Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I take chrome Fuchs back to raw?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flightofphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:32 am    Post subject: Can I take chrome Fuchs back to raw? Reply with quote

I have chromed Fuchs (rear are original 911, front are Flat4) and I like this raw look. Does anyone know if it is possible to go from chrome back to this brushed look? If so, what is involved and who does this kind of job?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Can I take chrome Fuchs back to raw? Reply with quote

It can be done, but ideally by a professional plating company. You use the reverse current in 15% sulfuric acid to remove the chrome and underlying nickel without damage to the alloy, but I don't think you want to do this at home as one of the byproducts is highly toxic hexavalent chromium.

As a side note, the wheel pictured looks like it's anodized, not chromed or brushed. If that's what you have, leave it. If that's what you want, your wheels will need to be re-polished then anodised after stripping - not cheap. A satin clearcoat over polished will give a good approximation but not be as hard wearing.

The tyre is also way too narrow for that rim looking at how stretched it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: