenna cable. This is for a period correct radio - new radios probably don't have classic knobs - in that case, the face gets removed - there may be a slide-in collar that the radio then slides into and requires a release tool for it to slide out.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio Antenna Hook-up for 914-4? Reply with quote

Hallo Wolfie! Vielen Dank für diese hilfreichen Informationen.

The back of my radio appears to be accessible from under the dash, as you say, with the antenna slot clearly indicated at the left rear of its chassis. My main problem really is how to snake the antenna's coax cable through the bodywork from its site on the left top front cowl. Is there an orifice or passage through which I may slip the coax cable, or must I drill a hole so as to access the instrument panel's underside? That's mainly what I'm sehr unklar darüber! Think

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio Antenna Hook-up for 914-4? Reply with quote

there is a template for precise location of the factory antenna at the back of the drivers fender and there is a hole behind the original radio location for the lead to poke through without any fuss. EASY
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio Antenna Hook-up for 914-4? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
there is a template for precise location of the factory antenna at the back of the drivers fender and there is a hole behind the original radio location for the lead to poke through without any fuss. EASY

Did finally position the antenna at that exact spot and found the hole in the inner fender wall to poke the coax cable through into the front (driver's left) trunk, whence I snaked it behind the heated air (defrost) box to the right side of that area and consequently found the hole that exists there to enter the behind-the-dash area. Alas, the antenna's coax is just a tad too short, so I had to order a three-foot extension (which is currently on its way to me). Once I have that, I should be able to complete the coax hook-up to the radio, and VOILA!

[As I may have mentioned already, I NEVER listen to music while driving, being one of those German sportscar people who were taught to always monitor the engine sounds (besides, a properly operating engine is the sweetest music, anyway!)! But I am also obsessive about making sure my car is OEM conforming in every possible detail. I am told Heaven has a place for such OC car nerds (but I suspect it's actually on the first level of Dante's Hades!).] Thanks!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: