Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Hi,

As I'm planning to upgrade my engine (currently 2.1L MV), I was wondering if there is anybody that already has the Boxeer 1.4L TSI engine?

If so, could you comment what your experiences are:
- Install effort
- Drivability
- MPG's

P.S. I'm aware there quite some people here have had bad experiences with some previous kit they sold and I have read those topics on the samba, but I'm mainly interested in the 1.4 TSI.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

It's a very new offering. I'd ask the vendor for customers you can talk to about their experiences, because there's probably only a handful or two out there. If the vendor can't/won't provide that, that's a data point in and of itself.

Back in the day, I used to "beta" test a fair bit of mountain bike product as a sponsored, but not paid, racer. While it was nice to get the free stuff to try, sometimes being a beta tester means you get to find the problems. Before I invested the money in something like an entirely new engine and related management system, I'd want to know it had plenty of field testing.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
It's a very new offering. I'd ask the vendor for customers you can talk to about their experiences, because there's probably only a handful or two out there. If the vendor can't/won't provide that, that's a data point in and of itself.

Back in the day, I used to "beta" test a fair bit of mountain bike product as a sponsored, but not paid, racer. While it was nice to get the free stuff to try, sometimes being a beta tester means you get to find the problems. Before I invested the money in something like an entirely new engine and related management system, I'd want to know it had plenty of field testing.

1000%. Just like the newest of anything (cars especially) you want to give it a year or so for things to smooth out. The TSI had its own growing pains if I recall. There are ones to look out for. I also believe you need a majority of all the sensors for it to maximize mpg and performance so that is something you should inquire about.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

that engine in VAG cars new is 100% garbage. I would do some research. they are not very robust and would be short lived in a heavier vanagon.

remember, there is NO replacement for displacement

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Interesting engine. Might be a trans saver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-o-XWut0SY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9ex36vx7M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that engine in VAG cars new is 100% garbage. I would do some research. they are not very robust and would be short lived in a heavier vanagon.

remember, there is NO replacement for displacement

This. Something about camshaft adjuster bolts falling out is one of the big ones. And isn't this the engine that requires the stupid electronic setup to do the timing belt to make sure the timing is accurate?

I'd rather have a 25 year old 1.8T or a stock engine over a modern engine.
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Definitely do not put a 1.4 in any westfalia. Even the 1.8T has a hard time with cooling on hot summer days going up hills for longer times.
In addition all new products from Boxeer suck the first couple years till they mature. You going to be his guinea pic because all his development is tested by his customers. Bin their, done this, twice! Never again.!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Have to be carefull here. There are alot of haters that will hate no matter what due to there own special intrests. These kits have been on the market for some time now. I would be comfortable with boxeer currently. Bet the 1.4 would be easyer on the transmission then more higher powerful kits.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Of corse Ocean again. The only Boxeer fan. Look up his post and you see he fights for Boxeer like he is a family member. Dude you really need some help.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

There always have to be early adopters so that the rest of us can enjoy properly vetted conversions. If you choose this conversion, you will be on the bleeding edge- are you comfortable with that? I did a bleeding edge conversion once, and it worked out poorly for me. There are plenty of known options from well respected vendors on the market, so there are safe routes you can take. If you choose the route less traveled, go into it knowing you could lose a lot of money and time. Keep us posted if you do the conversion- whether it goes well, or not!
Some people call him Maurice...
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Thats is a good advice ledogboy
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
Of corse Ocean again. The only Boxeer fan. Look up his post and you see he fights for Boxeer like he is a family member. Dude you really need some help.

From the guy slandering the company over and over again. Rolling Eyes I think its importiant to note your talking about something you bought 6-7years ago like it was yesterday.

" Dude you really need some help." I will ask my psychiatrist wife how im doing. Im sure she will say im fine, then ask me to do more around the house. Thanks..

The conversion has been out for years. Safe to say ots sorted. Be glade someone is taking the risk and keeping options open for the vanagon community

Cluster Rebuild:

Last edited by 0cean on Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
There always have to be early adopters so that the rest of us can enjoy properly vetted conversions.

that is true, but it's an overly complex dog turd engine and was from the word go.

I hate to even say this...but I'd build a WBX to the 9's before I would use the engine in question. I mean seriously, the problems are too many to list and very well documented.

I have nothing against Boxeer but i'm not afraid to call a spade a spade either...that engine is poison in the car it was designed for, now let's tax it to push an overloaded brick down the road...

The only people this engine makes sense for is those with bottomless pockets because unless you're ready to gear up for a bunch of must have specialty tools to work on it, let alone do the timing belt... it's a poor choice of powertrain for people with limited mechanical experience.

This is a good video on how a T belt replacement goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=IQkRKRzxinU

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

So why a 1.4L?? I've been very happy - so far - with the 1.8L TSI in my 2015 Golf, and I could see that in a van, but why such a small engine that you'll make work it's guts out pushing a big brick? I see a lot of them in Europe in Polos and such, but never had any experience with one personally. Anything special about them I'm missing?
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

The reason is that Greg gets them dirt cheap in Europe and he offloads those crapy engines to the vanagon folks. Is all about money. Next he offers a 800cc engine marking it as the holy grail to push 6000 pound Westfalia’s.
Check how much issues the 1.4 has in tiny cars 🚘 n europe.
If you buy one you are not allowed to complain because you have no warranty at all. Go with Stephans 1.8t or Subaru but stay away as far as possible from this 1 man crap company.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
The reason is that Greg gets them dirt cheap in Europe and he offloads those crapy engines to the vanagon folks. Is all about money. Next he offers a 800cc engine marking it as the holy grail to push 6000 pound Westfalia’s.
Check how much issues the 1.4 has in tiny cars 🚘 n europe.
If you buy one you are not allowed to complain because you have no warranty at all. Go with Stephans 1.8t or Subaru but stay away as far as possible from this 1 man crap company.

AND AGAIN we are seeing your staight lies about whats being offered by this company. 1.4t (Turbo, is the T-stands for) has 143 Hp and is very compairable to the old 2.2 subaru conversions that where going in vanagons.. A very good option over the stock vw engine 85hp-110 hp that is now more like 65-95hp. Greg is offering 1.4T as new engine with zero miles or low milage options. Ita all over europe because its a good proven engine.

We can see you again trying to push people to stephens with your out and out lies again for the third time. Just stop fabricating lies and trying to damage this company. I understand why greg washed his hands of you;. Look at how you act. Grow up troll.

Cluster Rebuild:

Last edited by 0cean on Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Link
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

Link

LoL... no anger here.. wouldent be worth it. Now i would be mad if there was "no soup for you!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmaJkME2m4

Cluster Rebuild:

Last edited by 0cean on Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

To orginial poster: I have no intrest in boxeer or sponsorship from them. Im just a customer like you. Would i do business with Greg again? Well, Yes, but he can be difficult to get ahold of. The products are very good but if your not machanicly inclinded, let him install to avoid the problems. Just like the subaru conversions are not easy no brainers to install, same goes with these.

Let us know what you decided and take and post pictures!!!!

Cluster Rebuild:

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Not the answer to the question, but I would recommend OP looked at FAS. Their 1.8T turnkey kit costs $1000 less than the Boxeer 1.4T from Boxeer. And you get to buy from FAS, which seems to have a way better track record than Boxeer (on this forum at least...).
Just a very satisfied FAS customer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: